Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2023, 03:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas MPV
Engine: Cummins 6BTAA
Rated Cap: 84
allison s2000 go no go then go

Hi all a bit long winded post but I have a client at my rv park in a 2005 bluebird C7 allison s2000 tranny. He had some previous issues and replaced the tranny sensors. Drove to my place backed up then couldn't get it to go in gear again. Diesel mechanic checked out everything cleared the codes and went for 45 minute test drive. Next morning tranny light on and no shifting. I took out some tranny relays one was intermittent replaced it and all is good. Then next start up same problem. Checked the relays again and all is good again. He's now afraid to test drive it. Mechanic said and I can confirm all connections are clean and tight wiring looks good. Mechanic did say that one of the new sensors was just over 1000 ohms and the old was just over 2000 ohms. Not sure what it should read but does anyone have some helpful strategy? We are in Southern Mexico and everything is a little bit more difficult. Thanks in advance.

powderskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 04:55 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
I had my Allison 2000 (2003 International 3800) go into limp mode, but after I shut it down and started back up it worked fine. We drove it to the local dealer and they diagnosed it as one of the solenoids (A?) that threw the fault. He said that they usually
replace the wiring harness in the tranny at this age of bus so I had them replace the
solenoid, harness, fluid and filter. So far, so good. Maybe the harness is getting brittle
on that one?
Old 03-06-2023, 05:12 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

wiring harness

Thanks for the response. We would be unable to get one around here but not saying it is good but they look so clean and tight I'm thinking more to the brain side of things going screwy. Just don't know personally. My bus is all mechanical to not have these stuck in the middle of BF problems. Just trying to help a client with limited English.
Old 03-06-2023, 06:49 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
Sounds a bit similar to my issues. I would agree with his feeling of not wanting to drive it. After having a hard time getting a mechanic out to read the codes, I made the choice to try to test drive my bus when the Check trans light was blinking and wound up with broken parts in my trans. I had oil in the plug going to the internal trans harness. It wasn’t until after my failed test drive that I dropped the pan and replaced the internal wire harness. Once I did that, I started the bus and the check trans/shift inhibit went away. Not 100% sure that was the end of it as I never drove it and ended up dropping the trans to figure out what I broke. I’m currently in the process of rebuilding it.

So not sure if it’s any help but ATF in that plug can cause some screwy issues so it might be worth double checking that plug for that issue.

Here’s that thread: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/t...0-a-40801.html
Flipmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:22 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

atf leakage

Wow that was a real read. A lot of interesting stuff. Thanks for the input. I'll get him to drop the pan and we'll check some voltages and the resistors as well. Again thanks
Old 03-06-2023, 10:01 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderskier View Post
Hi all a bit long winded post but I have a client at my rv park in a 2005 bluebird C7 allison s2000 tranny. He had some previous issues and replaced the tranny sensors. Drove to my place backed up then couldn't get it to go in gear again. Diesel mechanic checked out everything cleared the codes and went for 45 minute test drive. Next morning tranny light on and no shifting. I took out some tranny relays one was intermittent replaced it and all is good. Then next start up same problem. Checked the relays again and all is good again. He's now afraid to test drive it. Mechanic said and I can confirm all connections are clean and tight wiring looks good. Mechanic did say that one of the new sensors was just over 1000 ohms and the old was just over 2000 ohms. Not sure what it should read but does anyone have some helpful strategy? We are in Southern Mexico and everything is a little bit more difficult. Thanks in advance.
You can find Allison troubleshooting manuals over at the Taurus fleet services website.
Troubleshooting

Hopefully there will some info there that can help you.

I would download them all onto a flash drive for future reference.

Good luck !
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 03:39 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

downloads

Thanks for the site. Have never heard of it before.
I have gone deeper into everything. Being its not mine I am somewhat learning about Bluebirds at the same time. I've found 2 relays that were working only intermittently and have proven power at the harness for bat + and voltage at the 2 ignition wires for the TCM. Was talking to Bluebird mechanic in Quebec very helpful and it seems I've got it working in limp. 3rd gear. So getting a local tranny mechanic to come and clear codes and hopefully it's fixed.