Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2021, 08:26 PM   #1

2009 Bluebird pusher with Cummins

I have a rather basic question. I “inherited” a 2009 Bluebird Cummins pusher and I need to figure out the systems. I think I have the basics figured out.

The belt drives the alternator, water pump, crankshaft, and a tensioiner.

The fuel pump and the air compressor for the brakes are both gear driven. The fuel pump is at the top right all in the way in the back; and the compressor is right below it.

The power steering pump is at the front, pretty much under the driver’s feet. It looks to be hydraulic driven, as does the radiator fan.

Two questions:

1. Where is the hydraulic pump?
2. Is the power steering fluid shared with the transmission? I can’t find any separate reservoir for it.

Any other information about the mechanicals on these would be greatly appreciated.

I am also getting a “Engine Warn” light, and occasionally the transmission will refuse to shift with a “XXXX Inhibited” (I forget the XXXX). Any suggestions on where to look?

Cptdondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:31 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
What hydraulic pump?

The transmission does not have a "reservoir". All of its fluid is self contained.

You can look up the engine warning code online. You need to tell us the code number if you want us to help more.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
What hydraulic pump?

The transmission does not have a "reservoir". All of its fluid is self contained.

You can look up the engine warning code online. You need to tell us the code number if you want us to help more.
The cooling fan is run by what looks to be a hydraulic motor. So I’m assuming there’s a hydraulic pump somewhere? Unless it’s run by compressed air?

How do I get the vehicle to tell me the warning code?

All I get is an idiot light, a buzzer, a wrench symbol on the Allison transmission keypad, and a “Range inhibited” idiot light when I try to shift out of N.

There doesn’t seem to be a flashing code or display anywhere that I can see.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:31 AM   #4

Quote:
I was looking for the power steering pump/reservoir. I could not find any reservoir, but there are lines running back to the engine/transmission. Since some power steering systems use transmission fluid, I am guessing that perhaps the power steering pump uses the same fluid as the transmission?
Old 05-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

There may be a toggle switch near the computer hookup port under the dash that will "flash" the codes when "on". Likely you turn it on, and the "check Engine" light will flash. Count the flashes. They will be grouped together. Count each group. Each group is a digit. Put the digits together to create the code. At least that's how it works on a lot of older vehicles.

Or get a Scangauge-D or BlueFire to connect to your computer hookup port, and that can read the codes.

As far as the reservoir goes, someone else can tell you where to look. But the PS and tranny do not share fluid. But yes, likely the PS uses tranny type hydraulic fluid.

My guess is that the fan is powered by the PS pump, or maybe the motor oil pump, but not its own. Good question that I should know....
Old 05-12-2021, 07:19 PM   #6

Quote:

My guess is that the fan is powered by the PS pump, or maybe the motor oil pump, but not its own. Good question that I should know....
Well as it turns out there's a honking big hydraulic pump attached to the back of the air compressor. (Flagged down a diesel mechanic who was checking out another bus).

It runs the radiator fan, the power steering, and maybe a couple of other things. At least now I understand enough to get a CDL B license. ��

Come to think of it, it could be the motor oil pump.....

(Mostly I want the license so I know what the heck I'm doing driving a 30,000# vehicle.)
Old 05-12-2021, 09:01 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptdondo View Post
Well as it turns out there's a honking big hydraulic pump attached to the back of the air compressor. (Flagged down a diesel mechanic who was checking out another bus).

It runs the radiator fan, the power steering, and maybe a couple of other things. At least now I understand enough to get a CDL B license. ��

Come to think of it, it could be the motor oil pump.....

(Mostly I want the license so I know what the heck I'm doing driving a 30,000# vehicle.)
That is your PS pump. And likely the fan. Some vehicles (not necessarily buses) may also use it to add the "power" to hydraulic power brakes (but then it would not be on the back of the air compressor ). You can follow the hoses to find out!