Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2020, 04:49 PM   #1

90 Cummins intercooler question

I recently bought a Cummins 5.9 engine out of ‘90 bus for backup/parts for my same year dodge pickup. I’m debating on using the air to water intercooler off the bus motor to intercool my truck. Just wondering if there are any tips for doing it, any risks, whether it’s worth it or not, basically any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.

Codyb1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:50 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have never fooled with an air to water intercooler.

I have to wonder what the temperature of the air coming out of the turbo that you can cool it with 180F coolant?

That said, the cooler the air the more dense it is and the more power you can make.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

I have to wonder what the temperature of the air coming out of the turbo that you can cool it with 180F coolant?

That said, the cooler the air the more dense it is and the more power you can make.
I haven’t either, and have only seen this particular kind on this bus and tractors. Main reasons for wanting to do it this way is that it looked a lot easier than cutting holes and fabbing the front of my truck to accept an air to air intercooler. But after talking to a local mechanic last night he said something along the lines of what you did about the temperature of the coolant. I guess I’ll put on my big boy pants and just do it the right way and possibly do some water meth with it as well. Thank you for responding!
Codyb1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Try looking at Av-Tekk on line, I have one of their catalogues and they have plenty of options for air to air inter-coolers. I had to buy one of their inter-coolers for my conversion so I got the largest that would fit my bus since it's hot rod now.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

They actually work pretty well.

Most systems I've seen were self contained and have their own pump/radiator.

The few that did draw from the engine radiator worked good, as long as your coolant temp isn't ran ragged. Typically, the water at the bottom of the radiator is substantially cooler then that at the thermostat outlet.

And with water having way more heat carrying capacity then air, they work better then most air to air intercoolers, and have a smaller footprint.

Running without an intercooler, you can see inlet air temps close to 300-400 degrees F depending on how much boost psi you're running.

If you plan on making any power at all turbocharged, an intercooler is almost a must. Having your air filter draw from outside air is also a big help.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:41 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyb1992 View Post
I recently bought a Cummins 5.9 engine out of ‘90 bus for backup/parts for my same year dodge pickup. I’m debating on using the air to water intercooler off the bus motor to intercool my truck. Just wondering if there are any tips for doing it, any risks, whether it’s worth it or not, basically any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.
Do you have any pictures of this system? I'd like to see them for curiosity's sake.