Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2021, 04:42 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
1999 2nd gen 5.9 cam sensor install

I need some help here please...

I bought my 4th bus with a 2nd gen 5.9 /vp44 pump.

From what I can gather, some second gen engines have both a crank and a cam sensor.

I replaced the crank sensor, it is located right above the base of the dip stick.

From what I can understand, the cam sensor is tucked in-between the vp44 pump and the block.
In the videos I watched, it does not seem like a difficult job to replace but the obstacles I got...are driving me insane.

This is an 99 Thomas RE bus.
Under the vp44 pump I got what looks like the air compressor???

There is no way I can figure out how to get by hand in the tight space in order to remove the sensor wiring. I can't even get close to the sensor with my big fat hands!

Has anyone gone thru this, if so, how did you get at it.

I am really trying to avoid removing the air compressor pump!

anyone got any ideas?

ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:18 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Ok...so everyone got stumped on this one?

I tried using a flashlight and a mirror to see if I could get a better view...not happening.

So off I go, gonna get some oven cleaner to degrease the engine and it looks like I'll be removing the air (brake) air compressor to see if I can get some more space for my big hands!
Old 08-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Below the injection pump would be the air compressor and power steering pump.

The cam sensor would be in the timing cover, towards the block, between the compressor and injection pump. You can get at it from the back, no need to remove either pump to replace the sensor, although some might find it easier to do so.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Below the injection pump would be the air compressor and power steering pump.

The cam sensor would be in the timing cover, towards the block, between the compressor and injection pump. You can get at it from the back, no need to remove either pump to replace the sensor, although some might find it easier to do so.
I watched some you tube videos on how to do it on a Dodge ram, looked quite easy, yes indeed.
But in order to do it on this bus I either need to become a contortionist or just start disassembling which I am doing everything I can think of so as avoid tearing things apart!

My toughest challenge is the electrical box just to the right of the engine, it is in the way!!!

I was hoping someone already did this on their bus and maybe could share how they got it done.

Like I said, the tough part is needing to bend my arm in ways which it refuses to bend!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5193_A.jpg  
Old 08-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

SECOND QUESTION

Can anybody tell me, what does it take to remove the air compressor.
I know there is the bracket underneath, easy enough.

I see what looks like a collar on the compressor. That collar appears to be held on by two bolts, top and bottom (12-6 o'clock positions).
Is it as easy as removing those two bolts or is it held together with a nut on the gear inside the cam gear housing?

My thinking that if it is just those two bolts then maybe I can partially remove the compressor, just enough to get my hands in and remove the sensor.

Or will it require a full removal of the compressor?
Old 08-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
SECOND QUESTION

Can anybody tell me, what does it take to remove the air compressor.
I know there is the bracket underneath, easy enough.

I see what looks like a collar on the compressor. That collar appears to be held on by two bolts, top and bottom (12-6 o'clock positions).
Is it as easy as removing those two bolts or is it held together with a nut on the gear inside the cam gear housing?

My thinking that if it is just those two bolts then maybe I can partially remove the compressor, just enough to get my hands in and remove the sensor.

Or will it require a full removal of the compressor?
Haven't looked on mine which is the exact bus you have, but on a BB I had, there was one bolt under the front of the compressor that could only be reached by pulling the front and radiator out of the way, royally pissed me off.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:57 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Well After lots of searching on the web I think I found my answer, now to go give it a try.

I was curious to know if I could just loosen up the compressor and slide it over...according to this service manual info, it looks that I can do just that.
Once it stops raining, back outside I go!

Here part of the manual...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf air compressor removal and install procedures.pdf (1.00 MB, 9 views)
Old 01-01-2022, 12:11 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Was this easy to take off? I'm planning on new gaskets and seals everywhere on my motor and wanted to pull the compressor.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:11 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post
Was this easy to take off? I'm planning on new gaskets and seals everywhere on my motor and wanted to pull the compressor.
Missed your question… removing the air compressor wasn’t difficult. A bit uncomfortable since I am getting older and can’t twist my body like a young buck. The bus is a Thomas MVP RE and the most uncomfortable part was the rear electrical box is really in the way but I was able to do it.

If your gonna do yours you might consider replacing the crank sensor too, since your already there and to do it again later….
Old 06-18-2022, 10:18 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Mine is a flat nose front engine. I have two a/c compressor under the air compressor as well. Everytime I look under there, I cringe. Im debating doing a whole top end job when I disassemble everything and rebuild compressor, power steering pump. As any single component appears to require a whole lot of disassembly.

For now, I'm going to put a fass fuel pump on and clear out some space around the VP44 and ecm.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:22 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Doing it from underneath would be the way to go. There was on small 2 inch long rubber hose between the air pump and piping that got me frustrated but other than that, remove two bolts and then slide it forward. I didn’t totally remove it as an only needed space to get to the crank sensor.

Oh yeah, removing the sensor with with my big hands, it was a frustrating mission !

From what I remember, there was a spacer plate between the pump and block. Not sure if yours is the same but if so, remove the bolts to the block, not the bolts from the spacer to the pump.