Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Installed!

Again, sorry for whining in previous posts. I'm about done with that. But this job has been seriously compromised in time. I could have done everything documented here so far in one easy day. Dealing with this rash was like having some guy standing next to me while I'm working, with a sewing needle, randomly sticking me with it - at minimum once every 5 minutes in some random location. A sudden, extremely intense sensation, but itch instead of pain, that absolutely demands your immediate attention. That on top of a medium-level general all-over neck to ankle itching. Doesn't stop when you scratch. Hard to focus.

Anyway, the rash subdued a bit last Monday (after my last post), and I actually slept soundly for the first time in over a week, but got to sleep very late (after 3:00AM) and woke up just before 1:00PM. Had to cook, but then only had the last half of the afternoon on Tuesday to swap fittings from the old units to the new, and bolt the p.s.pump to the compressor. The compressor's p.s.pump flange was not re-surfaced when the unit was overhauled (looks like its main mounting flange-to-motor surface was, though) and it was really dinged up, so I used high-temp silicone to seal that one gasket surface, using the most minimal amount of silicone, spreading it with my finger, and making sure none was inside the opening's lip ("Silicone in the oil passages will void the compressor's warranty"). I also used aviation gasket sealer on the gasket for the unloader valve assembly, again, as thin as possible. I used Teflon tape on all the screw-in fittings for the head; they looked like they had originally been sealed with a red thread sealer.

Note the carbon buildup in the old compressor head, after I removed some "plug" fittings. Time for a new compressor!

Wednesday I got a late start (couldn't sleep again, then got up late again) and tried to use a "spider jack" (a floor-jack with 4 caster wheels) to lift the new unit up into place. The problems were multiple: The ground was not flat, the concrete is over 50 years old, and no longer smooth. The compressor would slide right off, even before I started rolling the jack. This was complicated more by the fact that the compressor needs to stand upright on the jack to lift it in the hole, but the bottom was not flat. That only wanted to make it slide off more. I almost silicone-glued a piece of flat-rubber flooring mat to the top of the jack's lift-plate, but it still would be a trick to hold the compressor upright while operating the jack handle. I gave up on that.

I put the unit on my chest, lying on the ground, and started a simulation of bench-pressing it up into place, but it is not like a tranny: lighter, but way off balance, and I did not feel comfortable trying to lift it strait up vertically, and then rotate it 45° up in that tight space, and then mount it on the studs.

Thursday (yesterday) I rigged up a rope-hoist system, using my caving gear climbing "ascenders". These are cam-locks for rope. That worked good. Without that, I would have got those load-retaining flat-straps with the lever-lock or the "ratcheting" locks. The 1+3/4" steel tube "bar" sits in a cradle (see left side of pic - but blurry - a 2×4 that was cut from 1/2 of a tree-core, and the core itself fell out leaving a round cradle) and is kind-of retained with a rubber bungie-strap (just right of the ascender rig)

The caving rope I used with the "ascenders" is very stiff (woven very tight to prevent mud from getting to the core fibers - mud acts like little razor blades that cut the fibers and kills your rope) and does not bend easy, and makes very large knots. A big knot would be in the way (since the high-pressure fuel-pump is in the way just above where the compressor mounts) so I used a piece of curtain draw-cord to wrap around the compressor (it has almost no stretch) and hitched it to the climbing rope using a prusik knot (like a good caver/climber would). That gave me the least distance between compressor and "ascender", since the space is extremely limited already.

Then, with the rope looped over the top bar (see pics) and back down under the bus to the compressor on the ground, I pulled down on the rope with one hand, while lifting the compressor head with the other, and got it standing upright, and held that way. Then I got in the bus, and with the rope coming up next to the T-handle tranny shifter, I simply pulled up, and up come the compressor, until the head hit the bus frame rail. Then back under the bus with the loose end of the rope fed back down, I again pulled the rope's loose end down while lifting and guiding the compressor up into the hole, clearing the head of the frame rail (this was "hard"). Then I could go back inside, and pull it up the rest of the way, until the prusik knot hit the ascender's cam. That was about 1"-2" short of up high-enough.

From there it was nothing to lift the compressor the rest of the way by hand from under the bus and mount it on the studs.

However, here's where the trick came in. The gears have to mesh: compressor to motor-front.

The compressor came with a paper/fiber gasket with orange "sealing stuff" on one side. I also bought an OEM gasket from the dealer, that is a metal "compression gasket" with a thin rubber layer on it, and no "sealing stuff". The latter was the kind that was on there, that was leaking.

I used the paper one at first, but could not get the gears to align. Forgot to bring a screw-driver to spin the gear to get it to align, and had to back the compressor off the mounting studs while I went to get said screw driver. The gear caught the paper gasket and tore it.

The real trick there is installing the compressor on the studs without damaging the gasket. Even just bumping it with the gears would nick it, and it would then likely leak; that may be why mine was leaking. The fiber gasket could be siliconed to the compressor flange (I would use black silicone, as it cleans off easier than the red high-temp stuff I used for the flange at the p.s.pump), and then you would only worry about the studs nicking the gasket, and that would be much easier to control, I think. But the metal gasket, just as susceptible to nicking, could not be, since it is a compression gasket and is not "flat" - it wants to warp.

Now I gotta see about new coolant-tube seals, for the tubes from the compressor head to the motor head. Also find new maxi-fuse holders, for the air-intake heater power cables. Otherwise, the job is done. If there are problems, I will report them back, otherwise, consider this a success.

note that the pics of the compressor under the bus seem upside-down.
Attached Thumbnails
0223211803a[1].jpg   0224211431a[1].jpg   0224211431b[1].jpg   0224211634[1].jpg   0224211652[1].jpg  

0225211342[1].jpg   0225211431[1].jpg   0225211432[1].jpg   0225211525[1].jpg   0225211532[1].jpg  

Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:49 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

What I would do different:

If I did this job again, I would do some things different.

1) I would pull and install the p.s.pump separate from the compressor. This will open the rear of the compressor up, and allow oil to leak out if the compressor is tipped when removing it, and that I why I left the p.s.pump on. However, the p.s.pump only dumped its own oil anyway. Also, when I started, I couldn't see the whole pump, and wasn't sure that I could get to all the mounting bolts (2 of them). They can be gotten to easy with the compressor still mounted to the engine, one from the top, one from the bottom.
I would also install the rear-bracket after mounting the compressor on the studs. Need the p.s.pump off for this (fittings get in the way). This would also almost give it a flat bottom for use with that spider-jack, and with one person holding the compressor, and another operating the jack handle, that may work fine.

This also might be the key to bench pressing the unit up into place without a rope-hoist system. Lighter, and better balance.

2) Might try to bench press the unit into place with a different approach angle. I was thinking my body (laying on the ground) would be perpendicular to the motor. I tried that position for the "final 2 inches" (see previous post), and it was way awkward. I rotated so my body was parallel to the motor, my head at the front of the bus, and that was much much much better. Plus I could lift it above my chest, not my head! With no p.s.pump mounted, the unit is more balanced, and at that angle, your hands work better to keep the unit properly upright (it gets top-heavy with that towering head!); that was my number one concern when I made a trial run and abandoned the "bench press" idea. Don't want a 80-lb chunk of cast-iron fumbling, slipping, and falling on my head. With a vehicle lift, I wouldn't hesitate to to try to "shoulder" it and lift it by hand into place (like we all have a lift for our bus, right?). But I've been slack these last 2 years, and don't get as much exercise with heavy stuff all the time like I used to.

3) as mentioned in the previous post, I would silicone the compressor mounting gasket to the compressor flange as I installed it.

4) I would focus on this in the morning (cold here this time of year) and try to finish before dark. I think the whole thing could be done in one day, if all the tools were present and the lifting-rig was ready to go when needed.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:33 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

some afterthoughts

first off, I made a mistake in my first post when I said
Quote:
Also, its unloader-valve output hose is oily - very oily, and there is a little puff of "smokish" looking stuff that comes out - but it dissipates immediately.
I had only read words about this system, never saw picks or the whole unit (it was hidden up there)
I was thinking the unloader valve directed the pumped air out when the system was full, or into the system when charging. Instead, it looks like it cuts off the air supply going into the compressor when the system is full.

The hose I saw I guess is a breather tube for the motor. That seems like a lot of blowby for a diesel. Anyway, I couldn't see where it was coming from until I removed the AC compressor.

I finally got new mega-fuse holders for the air-intake heaters, and checked the BlueBird dealer for new cooling-tube seals, for the tubes from the motor head to the compressor head. Can't get just the seals, and the tubes cost more than the rebuilt compressor! F

The dealer gave me a diagram that shows "O-rings" as well as the seals I saw. If there were O-rings, they totally disintegrated. Maybe I can try to add those if I see leaks.

Hopefully they won't leak, but if they do, I'll look for barbed nipple fittings and replace the tubes with rubber hose. I hope I can find the correct sizes.

I spent a day cleaning (+) cable terminals in various places. Finally went to re-install the AC compressor, and the bracket bolts won't go in the holes! Double F

Seems the front ones go through the mounting bracket into the block. When I removed them, the block dropped 1/64" or something, and the bolts just hit the lip. I'm praying I can jack under the oil-pan lip at the front corner of the block, and get it re-aligned without taking the front of the bus and the motor apart. And I'm hoping that bracket is not also an oil seal. I ran a tap from the opposite direction though the block to the bracket, and it pushed the bracket away 1/16" before the tap aligned in the hole and it snapped back, and started cutting new threads in the bracket.

Now I can just get a 1/4 of a thread to catch, but the bolt is not strait in the hole.

Seems like I wanted to add something else to this post, but now I forget. Maybe next time....
Old 03-16-2021, 01:40 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

So the Saturday following my last post (the next day) I woke in the middle of the night soaking wet with sweat from head to tow (0°F down sleeping bag, and the weather getting warmer - up to the mid 50°s). I tried to roll over and pull the wool blanket over me and just let it absorb the humidity, but then the itching started all over my body and wouldn't stop. So I went inside to shower, and that helped immediately. I went back out to the bus to go back to sleep, but the birds were already starting to chirp. It was after 2:00AM when I first went to bed, so then I slept till after noon. It was a bit cooler, and I just did not want to deal with the bracket.

Sunday I slept late again (after again going to bed after 2:00AM), and was cooler also, and after a hot shower, I started the cold-sweats thing again for most of the afternoon. So I blew off the work again.

Monday I went out feeling fresh, and with a prybar, was able to coerce the top bolt to start a thread. Turned it with the ratchet, and it went in! Pulled it back out, and tried with the bracket, and it was a bit harder, but I succeeded. Then with a jack under the oil-pan, I lifted some of the weight off the bracket and was able to get the other bolt to start a 1/4 thread, and drove it in with the ratchet.

So all is good there. Only then did I remember that I never ordered the Schrader valve tool. Still waiting for it, so I can re-install the A/C compressor, and try out the new air compressor and p.s.pump.
Attached Thumbnails
0308211418[1].jpg   0308211419[1].jpg   0308211457[1].jpg  
Old 03-16-2021, 10:51 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Hang in there because soon, all of that grunt labor will be in your rear view mirror. Would hazard a guess you can see where my suggestion to pull the motor came from. I have hernia surgery Thursday and it has kept me at home laying low but has not kept my CC in my wallet.
And I would like to say Thanks to your suggestion, 2@ 125 watts RMS Tube amplifiers came back to life, bought a 400 watt subwoofer and the shop is rockin..
Attached Thumbnails
dead.jpg  
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:33 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Thanks for the smiles Rivetboy!

Naw, it really wasn't that hard to do, except for my personal issues. They were (still are a bit: wish I could go backpacking/hiking/camping in the mountains, but the whole winter was lost, and now it looks like the spring will be also) hard to deal with even when I wasn't wrenchin. I was just scared that it would be a real PITA. Pulling the motor would have been far more, and harder, work. I still would have had to deal with the motor mount (I think I called it a bracket in my last post, confusing people with the A/C bracket) alignment issue. I still would have had to remove the wiring harnesses....plus the fuel lines, many more wiring harnesses, the front of the bus, radiator, lower crossmember, the tranny, and on and on. Replacing the tranny oil cooler lines was much worse than this job.

Tube amps! I'm drooling like Homer on a donut! And a 125 watt tube amp!?!?!?!?! Is that like a 1960s stage monitor amp? WOW!

Some guys in Hilo, HI had a tuner shop, and they were producing and selling 12V tube amps for cars. Big things. Several thousand$, if I remember correctly. Man, I'm jealous...

Got some catchin' up to do on those Dick's & Dave's Picks, myself. But that last release sure is a rockin, ya!
Old 03-16-2021, 01:50 PM   #27
Bus Nut

No they are Bob Latino amps. They were kits I built a few years ago. The signal to noise ratio is ??? There is None. You can turn the volume up to 11 on an an open input and there is 0 noise. Am really looking forward the hooking up the Klipsch subby after surgery. Ah life is good
Old 03-18-2021, 03:34 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

I've said that "all you need to know is how to know when to know you don't know enough". I should have known. I did know. I didn't pay enough attention.

So I got this valve core remover, but it doesn't work with my 134A quick connect ports. They are not threaded, but the tool's connectors are.

Back to waiting...
Attached Thumbnails
0318211624[1].jpg   0318211625[1].jpg   0318211625a[1].jpg  
Old 03-18-2021, 06:07 PM   #29
Bus Nut

"Look at the Sky; look at the River. Isn't it Good?"

Hey! Now you've got both kinds, Country and Western..
Old 03-18-2021, 11:28 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
"Look at the Sky; look at the River. Isn't it Good?"

Hey! Now you've got both kinds, Country and Western..
Well, that went over my head.

Pinky Anderson and Floyd Council...
Good ol' Georgia Blues players
They influenced the writer of these lyrics...
Good ol' Roger Keith Barrett

From the song, "The Gnome"

"and then one day another way for gnomes to say hurray!"

that is, after eating, sleeping, and drinking wine.
What else is there?
Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll, baby!

And Hiking in the Mountains.

The refrain is the important part. Love Earth! Save Earth! Aloha!
Old 03-19-2021, 06:45 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
nothing like the sound of a good tube amp!! when i DJ'd in the 90s. we had some really nice phase Linear Tube amps in the main club I spun. . no oither amp but a tube amp would slam the subwoofers as clean and crisp as those did.. other clubs wondered why are bass was so hard hitting when they had bigger speakers and bigger amps(electronic).. had a couple window A/C units behind the rack just to keep the amps cool. but I had a lot of fun spinning techno on those amps
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:02 AM   #32
Bus Nut

It is from the Blues Brothers. When they get to "Bobs Contry Bunker" they ask "What kind of music do play here?The barmaid answes "We have both kinds Country and Western"...
Old 03-19-2021, 02:53 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
nothing like the sound of a good tube amp!!

but I had a lot of fun spinning techno on those amps

"Digital is Dead. Long Live Analog"

That's what I say. But I'm me, and you are you, and that is the way it should be!

My Harmon Kardon AVR335 has a super-clean sound, but "cold". Less than 0.005% THD if I remember, from 7-70kHz. 55 watts RMS. It barely powers my Infinity bookshelf speakers and they are pretty small. Pounding Bass? HA! NO! But for those speakers, it works OK. The bass is there and you can feel it in the floor, even with the small woofers.

If you like techno, that's all you and all good. Not me! I say "music" is an "organic" expression of the "soul", not a program preformed by a computer. Most "techno" I hear I "hate". I did hear a techno composition once that I really thought was totally awesome, but it was still just a computer. Like a Beethoven or Bach composition, but programmed to "perfection" and then played back on a computer. Compositions are important, but it is the emotional inflection when played by a human that I think makes it "music". Too much pop music now-a-days has "digitally altered" vocals. If you like it, more power to you. I don't. My wife turned me on to early STS9, "trance-techno" preformed by musicians on stage, and that I loved. Then they turned into a "sampling hell" band. Last I saw them, they had one drummer, but the drum track was going far faster than his hands. Programmed rhythms are not live music! What was that 1990s cheesy pop band that got sued for lip-syncing the whole "live" tour?

And the bass in analog LPs far outshines that of digitally recorded music. No surprise that LPs are outselling CDs now-a-days. I hated CDs until I got a Pioneer with Burr-Brown DACs. They are fairly decent, in my ears. From the little I know, the DAC has to read the digital info and re-create the wave-form. As bass-waves are "long", the DAC has to "keep track" of more info to "find" the wave-form (using Fourier Mathematics which I know even less about), and that is processing power. The deeper the bass, the longer the wave, the lower-quality of reproduction.

Isolate a brain neuron in a petri dish, and it will "fire" randomly. Put two together, and they still fire randomly, and separately, but slightly in sync. The more neurons, the more the "firing" happens in sync, and the more a repeatable pattern emerges from the random chaos.

Jump to level of the brain. Every stimulus you encounter is a vibration - a repeating pattern. These stimuli "entrain" you brain waves to match that pattern. There are more electrical signals in your body than just "brain waves." These control the very life force in you. Richard Gerber experimented in the 1970s(?) with salamanders and frogs. Cut off a salamander's limb, and it will grow back. He studied the micro-levels of electro-magentic pulsed DC current in the tissues of the regenerating salamander, their strength, and polarity orientation. Then he cut off frogs' legs, and induced the same electromagnetic stimuli, and they grew their legs back (see: "The Body Electric"). He warned that the growing electromagnetic "pollution" in our world can cause problems. That "pollution" can come from tube or electronic amps, all the 60Hz AC electrical stuff we use (it closely resonates with our natural electrical vibrational state), cell phones and microwaves (part of the 5G conspiracy stuff), all of it... He also studied the electromagnetic phenomenon of bone growth, how the calcium "aligns" to create bone strength in the proper directions (based on the piezoelectric properties that become important when pressure is applied to the bone, making gravity very important for proper bone growth and health, if I remember correctly), and later pioneered something to do with bone healing.

Back in the day, when trains were starting to spread industrialization around the world, music was said to "change" to reflect these new "mechanical" rhythms. How did that influence and effect the very "consciousness" of the population? Both the mechanics, and the music? When I was growing up, we heard "that rock & roll music is going to rot your brain!". Bunch crazy of old bitys whining about changing times, is the way I saw it. Then came the "digital" revolution in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I could "feel" the "digital" vibe getting "into" me the more I used my computer online, and listened to more CDs (before it was cassettes of recorded LPs for me). If I went into the woods for a few days, I could feel more "relaxed". That digital vibe is ultra-fast, as are computer processors. I started noticing that the kids born then had that "vibe" "in" them. can't put it into words. I notice it when I sit quietly and meditate, traditional style.

Perhaps you can see it in body language. How fast and spontaneous a person moves. HOW that person moves. In the cadence of their language. And more. Compare the body language of a millennial who grew up in New York City with a person from the Amazon Jungle. Part of that is simply social "patterning" (training); you can (I can at least) see that in people who grew up in China - they way they step when they walk is different, but the hip joint is not that different - their kids who grew up in the U.S. move like Americans. But part of that difference is the "vibe" that is "in" them that shows in the actual movement.

Now I feel like that "old guy" complaining about "the kids now-a-days". But then I go even further, and see that people born before mechanics took over the world have an even more "peaceful" vibe - the few that are still alive. Old folks may move "slower" that the young in general, but that is not quite it. And I now see that those Old Bitys did have something important to say about me.

What does this have to do with a bus? Everything! I bought my bus so I could go park in the woods away from all that "pollution". Except for the music I play! Pink Floyd ( ) pioneered the "electronic music" revolution, although they "play" instruments "live", not programmed into a computer. Meditate on that, then on a Beethoven concert from an LP, and you will know the difference.

Anywhoos....

I ordered a different Valve Stem tool:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373131889563

It does the new R1234yf fittings, as well as R134a.

the link Booyah had was the most expensive.

This one was a bit more complete, working with different size cores, but didn't say the new R1234yf:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FJC-2750-Ma...t/332442521610

There were also these, that both look the same, but one says only R22. ??? And the fitting looks like R234a, not the R22 fitting on the tool I just got in the mail. Much better price, though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HVAC-AC-R13...s/202293148459

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17cm-High-L...2/164764187553

If R1234yf is going to be the new standard, it's worth it to me to get the better set for $10 more. But I'm not A/C certified, and I don't do tires (would these even be adaptable for tire valves?), so I unless I decide to settle down in one town and get a job in a shop set up with an A/C vacuum pump and all the other goodies, the "master" kits probably won't make me enough money to be worth it.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:03 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
The master kits definitely aren't worth it imo unless in a shop setting. A lot of ac tools could be considered specialty anymore, especially with r1234yf being the new norm and how expensive and accurate the tooling has to be. The days of paying a buck or two for a hand grenade of r134 seem to have passed.

The slotted part will work for a tire valve, but tire valve stem tools are cheap enough, I don't see the point in using this for that job.

As far as music is concerned, I love live music. Not the recorded live tracks, live music in person. I always thought it might have been the atmosphere and crowd, but I'm beginning to think it's actually in the music. The little quirks and errors that occur in a live track are what sounds good to me, and when that's synthesized and perfected on a recording I just don't like it.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:08 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

To put it another way,

It is common for the general public to know about Alpha, Beta, and Theta "Brain Waves" as measured by an EEG, and how they correspond to waking, falling asleep, light sleep, deep sleep, dreaming in the REM state, etc. For 50 or 70 years or whatever, this was taken by brain scientists to be factual data that pertained to every human. Indeed, tests around the world seemed to confirm that. Then in the last 5 or 10 years or something, someone tested "tribal" people who lived in a society that was non-industrial; deep in the jungle, or Aboriginies in the deserts of Australia or wherever. Those brain wave patterns did not exist in those people.

We humans evolved over millions of years with the vibrations of the Earth and winds, the rhythms of the oceans, the Moon and the Sun. The rhythms we make with drums were the "horse" that carried us to the spiritual world ... that changed our consciousness in real-time...that were used also to heal our bodily wounds by "shamans" who knew "how".

Valerie V. Hunt was a professor at UC Berkley. She started investigating the "human bio-electro-magnetic field" in the 1970s with the most sensitive electronic equipment of the time. Two things I remember reading about that struck me:

If you prick a finger of a test subject, the bio-electric field responds multiple times faster than the neuronal system. The field around the brain "gets the message" and is already affecting the EEG readout there, before the neuronal signal, which is electro-chemical and has to pause for that microsecond (or whatever) at every synapse for the molecule to cross the gap. There is real communication in this bio-electric system.

She also worked with world-renowned "lay-on hands healers" - people who say they can "see" the "aura" in full color, and manipulate it with the auric energy from their hands back to a "normal, healthy" state (put the colors where they should go, get their brightness just right). the readout from her machines exactly corresponded with what the "healers" said they saw and were doing to the subject's aura.

Then she took that data to the U.S. NIMH and got big $$$ funding for a mind-bending project....literally.

They built a room with special walls, floor, and ceiling that blocked out the Earth's magnetic field. The room had a "bed" in the middle where the subject would lie down. Sensors "measured" the subject's bio-electric field, and then a computer controlled powerful focused electromagnets that manipulated the said subject's field.

They chose subjects that were the worst case depression patients in the country. People who suffered deep despair for 20 years or more with no let-up, who tried everything else, talk therapy of all kinds, drugs, you name it. In one session in that room Valerie Hunt designed, those folks were cured for good...long term.

See the book: "The Infinite Mind"

thing about that is two things:

1) new type of antidepressants like Prozac emerged at the same time. The pharmaceutical industry (at that time at least) was the biggest in the world by 100×. The next biggest was the military industry.

2) Ex Naval Intelligence Debriefing Officer William Cooper says a lot of things about the "bad" side of the U.S. government (he quit and started talking, then they killed him, his wife, son, and dog, for "tax-evasion"). The CIA creates "front" organizations. Some are corporations. Some are other government organizations. The NIMH was an offshoot of the MK-Ultra (ultimate mind-kontrol) project that the CIA started in the late 1950s. That room would be the perfect thing to "interrogate spies" (the stated goal of the project) and convince them to co-operate, if they could induce a state of terror...absolute terror...and there is nothing you can do to think your way out of it as you are trained to do.

on a lighter note, have you heard of the band "Ozric Tentacles". I call them an "organic techno" band. That techno-sound-mastery but played live. Really, I think they were pioneers of the sound, back from the early 1980s. A bit more psychedelic than the "dance club" techno, though. I really love them. Got to see them live in the 1990s, but I think their lineup had changed a little. One of the top 5 shows I've seen of all time, and I have a giant manila mailing envelope that is 6" thick with ticket stubs. There had to be 300-500 flashing, dancing lights, each one tied to a different "texture" in the music, but even without the light show, the band was mind-blowing. I heard the band had evolved to the point that no original members were left, just livin' off the cred...but not so good anymore.

As for me, I'm a bit "spaztic". Energy gets in my hands and they just want to move. I first was made aware of this in elementary school when the otherwise really nice girl who sat next to me looked at me one day and called me a "spaz" with a nasty look on her face. I had been tapping my knees with both hands for a while, and I guess it drove her crazy. I didn't even realize!

Still to this day I feel that way some times. But get me away from all this "spaztic" electrical energy in this polluted hell we call "civilization" and I calm right down. So "rapid" music like techno can really get me going and just bouncing off the walls. I "hate" coffee, too. NO WAY!

"I'd rather be in some dark hollow, where the sun don't ever shine, than to be in some big city, with a girl, with you, on my mind." Or something close to that...
Old 03-19-2021, 09:18 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
The master kits definitely aren't worth it imo unless in a shop setting. A lot of ac tools could be considered specialty anymore, especially with r1234yf being the new norm and how expensive and accurate the tooling has to be. The days of paying a buck or two for a hand grenade of r134 seem to have passed.

The slotted part will work for a tire valve, but tire valve stem tools are cheap enough, I don't see the point in using this for that job.

As far as music is concerned, I love live music. Not the recorded live tracks, live music in person. I always thought it might have been the atmosphere and crowd, but I'm beginning to think it's actually in the music. The little quirks and errors that occur in a live track are what sounds good to me, and when that's synthesized and perfected on a recording I just don't like it.
My thinking exactly on all points.

Except that I would hope to find a fitting that would screw on a tire valve so I could use this tool to change the tire valve core without deflating the tire. I have basic valve core tools already. Seems like the one I already just got (the R22 one) could be adapted for that, with the right adapter fitting.

"Dark Side Of The Moon" was the most over-engineered album, taking the most time in the studio to "perfect" every note, at the time (if not ever). A masterful musical composition. As a Pink Floyd freak, I hardly listen to it. They started playing that set live a year before the album was released. I listen to those recordings all the time. They are much better, IMO.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:11 PM   #37
Bus Nut

[QUOTE=Mountain Gnome;431267]My thinking exactly on all points.

Except that I would hope to find a fitting that would screw on a tire valve so I could use this tool to change the tire valve core without deflating the tire. I have basic valve core tools already. Seems like the one I already just got (the R22 one) could be adapted for that, with the right adapter fitting.

"Dark Side Of The Moon" was the most over-engineered album, taking the most time in the studio to "perfect" every note, at the time (if not ever). A masterful musical composition. As a Pink Floyd freak, I hardly listen to it. They started playing that set live a year before the album was released. I listen to those recordings all the time. They are much better, IMO.[/QUOT

I have been blessed with magic fingers I can touch devices switches engines generators motorcycles airplanes young girls machinery whatever and make it hum. I have worked on attack helicopters battleships DDGs FFGs CGs etc chaff launchers conventional aircraft HVAC automation systems antique phones Generators electric trains real trains high voltage switchgear energy management solar plants signaling systems. Tube amplifiers Wurlitzer and Hammond organs Heathkits EICO kits Knight kits the list of Electrical experience is long and sometimes unrecognizable at this point. I came from the age of Alfred P. Morgan and knew who Marconi and Tesla and Edison were from before they were cool.

why and when did on/off become so damn complicated
Old 03-20-2021, 11:09 AM   #38
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
We humans evolved over millions of years with the vibrations of the Earth and winds, the rhythms of the oceans, the Moon and the Sun. The rhythms we make with drums were the "horse" that carried us to the spiritual world ... that changed our consciousness in real-time...that were used also to heal our bodily wounds by "shamans" who knew "how".
I forgot the point I was trying to make here:
Cancer and auto-immune disease is highest in the "civilized" highly industrial countries in the world, and continues to grow, percentage wise, in the population.

Is this from chemical pollution? Electromagentic pollution? Both individually? A combination of which the sum is greater than the parts?

Those who study the bio-electric field (aura) seem to say that the last one is the key to understanding health.

Its a brave new world out there, and we are stepping into a reality that is completely different than what "mother nature" had set up for us.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:27 AM   #39
Bus Nut

You are missing the elephant in the room. Diet. You are what you eat and if you eat highly processed and high fat and minimum fiber and you are obese is just a matter of time before the SHTF. Diabetes is way over represented in our society because of diet. Obesity leads to stroke,
certain types of cancer and heart disease. Alcohol is another factor also.
Just my 2 cents but my wife is a cancer survivor for over ten years and a vegetarian. When I went vegan, I went from 250 to 170 lbs. in a year. Your mileage may vary.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:30 AM   #40
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
People lose weight as vegans because everything tastes like **** and you don’t eat ..

Give me my organic beef and cheese anyday
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote