Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2023, 06:59 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
On both of the mt and ht series there is a solenoid valve that is installed to apply lock up upon application of jake or exhaust brake. It was the same part that was used to apply lock up for pto use. Otherwise like was mentioned in post 20 it just freewheels so to speak.

Old 10-31-2023, 09:57 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I've seen that external solenoid and line on the HT's, never on an MT. I imagine it could work much the same so long as the valve body allows it.

Would be a necessary addition IMO if you are going with an exhaust brake on one. Be sure to tap the B+ line into the harness after the idle validation switch. You don't want to be stopped by this being engaged because of the switch on the dash.
Old 01-12-2024, 01:50 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

8.3 engine brake

Iím converting my 40ft bluebird 6ct 8.3 Cummins and Iím in the rabbit hole of finding an additional braking solution. I see on the Cummins website https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/qsol/products/newparts/jacobs_md_nondodge.html
There looks to be an engine brake, but I have no idea whatís involved in the install and function. I have an md3060 transmission at least.
Bjorkinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 03:28 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
That is an exhaust brake. It works by closing a butterfly valve in the exhaust manifold. It is only as effective as your exhaust valve springs. I think it is around 200 negative horsepower when everything is working properly and at 2000 rpm. The transmission also has to lock the torque converter when it is engaged or it is useless. Will it help? Better than nothing. I have an exhaust brake on my 1 ton manual transmission truck and it helps but it is not anything like a real engine brake or a transmission retarder.

Tags
allison mt 643, bluebird, cummins 5.9, mountains