Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #1

12v upgrade

OK, so I originally purchased a 77 passenger 1999 Blue Bird with a 24v 5.9 Cummins with a AT 545 tranny for a good price and just turned around and sold it (wasn't sure if I wanted to do this conversion). Changed my mind and want to take the plunge so I purchased another 77 passenger 1996 Blue Bird but this one with a 12v 5.9 Cummins with a AT 545 tranny. One of the reasons I bought the 1996 is because I know it is pretty cost effective to upgrade the engine (modified fuel plate, governor springs) so it pulls better and I already got a KDP kit to take care of that, too. I also acquired a MT 643 tranny to go behind it (got it for $400). Haven't started work yet but will try and keep ya'll up-to-date. If you have any tips I am open for that, also!

arkieollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Let us know how the tranny swap goes.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #3

Got the transmission swap done. Not too bad. My brother-in-law (who works at a place that has a machine shop) made the adapter plate needed to do the swap (I found the plans online) and I had to bring it to someone because I don't have the facilities at my house to do the swap. I upgraded the 5.9L Cummins (removed fuel plate and installed the 3K governor spring kit). The upgrades along with the transmission swap made a noticeable "seat of the pants" difference! The bus "pulls" really well and it cruises at 70 mph with no problem. I did the KDP swap (it was halfway out) and replaced the water pump while I was in there. Next up.....fan clutch replacement. Before I brought the bus to the shop for the transmission swap I noticed that the engine fan wasn't turning. After some testing/research I determined it took a dump. Hard part to find. I had to submit the VIN of the bus and finally found the part number and then finally found one that had been sitting on a shelf for a looooong time (my bus is a 1996 blue bird after all). I just wish I had discovered this BEFORE I replaced the KDP because I was already in there! Well, now I know how much of a pain it is going to be to tear apart the front end to get to the fan clutch.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkieollie View Post
Got the transmission swap done. Not too bad. My brother-in-law (who works at a place that has a machine shop) made the adapter plate needed to do the swap (I found the plans online) and I had to bring it to someone because I don't have the facilities at my house to do the swap. I upgraded the 5.9L Cummins (removed fuel plate and installed the 3K governor spring kit). The upgrades along with the transmission swap made a noticeable "seat of the pants" difference! The bus "pulls" really well and it cruises at 70 mph with no problem. I did the KDP swap (it was halfway out) and replaced the water pump while I was in there. Next up.....fan clutch replacement. Before I brought the bus to the shop for the transmission swap I noticed that the engine fan wasn't turning. After some testing/research I determined it took a dump. Hard part to find. I had to submit the VIN of the bus and finally found the part number and then finally found one that had been sitting on a shelf for a looooong time (my bus is a 1996 blue bird after all). I just wish I had discovered this BEFORE I replaced the KDP because I was already in there! Well, now I know how much of a pain it is going to be to tear apart the front end to get to the fan clutch.
yo, that adapter, he make more?
i have a 97 5.9 12v with the 545 and i want to get rid of the 545
Mschilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #5

I could talk to him if you like.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:42 PM   #6

Got seats, floors, interior and roof stripped down. Windows removed. Working on rub rails for roof raise.
Attached Thumbnails
FA8C5AE6-C011-4432-877F-606911906B6B.jpg   E8646D5A-45E0-4C45-BAB9-C424FBF0EBBA.jpg   F721E932-C7E8-4D91-9862-C9A6C1938890.jpg  
Old 07-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #7

Rub rails off. Cut front and back for roof raise. Working on “tool” for roof raise (my MIG is outta gas and my gauges got knocked around and tore up so I sent them off to be rebuilt)....so, in the meantime I relocated brake fluid reservoir from behind drivers seat. Working on best way to attach a “new” seat (out of a 2011 Chevy Aveo).