Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach - Single Axle
Engine: Cummins NH-250, Fuller T-905M
Broken Leaf in Stack - new leaf or new stack?

Hi All,

My 1974 Crown is currently in the shop to fix urgent issues and get it safe for family trips. Back wheels are off to do the rear brakes and we found a broken leaf on right side.

Option a) fixt the one leaf.
- pull out the stack and have the spring shop make a new one
- I'm paying a mechanic for this work, so I'm trying to do minimum and save non-critical jobs for me later.

Option b) wait and swap both stacks with salvaged parts.
- leave it as is and wait until I have time to salvage a whole new stack and parts for both sides and then do it on my own time.
- concern is driving with a broken spring in the stack - we don't use it much, and it's lightly loaded when we do, so as long as it's not going to drop out on the road, considering driving as is until I have time to do both sides with salvaged parts.

Welcome your thoughts.

Thanks,

Adam

upbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Hmmmm... Maybe its time to upgrade to air ride!?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Suspension component broken in heavy vehicle carrying my family?

I'd fix it now. Some leaf springs are more critical than others , depends which it is. Longest one with eye is a keeper.

Why does he want to exchange both sets? Why did it break- how does rest of pack look?

How much is a new pair fabricated to your specs?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Exchanging both sets was my idea.

I have little history on the bus, other than miles are 367k.

My thinking is if one leaf broke it's likely age/fatique, and there's no way to really know the condition of the rest of the stack, or the other side, but they're probably all relatively similar = old and tired.

If I pay to custom make/bend a replacement leaf (their current proposal) what's to say the other side isn't ready to crack somewhere too.

They're thinking probably $500 to replace a single leaf.

I haven't yet found numbers for a new spring, but I understand part of benefits of Crown is compatible with class 8 parts. I was hoping that meant I might find a stock leaf spring that would work.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Can delay big family trips until everything is squared away. I'm prioritizing best use of money to make best possible restored vehicle. Usually that means not being in a rush, so I'm relatively patient on this one if there's a better way than custom individual leafs.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #6
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by upbeat View Post
I'm prioritizing best use of money to make best possible restored vehicle.
I hear you, for sure.

I understand your concern for the remaining springs- you don't know what event caused the failure or the condition of the remainders. Same issue with salvage springs.

Best bet would be to take some accurate measurements- calipers help here. Start calling around like you do this every day-have your lingo and specs ready as most shops aren't real patient. Be wary of the price too good to be true.

Here is link about measuring
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:38 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Check with Eaton Detroit. Been around forever and have or can fab springs for darn near anything at a reasonable price.

A stack that approaching 50 years old in a rig that size is probably due for replacement.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
If you are near a city of any size, there will be a spring shop that can fix the pack or make a new one
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by upbeat View Post
Exchanging both sets was my idea.

I have little history on the bus, other than miles are 367k.

My thinking is if one leaf broke it's likely age/fatique, and there's no way to really know the condition of the rest of the stack, or the other side, but they're probably all relatively similar = old and tired.

If I pay to custom make/bend a replacement leaf (their current proposal) what's to say the other side isn't ready to crack somewhere too.
I Built a trailer & put brand new spring packs on & first trip out broke a spring, Also broke a spring on a Semi once & other springs where fine I wouldn't go thru the expense off changing both spring packs, Also there's a shop in Dixon,CA that makes single or spring packs to order, they seemed reasonable to me when I used them.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:26 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
You should check if you have the same number of leafs (leaves?) on each side. My Crown has one more leaf on the left side rear because the two 8D start batteries were on that side, so Crown balanced their 330 pounds weight by making the left spring slightly stiffer and slightly thicker. Will you have an equal weight on each side, or will you have more weight on one side or the other? This may affect what you do now to deal with the broken leaf.

My issue is that I will eventually have about 800 pounds more weight on the right side, because the eight house batteries, the two Group 31 start batteries and the generator are all on the right. As a result of this unavoidable weight imbalance and the different springs, my bus now sits about 1.5" lower on the right. I plan on making some simple brackets that will sit next to the frame rails above the rear axle, and each bracket will hold two 4.5"-diameter air bags bearing down on the top of the axle's spring clamps. This should be sufficient to level the bus with less than 100 PSI. If the bus leaned to the left I wouldn't bother doing anything, but road camber makes the right lean seem worse than it is.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:20 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

If it was me, I would check the rest of the springs in the pack to make sure none of the others were broken or getting ready to break.

And then I would pull the broken spring out and put it back together without it. I doubt you will miss it any time soon.

Eventually you will need to think about new springs or going air ride. But short term you will never need the support that one leaf would carry since you won't be loading any weight inside.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ive always looked at air ride as a means for height adjustment and sort of 'shocks' wit hthe stock shocks.. however is there a way to determine whether i should just my air ride 'down' or not since my bus is obviously lighter than it would be with a load of kids on it?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote