Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2021, 11:55 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: N/A
Chassis: N/A
Engine: N/A
Airdog Raptor Lift Pump Installation Tips

So, we have a 2001 Blue Bird TC2000 (The school said it was a TC1000, but the VIN says it's a TC2000). It's got a Cummins 24V 5.9 and an Allison 2500 transmission.

I imagine most of us with a 2nd generation Cummins 5.9 are up to speed about the VP44 injection pump needing good fuel pressure from the lift pump, and that the stock lift pumps aren't known for lasting very long.

The maintenance records we got with our bus show at least 2 lift pump replacements and the VP44 was replaced along with the last lift pump. So at least our VP44 is pretty new! That being said, we want to take it easy on that thing so it lasts us a good while.

We recently started getting a low fuel pressure SES code, so we replaced the fuel filters and the Carter lift pump with a Delphi pump, but it seems that we got a defective Delphi. So we're back to finding another pump to install, but we've decided to take the plunge into the more expensive aftermarket for these with an Airdog Raptor pump.

Pureflow Airdog actually has 2 options that would work with our bus. The somewhat less expensive option is the FRRP 100, part number R3SBD100, (Factory Replacement) pump that goes in the same place on the engine block as the stock pump. The other option is the more expensive Raptor 4G 100, part number R4SBD049, that you mount on the frame rail under the bus wherever you'd like it.

We bought both, but haven't decided which one to install, and which one to return. We're throwing this out here because I'm sure we're not the only ones to ever install these on a bus, and we're curious what others have found the most success with.

Those that have installed them, any tips or tricks to know about before we start getting dirty? These things were designed for the Dodge trucks and I think I already see a couple of modifications we'll have to make for it to work. Just trying to get any info we can to make this project more likely to be successful.

Any and all info is welcome. And feel free to make a trip to Columbus, IN if you love to change lift pumps!

Ourversionoflife3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:10 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Click image for larger version

Name:	10DAD93B-59F2-469C-864C-1BC8F1F40F8A.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	55348

Click image for larger version

Name:	AE409085-2193-447C-98F0-1FC04342DFB2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	55349

Can someone more knowledgeable than me please tell me exactly what I’m looking at here? This is what I can see through the hole in my floor over top of the fuel tank.

If I understand correctly, there is a fuel supply line coming out of the tank, and a fuel return line going into the tank. I assume the supply line is the bigger one?
Old 04-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
I would assume the same but you’d best just follow the lines to see where the go.

I’m guessing you got the pump installed by now. I just put a fass pump to feed my caps injection pump in my 8.3. Same ideas as what you’re doing.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:27 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Did you ever install this? I was looking at replacing mine. I also have a filter on the frame. Thought maybe I could do a pump/filter/water separator and add my pressure gauge right after.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:06 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I actually never did install the Air Dog. I decided to just replace the Carter lift pump for now, which should be good for about 30k miles...

I probably will do an upgrade at some point, but at least its running good for now, fuel wise.

I'd still love to learn from other people's experiences with this though!