Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-13-2020, 09:34 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 27
8.3L cummins

Did they make a front engine, flat nose, 8.3L cummins bus? Or only a 6.7 and 5.9?

I want to chop a few feet off the back end behind the axle and make a 31 ft bus
DrTwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,304
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Bluebird made All American FE's With the 8.3 Cummins.

I am not a huge fan of FE's and the 8.3 would be even more difficult to work on than the smaller engines.

I love my 8.3. I set out specifically looking for an 8.3. But... In an RE. Engine access is stellar and that big, noisy, hot beast is 30+ feet behind me when we are driving.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 27
Yeah but If I chop the back 8 ft off a rear engine bus the bus wont move
DrTwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:29 AM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,304
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTwitch View Post
Yeah but If I chop the back 8 ft off a rear engine bus the bus wont move
Cutting 8' out of the middle would solve that. There pics of a shortened RE on here somewhere. Maybe someone will remember where and post a link.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:56 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 27
Frame work and rewelding and drive shafts balancing etc is beyond my ability.

I have 60% confidence in my ability to cut the metal straight enough to reweld the end clip back on. Cutting off excess frame sticking out the back I can do. Removing is doable. Reattaching structural underframe is the nonstarter to this project

So while I feel chopping down behind the axle is doable, anything forward of the axle is not

Has anyone made a 30ft monster out of the better engines? Currently the only midsized flatnoses I find available are cat engines or 545 transmissions

I want the robustness of the Cummins and an Allison 2000 or better on a shorter 30' bus I can maneuver easier than a 40'
DrTwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central Alabama
Posts: 39
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTwitch View Post
Did they make a front engine, flat nose, 8.3L cummins bus? Or only a 6.7 and 5.9?

I want to chop a few feet off the back end behind the axle and make a 31 ft bus
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...67&acctid=1097

Probably would have to relocate the fuel tank.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:38 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,304
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTwitch View Post
Frame work and rewelding and drive shafts balancing etc is beyond my ability.

I have 60% confidence in my ability to cut the metal straight enough to reweld the end clip back on. Cutting off excess frame sticking out the back I can do. Removing is doable. Reattaching structural underframe is the nonstarter to this project

So while I feel chopping down behind the axle is doable, anything forward of the axle is not

Has anyone made a 30ft monster out of the better engines? Currently the only midsized flatnoses I find available are cat engines or 545 transmissions

I want the robustness of the Cummins and an Allison 2000 or better on a shorter 30' bus I can maneuver easier than a 40'
No driveshaft work needed on the RE. To significantly shorten an FE or CE may require shortening driveshafts.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 443
Coachwork: In the market
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
No driveshaft work needed on the RE. To significantly shorten an FE or CE may require shortening driveshafts.
I think OP wants to shorten a FE behind the drive axle but it was suggested a midship cut in an RE. Admittedly I'm less of a fan of a midship slice and splice - it seems less complicated but more risky cutting the middle of the truck frame. There's also no driveshaft but still plenty of other stuff like fuel and air lines, electrical, and transmission controls to contend with in a midship cut.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×