Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2020, 07:45 PM   #1
Skoolie

Air leak

What started out as a slow leak from the rear brake circuit now has become critical. The bus will not reach pressure front or rear..after turning off the bus i can hear air escaping from directly below driver's area.

2003 BB TC2000 FE.

Need help fixing. Anyone who can help me near Joshua tree national park?

Could be a simple leak, cracked hose etc. I use a wheelchair so i can't get under there go identify.

Disbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Delete... double post.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:50 PM   #3
Traveling

This is why it's a good idea to check this sort of thing and repair it before it gets this bad, folks. It kind of sounds like the air spring for the parking brake release.

How do you know it started in the rear circuit?
Old 10-04-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
Skoolie

Recently i replaced a quick release valve in the rear. Helped but didn't fix the leak down in the rear. Then short stops i lost all my rear air.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
Traveling

Leakdown on pedal application is probably a brake chamber. But you could also have a bad / weak compressor or governor. Treadle valve (at brake pedal) could also be bad. Also check lines in these areas.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:05 PM   #6
Skoolie

Replacing a pressure relief valve on the secondary air tank should fix it. $32.

Hopefully the only problem.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:21 PM   #7
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disbus View Post
Replacing a pressure relief valve on the secondary air tank should fix it. $32.

Hopefully the only problem.
It'd be nice if it were that simple, but I doubt brake application would make a difference if it were. Leakdown on application points more to brake chambers or treadle valve IMO. Just my $0.02.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:41 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Last vehicle I had that would not build air pressure, it turned out to be the air dryer, the purge valve so gummed up it was sticking "open". Also could be air ride system (won't leak until the protection valve opens at around 60 PSI).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:14 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I am interested to see what you find is the problem and the solution.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:48 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
What brad said, air dryer and air springs in the rear( leveler valve and a bag) are 2 areas that have given me air leaks.

On most fronts engine busses a lot of stuff with air system happens near / under driver seat so it’s tough to diagnose without getting someone under it. The tanks and dryer are in that area.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:08 AM   #11
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Last vehicle I had that would not build air pressure, it turned out to be the air dryer, the purge valve so gummed up it was sticking "open". Also could be air ride system (won't leak until the protection valve opens at around 60 PSI).
I can see the dryer / purge valve sticking, but would a skoolie even have a protection valve? I thought that was a semi tractor thing for combination vehicles if the trailer breaks away? Or are you talking about a different type of valve?
Old 10-07-2020, 06:58 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
I can see the dryer / purge valve sticking, but would a skoolie even have a protection valve? I thought that was a semi tractor thing for combination vehicles if the trailer breaks away? Or are you talking about a different type of valve?

yes school busses have protection valves for accessories.. the air suspension, stop sign, air door, air seat, etc are all behind a protector valve.. usually gives you about 70-80 PSI of air in your tanks. . enough your springs wont apply and you'll have decent service braking pressure to get you stopped and safe. anbd if you need to move the bus you can..

its hard to speculate without the OP having someone who can crawl underneath for him and look..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
They're talking a pressure protection valve, and like Christopher pointed out, it only allows air to flow to the accessories if the tanks have over 65-95 psi.

A tractor protection valve, which won't be on a school bus, is there to protect tractor air pressure in case of trailer loss of pressure.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:01 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Someone is going to have to crawl around underneath and find your leak. We sadly can't do that for you online. That same someone is likely going to have to repair your leak as well, so hopefully find somebody handy with tools and is somewhat mechanically inclined.

If you can't do that, you're best bet is to call some sort of road side service. I doubt it will be cheap, but hopefully they'll get it fixed for you and you'll be back on the road.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #15
Skoolie

This pressure relief valve on the secondary tank looks to be the culprit. Clearly leaking air 100% of the time. You can see the ball valve is not seated, rattling around inside. Should have the new one in today or tomorrow.

Old 10-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
This pressure relief valve on the secondary tank looks to be the culprit. Clearly leaking air 100% of the time. You can see the ball valve is not seated, rattling around inside. Should have the new one in today or tomorrow.

Old 10-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #17
Traveling

I hope that this is the OP's problem, I just don't see how that would cause increased leakdown on brake application by itself.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #18
Skoolie

I never had leak down as you describe. Did i missspeak? It worked, then didn't. I had low pressure, frequent compressor working. Trying to get it fixed when it gave up completely.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #19
Traveling

Quote:
Recently i replaced a quick release valve in the rear. Helped but didn't fix the leak down in the rear.Then short stops i lost all my rear air.
Quote:
What started out as a slow leak from the rear brake circuit now has become critical. The bus will not reach pressure front or rear..after turning off the bus i can hear air escaping from directly below driver's area.
These two indicate leakdown as well as application pressure outrunning the compressor.

Regardless of the cause, this should be a lesson to anyone. Fix it before it gets this bad.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:53 PM   #20
Skoolie

Ok, yes daddy. Enough lecture