Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2020, 06:59 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolesvilleMarina View Post
reading this makes me cringe when I realize how close I came to doing some of these things... like panicking when the torque converter was just shy of snugging up, and you told me relax and just scootch it and it was supposed to be this way.

especially during my swap when I thought the flywheels needed replacing too and I basically would've grenaded both motors
That's par for the course for the first time. If you've never done it, how would you know? Biggest thing when attempting something the first time is to ask others any question you have, and don't just assume you know what you're doing.

It makes me cringe knowing somebody somewhere installed a torque converter wrong, started and ran the bus long enough to see no fluid flow, and then didn't remove the trans pump and input shaft to inspect for any damage. I'd bet the farm that there was damage, but what do I know

Old 09-02-2020, 07:24 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
It makes me cringe knowing somebody somewhere installed a torque converter wrong, started and ran the bus long enough to see no fluid flow, and then didn't remove the trans pump and input shaft to inspect for any damage. I'd bet the farm that there was damage, but what do I know
10-4

I asked a LOT of questions and wasn't afraid to look stupid, and in some cases have to apologize for coming across an arse as I was figuring out things

slow and steady was indeed the key, and some humility
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:17 PM   #43

Do you have any pics of the flywheel setup you used for the 643? Trying to do this swap now and can’t seem to find the correct setup
Tmullins96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 02:56 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtotheAmbrose View Post
The parking brake arrived and looks great. There is a little bit of some blue paint so this probably came off an intl powered truck originally. It is much bigger than the AT545 brake, looks to be 3-4 inches in diameter and about 1 inch wider.

Where did you find the parking brake ?
Trav5122002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 03:21 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Century
Chassis: C5500, Bus not a School Bus
Engine: 3116 9YN, CAT, 250HP
Rated Cap: 30k
Sorry for the really late replies.

@Galil you sent me a PM. I tried to reply but it says your inbox is full and cannot accept any more messages until you clear it out.

For the flywheel in the swap I used the one which came with the transmission. When i ordered mine from a wrecking yard i made sure to ask for everything after the engine.

I believe they (all MT643 transmissions) are the same for most engine options. The transmission I installed in my 3116 powered toter had tan color overspray from the engine which jives with a cummins color from what I have been told.

For the parking brake i kept browsing the parts trader online resources looking for a MT643 which had a picture showing the transmission. I found one out of AZ which showed the parking brake assy on it. I called them up and persuaded them to take it off the transmission and ship it to me.

I found a picture of the transmission and convertor with the flywheel. I will try to figure out how to post it.
DtotheAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 03:37 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Century
Chassis: C5500, Bus not a School Bus
Engine: 3116 9YN, CAT, 250HP
Rated Cap: 30k
If this image isnt big enough PM me and I can send you a larger file. Just make sure your in box isnt full and I can reply back to your PM.

The big difference is the AT545 uses a ~1.5 inch spacer and a really thick/heavy flywheel. The MT643 uses a normal style flexplate..
DtotheAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat 3116, mt643, trans swap