Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2021, 09:04 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Need help identifying some components on my 2006 Thomas Saf-T-Liner FE

Hi all! I'm relatively new to the skoolie world, just purchased a 2006 Thomas built front engine transit body bus with a Cat C7 and Allison MD3060 transmission. Currently I'm trying to identify components underneath the chassis so I know how to do some basic servicing but I'm having trouble figuring a few things out.
  1. How does one get to the belts on a front engine bus? I would think there has to be some way to get to them as part of the CDL pre trip is to inspect the belts.
  2. Where in the world is the engine air filter? All I can find are cabin air filters in the front.
  3. Is this the starter? If so, why does it seem to be weeping a little bit of oil? It's really the only thing that actually has a leak I can see on my driveway.
  4. Where is the air compressor governor? Is it the grey box connected to the back side of the Cat compressor shown here?
  5. How do I manually drain my air tanks? Do I need to pull or twist the "tab" on the bottom of the tank?
  6. Am I supposed to be able to check the power steering fluid using the smaller knob on the black-lidded tank shown here? I can't get that smaller cap off. The bigger one unscrews obviously.
I'm sure I'll have more questions, I think that's enough to start.
Attached Thumbnails
21-06-16 20-00-17 3544.jpg   21-06-16 20-00-29 3545.jpg   21-06-16 20-00-59 3546.jpg   21-06-16 20-10-30 3553.jpg   21-06-16 20-19-26 3561.jpg  

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:00 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
Hi all! I'm relatively new to the skoolie world, just purchased a 2006 Thomas built front engine transit body bus with a Cat C7 and Allison MD3060 transmission. Currently I'm trying to identify components underneath the chassis so I know how to do some basic servicing but I'm having trouble figuring a few things out.
  1. How does one get to the belts on a front engine bus? I would think there has to be some way to get to them as part of the CDL pre trip is to inspect the belts.
  2. Where in the world is the engine air filter? All I can find are cabin air filters in the front.
  3. Is this the starter? If so, why does it seem to be weeping a little bit of oil? It's really the only thing that actually has a leak I can see on my driveway.
  4. Where is the air compressor governor? Is it the grey box connected to the back side of the Cat compressor shown here?
  5. How do I manually drain my air tanks? Do I need to pull or twist the "tab" on the bottom of the tank?
  6. Am I supposed to be able to check the power steering fluid using the smaller knob on the black-lidded tank shown here? I can't get that smaller cap off. The bigger one unscrews obviously.
I'm sure I'll have more questions, I think that's enough to start.

In order:
1. "Very carefully". I am assuming this is a "flat front" bus, no hood. There may be an access door on the front to allow access to check the radiator. You may have to open to "doghouse" (engine cover).
2. I'm thinking the engine air filter may be under the doghouse, follow the intake hose to find it. It'll be a rather large round filter.
3. Yes, that's the starter. It may be weeping oil that's simply leaked from elsewhere and this was the lowest spot before dripping to the ground.
4. As for the compressor governor, I'm not sure, I'd need a better view. I have a Bendix compressor, mine looks different.
5. Yes, twist those "tabs" 90 degrees, they may be a bit tight. Drain all the tanks until no moisture comes out, the "wet" tank may have a little oil mixed in. You may have an air dryer in your system (somewhat common), these need occasional service (replace the "cartridge" about once a year on a regular driver). Typically these will "purge" each time the air pressure builds to 120 and the compressor cuts out, with a distinctive "PSHH!" hiss of air.
6. Yes, that looks like the power steering reservoir, the smaller cap should have the dipstick. Many are a rubber friction fit, it may not unscrew, just carefully pull up, try working it side to side a bit.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:59 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
In order:
1. "Very carefully". I am assuming this is a "flat front" bus, no hood. There may be an access door on the front to allow access to check the radiator. You may have to open to "doghouse" (engine cover).
2. I'm thinking the engine air filter may be under the doghouse, follow the intake hose to find it. It'll be a rather large round filter.
3. Yes, that's the starter. It may be weeping oil that's simply leaked from elsewhere and this was the lowest spot before dripping to the ground.
4. As for the compressor governor, I'm not sure, I'd need a better view. I have a Bendix compressor, mine looks different.
5. Yes, twist those "tabs" 90 degrees, they may be a bit tight. Drain all the tanks until no moisture comes out, the "wet" tank may have a little oil mixed in. You may have an air dryer in your system (somewhat common), these need occasional service (replace the "cartridge" about once a year on a regular driver). Typically these will "purge" each time the air pressure builds to 120 and the compressor cuts out, with a distinctive "PSHH!" hiss of air.
6. Yes, that looks like the power steering reservoir, the smaller cap should have the dipstick. Many are a rubber friction fit, it may not unscrew, just carefully pull up, try working it side to side a bit.

Thanks for your answers!

This is indeed a flat front bus. There is a "filter minder" visible from the front to indicate whether or not the filter needs to be replaced, so I'm guessing I do have to pull the whole doghouse off to see the filter. Haven't gotten around to that yet but I'll do it soon.

Here's a better view of the thing attached to the compressor. The label on it appears to be in German?

I also have an air dryer, almost positive its a Bendix AD9, which I plan to replace as it seems to be leaking - I hear a steady hiss coming from it after the engine is shut off.

And finally, I'll try the power steering dipstick a little more, it's on there REALLY tight, I didn't want to muscle it off and break something that wasn't meant to be removed.
Attached Thumbnails
21-06-16 20-00-59 3546.jpg  
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:07 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 2003
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP EF
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 29 (Perimeter Seating)
i can confirm that the power steering dipstick is available under that small round 'pry-off' handle. its not so bad once you do it the first time.
stlthe is offline   Reply With Quote