Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Cat 3126 operating temps

What are the operating temps one should see with a CAT 3126? I didn't find much here but on the internet show 185-195. And what would be the upper limit to operate at and for how long? Just gathering information at this point.

kenfoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfoozed View Post
What are the operating temps one should see with a CAT 3126? I didn't find much here but on the internet show 185-195. And what would be the upper limit to operate at and for how long? Just gathering information at this point.
205F is the temp that the fan will go to maximum speed. The system is attempting to keep the coolant below this level.

At around 220F, many systems will shut-down the engine to prevent damage. It will de-rate before then.

Normal range is between 175F and 195F

At least that's what mine will do with a CAT engine. Cummins are broadly similar.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the navistar DT-466E and T-444E are set up factory so the fan is on at 210 and off at 200. (if you have electric fan clutch)... the computer is adjustable, but those are the factory numbers..

both the 466E and the 444E have factory 192 start to open thermostats, fully open by near 200
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

De-rate... I assume this means that it enter a sort of "limp mode"? If these engines de-rate and shut down, how is it possible to cause damage by overheating them?
Old 01-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
De-rate... I assume this means that it enter a sort of "limp mode"? If these engines de-rate and shut down, how is it possible to cause damage by overheating them?

engines can over-heat quicker than they can de-rate many times.. they often wont totally shut down, and believe me.. unfortunately there are people who keep running them till they do quit running..

de-rate means that they will slowly reduce the amount of fuel the engine receives, the hotter it gets.. this works when you have a somewhat functioning but overloaded cooling system, ie climbing a big hill and the fan clutch may not be fully engaged.. it slows you down and makes less heat, the cooling system can often catch up..

a catastrophic failure like a stuck thermostat, busted hose, or broken water pump belt will cause the temperature to rise way too quickly for a de-rate to do much good..

on most, the dashboard will alarm, normally the alarm is when it means shut-me-down-now! people will often keep driving "to the nearest exit" which in many cases is too late.. a couple miles can run you up 20 degrees or more over the alarm temp..

when I watch my gauges, a slow rise in temp will warrant me slowing down if it gets warm.. a quick rise in temp.. even if not in the red will make me take heed and look at other things.. when i had a recent idler pulley failure.. i saw my temp go from 192 to 207 in a matter of 1/2 mile.. noticed my voltage at 11.9 and knew id lost the belt or water pump.. so I put it in N and shut it down.. then turned the key back on, turned on my heater pump and all the fans.. which kept coolant circulating through the engine as i coasted down to see what was wrong..

ultimately keeping an eye on the stats while you drive is important.. you learn how your bus acts.. and when you see it do something abnormal. whether "out of range" or not.. you can take heed.

-Christopher
Old 01-20-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

cadillackid,- that makes sense. I am a careful watcher of my gauges, observant to smells and vibrations while I drive anything. Driving is more than just controlling the speed and steering. Its a skill that we seem to be loosing with all the safety features and automation on new rides these days...but thats another rant..

So thanks for the explanation. I am sure I will learn more and ask more once I get my own bus.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:39 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
cadillackid,- that makes sense. I am a careful watcher of my gauges, observant to smells and vibrations while I drive anything. Driving is more than just controlling the speed and steering. Its a skill that we seem to be loosing with all the safety features and automation on new rides these days...but thats another rant..

So thanks for the explanation. I am sure I will learn more and ask more once I get my own bus.
You hit the nail on the head .. look smell hear feel..
Christopher
Old 01-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
I would hope someone on here would be able to tell you how there 3126's operate at what temps etc. What I read above seems to be good recommendations or advice but would be nice right from the horse's mouth.
I have an older 3116 and swear buy it but maintain it as much as I know also. I do think inline 6 cyl CATS are far better than the V8's though for being better built adding to longer life expectancy.

John
Old 05-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
I just took a long trip home with my 3126. Temps varied as anticipated depending on load from 180-210. The engine fan came on at a fast clip somewhere in the 205-210 range and cooled things off quickly. This only happened on a couple super steep climbs, wth an ambient temp above 60F or so. As I got further north and turned the heaters on, I never saw the temp go much above above 185, even in the mountains.