Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2021, 09:45 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
Bus Value?? 1996 BlueBird All American

I looked at and rode in this bus today. 1996 BlueBird All American, 8.3 Cummins rear engine, MD3060 148,000 miles, 5900 hours. This bus has either a P-Pump or Bosch MW mechanical injection pump. Bus started up fine when cold, drove good down the road and shifted good as best as I could tell. I did notice a "chirp" when it shifted sometimes.

Bus was bought new by a Military Academy in Gainesville GA, and the title as when purchased new was in possession of the current owner. It has a basement compartment that goes all the way across under the bus, and has air conditioning. It uses two compressors each with it's own belt that supply to big evaporaters located on the package tray on each side of the bus. One side works, the compressor is locked up on the other side.

No rust that I could see anywhere.

The right side of the bus down near the bottom has been rubbed up against something, and the two basement doors and piece of metal in front of the rear wheel well are dented pretty badly.

I crawled under it, and no leaks that I could see, just the usual oily residue under the transmission. No smoke when started, and I tried to watch out the rear view when we were on the road-- and I did not see any smoke.

It does have a luggage rack on the top.

He wants $8500 for it. Is this in line?

PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I am not going to buy it. This bus is in Anniston Alabama, and they fellow who owns it has no use for it-- he traded a pontoon boat for it. It's just too big for me. I also have started on another bus-- and at my current rate of travel-- I may expire before I get it done. He can text you photos and answer questions.

His phone number is 256-926-9209.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:23 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
This sounds like a pretty good deal for $8500. Buses with the Cummins 8.3 and the MD3060 transmission these days go in the neighborhood of $10K, and things like the mechanical injectors, underbody storage, AC and roof rack are all big plusses. Dents like what you describe are pretty easy to fix.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I have no financial interest in this bus-- just thought it was a good unit someone might want.

I went around to three of the air tanks and opened the petcocks-- and maybe a teaspoon of greenish liquid came out, after that only air. He said it would hold air for a week after shutdown. The rear brake shoes looked to be over 1/2 or more thick-- no evidence of any hubs leaking. All the brake system components were clean --- so that makes me think the compressor is not using oil.

Also-- it does have quite a bit of oil and oily residue from the draft tube to the rear bumper. The top of the engine has been pressure washed-- but not the bottom-- so I guess that is 148,000 miles worth of blowby residue. Could an 8.3 have blow by issues at 148,000 miles and 5900 hours?

Radiator was dry on top and bottom, has green coolant.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:01 PM   #5
Bus Nut

My wife says I don't need this-- but I sure do like it. I love these older mechanical diesels. I have some 12 valve Dodge pickups-- and my bus is a P-Pump DT466-- sort of like I am trying to preserve history. Also-- it is what most of the third world is buying new and running everyday. The Toyota Land Cruisers destined for countries without strict emissions regulations all run mechanical fuel injection.

I'll quit rambling....
Old 10-26-2021, 03:36 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchDog View Post
He said it would hold air for a week after shutdown.
I drive one-year-old Thomas C2s for work, and the majority of them literally do not hold air between the morning and afternoon runs.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:08 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
A fully charged air brake system for single vehicles should be no less than 2 psi in 1 minute leakdown with the engine shut off. If it leaks down 1 psi in a minute, I'd still want to have the air system serviced.

A mechanical 12 valve 8.3 6CT with a slobber tube will get things oily pretty quickly. If you run it higher rpm without any kind of proper egr or oil settling bowl, it's going to make a mess.

The greenish liquid is probably engine oil that's been fractioned out in the air system. New brake shoes are pretty thick, 1/2" sounds like time to replace.

If there's a true hour meter on the motor and that is accurate for the miles, that means it's entire life has had a good fraction of highway speeds. That's averaging out to 25 miles per hour for it's lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchDog View Post
I have no financial interest in this bus-- just thought it was a good unit someone might want.

I went around to three of the air tanks and opened the petcocks-- and maybe a teaspoon of greenish liquid came out, after that only air. He said it would hold air for a week after shutdown. The rear brake shoes looked to be over 1/2 or more thick-- no evidence of any hubs leaking. All the brake system components were clean --- so that makes me think the compressor is not using oil.

Also-- it does have quite a bit of oil and oily residue from the draft tube to the rear bumper. The top of the engine has been pressure washed-- but not the bottom-- so I guess that is 148,000 miles worth of blowby residue. Could an 8.3 have blow by issues at 148,000 miles and 5900 hours?

Radiator was dry on top and bottom, has green coolant.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #8
Almost There

Year: ‘09
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: 6.7
Rated Cap: 35’
Knowing that you need a head gasket replaced, I would not move the bus. Bit if you have to, and you are near Phoenix, AAA bus sales will be your best bet.
Ranchorossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #9
Bus Nut

The above reply was about a bus a fellow was purchasing out west-- the bus I have described above is NOT that bus.

Regarding the All American with the 8.3-- the fellow has lowered his price to $7500.00. This bus was never a "school bus"-- it does not have the flashing lights, or a stop sign, I think it would be called an "activity bus" hence the reason for 25MPH average speed over its life. The seats look like nice seats in a transit bus or something, high back individual seat backs. Package tray above the seats.

The front tires look good but have 4208 in the DOT info line-- so I think they are 13 year old Michelin. The rears have a lot of tread-- they are Bridgestone-- possibly newer-- but I could not see the DOT info on them.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Bus is sold....