Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Cat 3126

I did not write this, I found it on another forum.
Just thought it might be of some use to someone here.

-------------------------------------------------------------
i have a 3126 in a 2000 f650,the info i have is a fax i got from cat, it shows all the 3126 engines from 170 to 330 hp, the diff.are injectors, turbo housings, fan pulleys, nothing said about pistons. warnings about rad. size and intercooler size if going up to 300 from 170/190...the 330 is a rv/emergency vehical option. i think you could talk your cat guy into giving you the 330hp!problem is that to upgrade to higher hp there is a 750 dollar charge for the computer work, if your unit is still under warrenty, if out of warrenty its an hour of shop time,$50 at my local cat house..plus the injectors, plus the turbo housings. the pulleys are a judgement call, they just speed up the water pump to push more water for better cooling..3000 dollars to update mine to 300hp..i'm gonna wait till its out of warrenty to do it!!save 700 bucks! mine pulls very well and its a 190hp .the problem with these trucks is the rear end ratio, the highest that ford offers is a 3.91.you can get a 3.73 from rockwell, which is what i did, i changed from a 4.11.it was a good change but was still too slow,75 mph @2500rpm..the thing would pull like mad till 2200 then it was sit back and wait, so i put a aux.3 speed with overdrive in it, now 75 @2000!you can idle along @1500 no problem. now i need to recalibrate the speedo..

The way I got around the 75 mph limit was I ordered an allison auto as a 5 speed. Seems they deliver a 6 speed w/ the 6th gear programmed out. When it arrived even before I put on the box, I took it to an allison service center and had them program it to a 6 speed. It cost me around $600 bucks to do the reprogram. Now I can't take credit for this clever approach, I had an excellent salesman who knew trucks!

Now I didn't want a truck that would run faster than 75 mph, but I did want to run it around 70mph w/o it being up against the governor. That was my reasoning for the increased limit. When I ordered mine they limited top speed by gearing and governed speed of the engine. I geared the truck to run at 82MPH, at 70 is is very comfortable

--------------------------------------------------------------

(OMG... Spellcheck, capitals, and punctuation drove me crazy but it is good info.)

Dixie Bushcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

3208 cat engine experience

Another writeup from elsewhere.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Early 3126s had problems with the blocks cracking up high in the front, causing the whole engine to be removed and either a new block put in with the old guts or a whole new crate engine. I have a newer 06 freightliner M2 with the C7 CAT which is the updated version of the 3126. I have 112k on it and i have only had to replace the fuel pressure regulator. Mine is set at 300hp which is the highest setting for this year and for an on road truck. They do go up to 350hp for RV's. My truck is rated to haul 57k and i have been overweight before and gone 75mph+ just fine. It just takes a little while. I recommend getting a 9 or 10spd manual and NOT the allison 6spd. I have that and its the downfall of the whole truck. Not enough gears, it can't work the powerband well enough. Overall, the 3126/C7 is a good engine. The throw away engine was the 3208 V8 CAT. Let me know if you have any more questions. I would be happy to answer them for ya!
Dixie Bushcraft is offline   Reply With Quote