Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Anyone reasonably mechanically inclined can replace an air valve. There's nothing complicated about one. Air bags are a little more of a challenge on some buses (as it often needs to be jacked up a bit), but still within the realm of a DIY fix.

A brake job borders on mechanic territory, depending how mechanically inclined one is, and it takes some heavy duty tools to remove the tires, lift & support the axles (Do *NOT* rely on a jack alone! Use stands!) and at some point there's a difference between owning $2000 in tools and just paying a shop to do it.

Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:36 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by budbud7 View Post
Sunday I was able to get under the bus and I did find a valve and some linkage. It appears that 1/4" rod with 1/4" rubber tubing makes up the linkage. The rubber tubing is broken up. Its attached with small hose clamps. Do you know if this is a stock arrangement (the hose/hose clamps) or is it a temporary fix.

There still might be an air leak because I didn't get that far in checking things out.

Your problem is the same problem we have had continually with the Thomas Saf-T-Liner EF that the church owns. We have had to replace the rubber connectors in the height control linkage too many times.

Our repair tech suggested the problem arises with the church bus because it isn't used every week. It sits around long enough most weeks that the air leaks out of the air bags letting the suspension go all the way down. With the air bags going flat so many time the rubber hose/tubing on the height adjustment would get bent over and back again so many times the rubber would fail.

We replaced the hose/tubing with a Kenworth part that is metal with a rubber eye. Now if the bags leak down the ends won't be bending back and forth.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:39 AM   #23
Skoolie

Get that hose and reclamp it. it is used so when the suspension is flexing or drains out of air, it does not bend any parts or break any valves. you can charge the air up and move the valve by hand to see if the suspension fills up again, I bet it will.
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #24
Almost There

Year: 1999
Chassis: MVP RE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Well I finally got my rear suspension fixed. I did not order the valve kit for the bags but decided to replace the rubber hose and its working. One day I will have to revisit this job because the molded rubber piece on the actuator rod is cracking. The next job is ac repair!!
budbud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:47 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
sweet that you got it working right!!

too bad everyone is so far from me.. I have one or two of those rubber pieces laying around..

ive got so many bus parts in my garage it isnt funny.. lol

AC is a must!! im in the midst of an AC upgrade on my DEV bus.. scored a bunch of AC parts too for my SUperior.. ironically I stashed them in a storage unit in Texas..(dallas).. I was going to make a trip down to get them.. but not happening till Barry is up and gone..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:53 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Big surprise you're excited he's moving on to the A/C system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
sweet that you got it working right!!

too bad everyone is so far from me.. I have one or two of those rubber pieces laying around..

ive got so many bus parts in my garage it isnt funny.. lol

AC is a must!! im in the midst of an AC upgrade on my DEV bus.. scored a bunch of AC parts too for my SUperior.. ironically I stashed them in a storage unit in Texas..(dallas).. I was going to make a trip down to get them.. but not happening till Barry is up and gone..
It doesn't look like we'll be seeing too much of an impact from Barry here in E TX.
LA looks to get a good rinsing, tho.