Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2020, 10:08 PM   #1

Battery box

Hi I’m new here, I have a school bus with cat 3126 engine. Well I was just wondering at this time if anyone knows if it’s possible to put my starting batteries somewhere else than in the box from the factory. Reason I ask is cause I have had recently my batteries stolen from the box, and it was even locked, with the factory door latch. But I guess if they want in bad enough they’ll just force their way in.

Icedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Batteries can be moved but if you'll be needing longer battery cables you'll probably have to install larger (smaller numerically) positive and negative cables to adjust for the voltage drop from the longer cables. Lead-acid batteries can be brought inside the cabin but will need an enclosure that's sealed so the sulfuric acid fumes and hydrogen gasses can't get into the cabin and you'll need to vent the enclosure to the outside.

Wire diameter goes up as the gauge number goes down. For example, a 4 gauge cable is larger in diameter than a 6 gauge cable.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
Batteries can be moved but if you'll be needing longer battery cables you'll probably have to install larger (smaller numerically) positive and negative cables to adjust for the voltage drop from the longer cables. Lead-acid batteries can be brought inside the cabin but will need an enclosure that's sealed so the sulfuric acid fumes and hydrogen gasses can't get into the cabin and you'll need to vent the enclosure to the outside.

Wire diameter goes up as the gauge number goes down. For example, a 4 gauge cable is larger in diameter than a 6 gauge cable.
Ah yes. Ok thanks eww that sounds yukky I’d rather keep them outside... maybe I need a new place to park.
Icedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:53 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
battery and thieves

In my uhaul truck I made the battery tie down or hold down bars if you will, secured with a second cover. the batteries are tied down with bolts and on top of those is a pad lock bar over them, then on top of the batteries is a cover that is secured with locks. then there is the door .... so you have to go through three sets of lock downs to get the batteries..... I did this after loosing two sets of batteries in that truck... You cant keep them from stealing them,,, you can make it so cumbersome it is difficult to do,

or take the batteries with you.........

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote