Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2020, 06:34 PM   #1

Year: 1995
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: Cumins 5.9
95 Ford B800 - Where is the fuel system solenoid relay?

I have a 1995 Carpenter School Bus on a B800 chassis with a 12 V Cummins 5.9 Diesel. The engine will not start unless I use a zip-tie to hold open the fuel shutoff solenoid. I have determined that no electricity is getting to the solenoid when the ignition is on. If I jump the pull pin, the solenoid kicks in. If I push the solenoid by hand and energize the other pin, the solenoid stays up.

I'm trying to locate the relay that feeds the solenoid. I found what I thought was the relay, but I'm not sure if it's the same one. When I jump this relay, the buzzer and bell that normally sound when I turn on the ignition start sounding, but the fuel solenoid does not engage. I'm also not seeing any continuity between this connector and the one on the solenoid - so I'm not sure if this is the same as the fuel shut off relay or a different one..but I can't find any other relay anywhere - so I'm confused.

1) Is this the fuel system shut off relay or a different one?
2) If this is the correct relay - why is my test not working - am I missing something obvious?
3) If this is not the same relay, does anyone know where I could locate it? I've looked on the firewall, under the bus and under the instrument panel.

Thanks -
- Jon

mudspringer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpenter, ford bus, fuel system, relay, solenoid