Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2020, 11:52 PM   #1
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
08 Blue Bird Vision - inop diesel - swap for gasser?

I post this under Cummins because I assume an ISB engine. Doesn't run, and as I have asthma, thought it might be better for me to swap for a gas V-8 or V-10. The Ford 6.8L is certified in later models of this bus, I have seen one in a salvage auction. The 5.4 and 4.6 Ford are based on the V10, and I doubt a 6.0 / 8.1 Vortec would be any more difficult.

I can get complete donor vehicles that run, either through CoPart or government vehicle auctions, there's always one somewhere that's been wrecked or something. There is a shop nearby that I believe can do the swap, unless someone in TX wouldn't mind doing it.

Seems to me if I have a complete donor with PCM and transmission, accessory drive, etc. it shouldn't be all that difficult for someone who can physically do it (I cannot). Thoughts?

CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:13 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the ford V10 was sold in those busses (and still is) so it seems like that would be the nost straighforward engine swap as you could potentially find them already rusted out in wrecking yards or such where the mounts, supporting-items etc could be harvested as a whole drivetrain unit.. its tough to find the engines in junkyards as they tend to get harvested quickly for use as replacements or cores for rebuilders.. but finding all the other pieces to make it work is a big start.. the under-hood area of a V10 based vision vs a 6.7 vision is like night and day.. the allison could likely be saved from the 6.7 bus and the TCM reprogrammed with a V10 gas calibration.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
IIRC the V10 did not show up until the 2nd gen Vision came out (2008 would still be a 1st gen I believe). 1st gen has a dashboard sourced from Volvo which I would imagine would be hard to pair with a Triton V10.

I'm not really a fan of Visions in general but that's just me. I've driven a lot of them for my company and they're all just really mediocre.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
It's either a cat c7 or cummins b6.7.

The 2nd gen visions came out in 2008, but didn't get propane engines until a year later with the 8.1 gm v8, though I never saw one. A year or so later they started using the ford/roush v10 either propane or cng fueled. The gas option what they really pushed due to the "cleanliness" and higher cost of the diesel engine. In reality, warranty costs were through the roof with diesel engines due to the emissions systems being new and unreliable.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:08 PM   #5
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Anyone in the TX area interested in swapping this thing for a gasser? I would provide a complete running, driving late-model 8.1, 5.4 or 6.8 donor. I've had no luck calling shops in the area so far. I wouldn't be so interested in doing this, but it's a high roofline second gen and the engine status is unknown, only listed as does not run, and a gasser swap would be better for me health-wise.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote