Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2020, 07:40 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: N/A
Chassis: N/A
Engine: N/A
2001 Thomas Built 5.9 Cummins 24V

Hey everybody,

We're looking to buy our first bus for a conversion to live in full time. We have our eyes on a 2001 Thomas Built (Freightliner) 8 window bus.

We haven't seen it in person yet ( 6 hour drive for us), but it looks really nice in the photos. It's got a 5.9 Cummins 24V with an Allison 2000 transmission, which we're understanding is a pretty good combo.

It was all pointing towards the one to go for until I spoke with the seller and he informed me that the check engine and check transmission lights on the dash are both on... bummer. He did send me a picture of the indications while the engine is running. Click image for larger version

Name:	93302053_2892113724207757_8189617964698304512_n.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	43751

I'm reaching out to you all here with way more knowledge than me to see if you think we should just keep looking or is there an easy way to find out what may be wrong? The seller does not have a diagnostic tool. Is it possible that it just needs an oil change or something relatively simple like that?

We appreciate any advice anyone can give!!

Ourversionoflife3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
The 5.9 / 2000 is indeed a capable package, but with warning lights on... Hrmmm...

Only way to find out for sure is to scan any codes. Well worth paying a competent diesel mechanic to pay a little visit with a code scanner to determine if it's a minor problem or a big one. A diesel mechanic's time is far cheaper for diagnosis before purchase than to diagnose AND repair AFTER purchase. Transmissions aren't cheap, and neither are tow bills. Hopefully it's something stupid and possibly an easy fix, but none of it is cheap, just cheap in comparison to other repairs. Independent analysis of fluid samples is a good idea as well. You can spot trouble with major mechanicals before you buy, and also prevent small problems from turning into big ones. Just my $0.02
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:30 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourversionoflife3 View Post
Hey everybody,

We're looking to buy our first bus for a conversion to live in full time. We have our eyes on a 2001 Thomas Built (Freightliner) 8 window bus.

We haven't seen it in person yet ( 6 hour drive for us), but it looks really nice in the photos. It's got a 5.9 Cummins 24V with an Allison 2000 transmission, which we're understanding is a pretty good combo.

It was all pointing towards the one to go for until I spoke with the seller and he informed me that the check engine and check transmission lights on the dash are both on... bummer. He did send me a picture of the indications while the engine is running. Attachment 43751

I'm reaching out to you all here with way more knowledge than me to see if you think we should just keep looking or is there an easy way to find out what may be wrong? The seller does not have a diagnostic tool. Is it possible that it just needs an oil change or something relatively simple like that?

We appreciate any advice anyone can give!!
Definitely not an oil change. could be something serious, could just be some bad connections. the seller not having any info is pretty telling. Sounds like a hot potato to me and i wouldn't want to be left holding it. Get one with a clean bill of health from a school, not a "seller". May take more patience and you can still look all over for buses. Just don't rush into anything. Ask lots of questions here and to the seller.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote