Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2022, 10:07 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Bosch P7100 AFC no pressure

O.k. problem continues. I got the new waste gate on the turbo but its still not running well. I disconneted the hose from the afc and there is no pressure on the afc coming out.

How much pressure should be whilst idling and when you hit the gas?

Flitzeflap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:39 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
I have never messed with the settings on a P-Pump-- but I think you are talking about the hose from the intake to the AFC housing. Looks to me that you should have some amount of boost (maybe close to zero at idle) and as you rev the engine -- the pressure should increase. I would think the pressure in that hose would show the same as a boost gauge connected to the intake after the turbo and the intercooler. Maybe close to zero all the way up to 15 lbs maybe?
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:46 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
AFC takes intake pressure. Whatever your boost pressure is normally at idle is what will be present at at the AFC at idle, very likely near 0.

Did you actuate the arm on the turbo to make sure it moves freely when you replaced the actuator?

What was your complaint again? No power?
Old 05-23-2022, 11:02 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
my waste gate needed adjustment after i replaced my manifold. the length of the rod adjusts the psi that it opens up at. at first i had it opening before i had any pressure. a couple of turns of the rod got me to where it stayed closed until i built pressure.

you should be able to see the waste gate operate and pressure building in the charge tubes before it opens. you'll need a boost gauge to set the psi onthe waste gate exactly.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:30 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
yea boost gauge

the afc housing line on my buss comes from the compressor housing of the turbocharger. A tee fitting of some sort as close to the turbo as you can.

and there is a pipe plug on the intake manifold I stuck a boost gage fitting on that pipe plug......

No boost with the bus just sitting.... just cant get enough of a load on the turbocharger to do that just sitting there...... If you run it in gear against the brakes... but that is not good for the transmission at all...
william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:44 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the replies so far! I had to work the last days so could`t play around too much. There is pressure on the hose and on the T fitting on the afc housing once the engine is reved up.

However, I realised that there is no movement on the rod of the waste gate that comes out of the turbo charger. So I guess this is my problem.

Wast gate is new so it should move. What could be the problem here?
I did a little test drive yesterday and it has not power once I hit the gas pedal. Also it starts to smoke white. So that should be too much air.

I am not too familiar with turbos so where should I start to look?
Old 05-26-2022, 08:53 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flitzeflap View Post
I am not too familiar with turbos so where should I start to look?
That right there. You need to familiarize yourself with the turbo. You didn't replace the wastegate, you replaced the actuator. At least that's what you said you did in another thread you started regarding low boost. You need to see if the waste gate arm will move, they rust, it happens, and if it's stuck open, you won't build much boost, and won't get any fuel due to the afc limiting it until it sees boost.
Old 05-30-2022, 03:17 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
That right there. You need to familiarize yourself with the turbo. You didn't replace the wastegate, you replaced the actuator. At least that's what you said you did in another thread you started regarding low boost. You need to see if the waste gate arm will move, they rust, it happens, and if it's stuck open, you won't build much boost, and won't get any fuel due to the afc limiting it until it sees boost.

You are totally right! I still need to learn on the turbo! Part of the problem is that I am not a native speaker. I am German and its toigh to get technical translations for the parts!
I do not have time to work on the bus but reply once I found why my arm doesnt move!