Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2021, 01:15 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins ISBE
Coolant Hoses under bus

Hi, for all you folks that have run your coolant hoses on RE buses under the chassis, why did you use as protection against the elements and failure of the hose due to puncture or wearing as they run against the chassis.

Thinking of getting them shrouded in something as I run them under the bus and / or adding insulation to maintain the temperature as they run the length of the chassis.

Any advice appreciated.... 🇬🇧 Based AARE.

dougquaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:54 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I'm doing the same thing. I bought the tubing, but haven't fully figured out the rest.

My thought is a tray, like a metal gutter for the hose to lay in. But, it would need to be flexible enough to angle up from under the bus and then run over the cross members.

Maybe metal flashing. It would roll off the roll and pull nicely across the crossmembers. Easy to rivet through, and after laying the hoses on it, should be easy to wrap it around the hoses.

I'd rivet brackets to the flashing and secure the brackets to the cross members.

I figured that would provide support and protection from the elements. I'd probably lay rubber on the bottom of the flashing for insulation. Maybe even put a layer of something over the top, then use zip ties to hold it all in.

What were your ideas?
Old 05-02-2021, 07:44 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Hi guys.
I don't have a rear engine and am not running lines under the bus but what I do have is excavators and machines that have a lot of hydraulic lines that get chaffed.
There are special sleeve materials just for this purpose, any hydraulic shop or Amazon can help you out.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	57028
Good luck

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:55 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
That sleeve is a great idea, yet, because I want support for the hose as it crosses each crossmember, I think the flat flashing metal will provide that, as well as envelope the hoses from the environment.

But, I might use some of that sleeve for the hose outside of the flashing envelope, especially in the front where it is right under the front bumper area.

Thanks for the product info!