Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2021, 01:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Engine: CAT 3126E
C7, what to pay attention to while driving?

Close to buying a bus with a C7. If I do what are the things I should be keeping my on during the initial trip? And what are the things that you think need to be taken care of before making a journey?
Purchasing in KY, driving to OK.
I know heat is a big factor. So just really make sure the temp gauge doesn't spike? Should I make scheduled intervals between 50-100 miles and just stop and check all my fluid levels? What are some of y'alls standard check ups you do during a trip. Especially with a bus that might need some work in the long run?

TheBryceIsRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:33 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
I would try to get an oil and fuel filter change before embarking. Check the air filter but don't replace it unless you need to. These engines like fresh oil in general, and getting an oil change will also tell you if you might already have some issues with the HEUI pump.

Transmission-wise, check the fluid, make sure it's topped up and not burnt, and don't worry about it too much.

MAKE SURE THE AIR SYSTEM HOLDS PRESSURE PROPERLY. There are numerous youtube videos about testing air brakes; watch them, take notes, and test your system. Brakes are the most important safety system.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:35 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my typical methods have been to check everything at the barn, take off and drive the bus back to a hotel (I never just take off on a long trip same day i pick it up).. then i give it a good once over.. listen, smell, check for leaks.. look at the belts..all lights work, tire pressures, brakes, air pressure , belt tensioner, crawl under it, etc.. drive it around that afternoon / evening in the town.. if I have flown out to pick it up ill go buy some tools and some spare fluids and try to grab a set of belts.

in the case of my Superior a couple tires were really bad so I got those changed.. the oil was jet black (in a gasser) so I changed that.

so that first day I was pretty familiar with how they ran, did any fluids leak and how much, etc.. along the trip my first few stops were pretty quick.. 25 miles, then 75-100 or so.. once I realized the temp was going to run normal, oil P was in the normal range. . no wheel hubs were getting hot, no smelly hot brakes.. tires were staying up visually.. after that I stopped when my bladder said stop which is very often for me.. and im not the type to marathin all at once across the country so I only ran 500 or maybe 600 miles a day maxx (all of my busses have had at least 1000 miles maiden trips)...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote