Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
5.9 and AT545, first trip in almost two years!

Hello all!

In a few weeks I am planning on taking my 2003 Blue Bird All American on it's first trip! It'll be a short drive, hour and a half, to my parents place for the weekend. Figured that's a good short trip for it. While it's been in the conversion phase, it's been sitting for close to 2 years (Dec 201. I want to make sure I'm all good and prepared for a little trip and that nothing is going to happen along the way. I've got a 5.9 24v campaign 0504 and a AT545 transmission in there. Here's my list of things I know I need to do beforehand:

• Oil and filter change
    • What oil and filter should I use for this?
  • Fuel filter change
  • Fuel water separator filter change
    • I read that it should be located in the inner left frame rail, behind the battery box, but I didn't see it down there. Still need to locate it.
    • What sort of filter should I use here?
  • Fresh diesel
    • I'm currently sitting at a 1/2 tank, and that's since Dec 2018. I was told I might have algae there. Was planning on topping off with fresh diesel before the trip.
  • Tire change
    • All 6 tires are pretty low on tread, and the back 4 have already been retreaded once already. Just going to start fresh here. Big expense, but I'm more comfortable getting these new ones on.
  • Top off coolant
    • I lost about two gallons or so when I removed the heaters from inside the bus. What kind should I top off with?
That's all I've got so far. I'm having a semi truck mechanic come out to the bus to do the tires, and while they're out I'm going to have them give the bus a once over to make sure nothing too serious is wrong with it.

Is there anything else I should add to my list, or make sure the mechanic checks out while they're out? I plan on making short trips around where I store the bus beforehand JUST to make sure nothing major goes wrong while close to home. Appreciate the help!

Old 09-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 60
Your oil, filters etc should all be specified on the engine. I am sure its 15-40, and there really isn't a ton of difference between oil filters in my experience. Pick a brand of oil and filter and stick with it.

Antifreeze there are basically two types. Inorganic, which is the green stuff, and organic (dextron) which is red (dextron) or yellow. You should use the same type as whats in there or drain and change them over. The red/yellow organic stuff is extended life and is good for 50k miles.

There are other minor changes. If i'm not incorrect organic acid antifreeze can be used in anything specified for the inorganic green stuff with no ill effects, thus it is sometimes called universal. The inorganic green stuff can cause problems in engines specified for the organic.

I personally use the universal supertech brand from wally world.......its made in the same place as the bulk 55 gallon barrels we get for our john deere equipment. Its yellow organic and good stuff.
tlzimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 60
You need to grease it, check the front wheel hubs and make sure they are full of 90 weight, check the rear end and make sure it is full of 90 weight. There are wheel seals at the inside of both the front hubs and the rear axles. Sometimes these dry out when they sit so watching them when you get underway is a good idea. You can tell if they start slinging 90 weight.

Grease zirks on the steering arms, ball joints, kingpins, and the ujoints on the driveline and on the front and rear brakes. If you don't own a grease gun get one. Use good lithium grease.

Fuel filters again need to be the right one, get the numbers off the current filters and any auto parts store can cross reference them.

Check your hoses and belts to be sure they aren't cracked or overly wore.

Personally when I am running any truck/bus I keep extra antifreeze, oil, 90 wt, and at least a few tools with me.
tlzimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote