Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   School Bus Conversion Resources > Skoolie Tech > Mechanical and Drivetrains > Cummins Drivetrain
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Thomas Built
Engine: 5.9L Cummins 12V
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
1993 Ford B700 Thomas built 5.9 Cummins Allison Tranny won't start, troubleshooting.

Situation:

1) Bus won't start. The Solenoid is clicking, but the starter is not turning over. This is occurring when I am jumping the bus with my 4runner. All vandal locks are in correct positions and all doors shut. Block heater has been in for 2 days.

2) Is it even possible for the batteries to read 1.9V and 1.8V on my voltage meter. Meter is set to DCV and dialed to 20V. I put positive probe on positive terminal and negative probe on negative terminal. THEN, when I put cable on battery, the same process yields a ~14V reading. Am I ignorant or are my batteries just super dead?

Troubleshooting/Information:

1) I have let my 4runner run for 40 minutes on the batteries. I come back to bus and solenoid is still clicking. I can even see the little arm on the solenoid moving.
2) I pressed on the pedal while trying to start...nothing
3) The temperature has been at a minimum of 30F throughout this troubleshooting phase.

Further Ideas?

1) My friend said to try hitting the starter with a hammer a couple times and trying to turn the bus on then.
2) Any other ideas please!!

MiLochiNya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.9l cummins, b700, starter, starting, troubleshooting