Old 01-06-2020, 06:22 AM   #101
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Did it change after the oil change but not yet replaced the sensors and wiring harness for them?

I do not suppose a sample of oil was saved for testing?

I do not like to put additives of any sort in oil, and prefer to use good quality oil just as it is. Maybe the Lucas has changed the viscosity and perhaps has a "tactiness" to it. The tactiness additives are great for open gears, chains etc, but not what you want in an engine. I seem to recall the display in auto parts stores some time ago with the gears you can turn to see the Lucas oil being sticky on the gears as you turn them.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #102
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if the computer is issuing codes it is possible that the harness or a ground is bad..

I dint realize the CAT had dual sensors.. makes sense since those are a common failure point in the IHC and ford HEUI engines..

oil - lucas essentially thickens the oil.. HEUI engijnes are always loud when the oil is cold and thicker.. I ran Lucas stop leak in my red bus for a long time... till the leak stopped.. it didnt seem t obe a lot noisier than it is without.. but fresh oil and filter its definitely quieter.. I run 6000 mile interval for oil/filter change.. and change the filter at 3000.

drive one in 0f weather and it will clank rattle and growl LOUD till it gets warmed up and oil temp is up..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:12 AM   #103
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Did it change after the oil change but not yet replaced the sensors and wiring harness for them?

I do not suppose a sample of oil was saved for testing?

I do not like to put additives of any sort in oil, and prefer to use good quality oil just as it is. Maybe the Lucas has changed the viscosity and perhaps has a "tactiness" to it. The tactiness additives are great for open gears, chains etc, but not what you want in an engine. I seem to recall the display in auto parts stores some time ago with the gears you can turn to see the Lucas oil being sticky on the gears as you turn them.

NAPA has had those gears FOREVER... ever since I was a kid.. and my local industrial NAPA still has a set.. and all the guys play with them
Old 01-06-2020, 10:09 AM   #104
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Sounds like you didn't have the parts changed.

Do the codes get cleared like on an obd2 car or do they get a permanent date or hours tagged to the code so you track the history of the codes?

After more driving -- have the codes run again and see what/if codes return.

Based on how MY buses wiring is...
I wouldn't hesitate a second to replace the sensors and wiring harness assuming it's a diy job.

But (like Christopher said) clean all the grounds first. I'll add to check & inspect all the connections. I have not found a single wiring connection in my engine compartment in a condition that I am "happy with". Hopefully your wiring is less crudded up than mine --

Oil additives...
My .03c (adjusted for inflation). As an acft mechanic of 30 years I've never noticed any aviation advertising for "add this magic elixer to your engine" (or gear box) and increase hours before over-haul. Nope, not never...
I am pretty sure there is absolutely nothing you can add to a quality oil to make it better than the petroleum engineers that designed it.

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:23 AM   #105
Bus Geek

on my navistar engine, the only codes that are permanently stored are Potentially damaging events.. it stores the last 4 or 5 oil pressure and Coolant temperature events.. they get stored with a milage and hours stamp.

those are permanent unless the ECM goes defunct and is replaced.. not even a navistar dealer can delete those.. although the De-hashed software or a navistar engineer can..

the other codes show as active or inactive.. they arent date stamped unless they occur while the scan tool is connected..

if a dealer clears his codes and they return then its something to dig into deeper..

if they occured because perhaops someone was working on the bus and forgot or knocked a conector loose and they were never cleared then its not as much to worry about

I realize scan tools for these engines are expensive.. however im finding real fast that my scan tool obsession has paid off for me and the help ive given others using them... real fast..
-Christopher
Old 01-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #106
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Native- hopefully you can get over here for the swarm and take some folks for a ride.
The booming sounds like the rear of the bus is FULL of 15" subs with 1500w rms going to each one and firing at like 50-70 hz.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:21 PM   #107
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
If it only happens at a certain speed I would think it would be a chassis issue (axles, bearings, etc) instead of drivetrain.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:39 PM   #108
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I will try to answer all in one post.

The ONLY physical change made was the actual PM ... the oil change.

Holt CAT did the PM and they are supposed to run an analysis. I'll have to ask them for the results. The one they performed 7000 miles ago also came with an analysis which showed no problems.

I have the sensor harness and sensors on order due to arrive any time now. Based on all I can determine, it is a DIY ... perhaps a bit involved. The dual engine timing sensor will be the toughest as it is between the compressor and harmonic dampener. The CAT mechanic said they drain the coolant and remove the compressor to change that sensor. The diagram of the sensors on the CAT website indicate they are accessable without pulling the compressor. We shall see.

Yes, the engine is/was a bit louder when cold. I have not put enough miles on it since the oil was changed to see how it will react over a long duration run. I do still believe the thicker Lucas Oil Treatment had a significant impact on it.

@WIbluebird: It happens at a certain ENGINE speed, not vehicle speed. It happens in 3rd, 4th, and 5th (overdrive) between 1800RPM and 2150RPM. However, since it is also dependent on the load, it is more pronounced in overdrive.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:43 PM   #109
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Native- hopefully you can get over here for the swarm and take some folks for a ride.
The booming sounds like the rear of the bus is FULL of 15" subs with 1500w rms going to each one and firing at like 50-70 hz.
Now that is a GREAT analogy. However, the last few times I have driven it since the oil was changed causes me to say ... make it 500W RMS! Still loud if the load is there, but not as bad as when you heard it. Small victories.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote