Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Air compressor used for tools/tires?

Since my bus has air brakes can I hook a hose up to it to fill my tires with air and run air tools? Will this cause damage to the system if I do?

Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Almost There

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
I'll be using my air compressor for tools as well, and adding a train horn. It shouldn't damage the system, and it shouldn't interfere with the use of your brakes as long as there's not a leak, you properly maintain it, and you don't use them a lot as you're driving, which I'm hoping you wouldn't.
wendysdrivethrudude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysdrivethrudude View Post
I'll be using my air compressor for tools as well, and adding a train horn. It shouldn't damage the system, and it shouldn't interfere with the use of your brakes as long as there's not a leak, you properly maintain it, and you don't use them a lot as you're driving, which I'm hoping you wouldn't.

But what if I want to use my air horn while using air wrench while I am driving? LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Yes, you can. However, it's hardly the most efficient way to do it, running a big diesel engine just to power a small tool! What some folk do, and what I did, is to use a small on-board 120VAC electric compressor which can be powered from shore or a generator. The benefit of this is that you always have an emergency air source if your engine compressor does not work or if the engine does not start - imagine being in a campground during a rain storm, the nearby creek is rising and will soon inundate the entire campsite, in other words you have to move out NOW but your engine won't start, so therefore you can't release your brakes to be towed out by someone with a pickup or tractor. Any on-board electric compressor, even a small 12VDC one, will be enough to build air sufficient to releaser brakes. Another reason is to avoid running a diesel at idle with effectively no load: this is bad for any engine, and especially bad for my Detroit.

I connected my electric compressor output to a simple filter and moisture trap before it feeds into the accessories tank, with a gauge to see how much pressure I have. I also made a connection between the accessories and wet tanks with a valve so in an emergency I can air up the entire bus just by turning one valve. Simple, and potentially very useful. I have three air outlets around the bus for tools or inflating tires, and an air inlet near the front for connecting shop air or a tow truck's air supply.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 02:51 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: Don'
Coachwork: Don't have one yet
Chassis: Don't have one yet
Engine: Don't have one yet
Rated Cap: Don't have one yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Yes, you can. However, it's hardly the most efficient way to do it, running a big diesel engine just to power a small tool! What some folk do, and what I did, is to use a small on-board 120VAC electric compressor which can be powered from shore or a generator. The benefit of this is that you always have an emergency air source if your engine compressor does not work or if the engine does not start - imagine being in a campground during a rain storm, the nearby creek is rising and will soon inundate the entire campsite, in other words you have to move out NOW but your engine won't start, so therefore you can't release your brakes to be towed out by someone with a pickup or tractor. Any on-board electric compressor, even a small 12VDC one, will be enough to build air sufficient to releaser brakes. Another reason is to avoid running a diesel at idle with effectively no load: this is bad for any engine, and especially bad for my Detroit.

I connected my electric compressor output to a simple filter and moisture trap before it feeds into the accessories tank, with a gauge to see how much pressure I have. I also made a connection between the accessories and wet tanks with a valve so in an emergency I can air up the entire bus just by turning one valve. Simple, and potentially very useful. I have three air outlets around the bus for tools or inflating tires, and an air inlet near the front for connecting shop air or a tow truck's air supply.

John
Hey John

Could you share what compressor and fittings you used?

thanks

Mark
MarkCHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 02:58 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
Ross Taylor -- Rolling Living--

This video covers exactly where to draw air for "accessories"...

PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air brake, compressor, modification, tools