Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 08:19 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Man, thats good news!
I'm really surprised it had a plastic impeller.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:37 AM   #22
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGCAT View Post
Got the pump sent out for rebuilding. The impeller broke when I laid it down. I thought it was a metal impeller, but it was plastic and being old it broke easily. Should be done by Tuesday morning for around 250 bucks total.
Right now I am working on the windshield replacing. Today is going to be around 90 outside. Been to cool to have the rubber flexible enough to get the old broken windshield out. So we will see what happens today. Got a couple of the suction cups to hold the glass better. Found a place local that will cut me a new windshield for 125 bucks! Can't beat that.
Sounds like great news ! Whatever it takes to turn that trailer into a vehicle that can move under it's own steam.

What are your plans for your classic Crown?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Man, thats good news!
I'm really surprised it had a plastic impeller.
I just saw your in Eustis. My brother lives in Eustis. Right next to Lake Eustis on the NE shore.
HOGCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:48 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
I just saw your in Eustis. My brother lives in Eustis. Right next to Lake Eustis on the NE shore.
I'm right off 19 a block or so behind Big Orange Tire.
Small world!
Old 10-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I'm right off 19 a block or so behind Big Orange Tire.
Small world!
Small world for sure. He has two houses by Grand Island Shores and route 44. Going to fly to Orlando this winter to visit and plan on moving back to the area in 13 months with the Crown.
Going out today and take my busted windshield to the glass guy and have a new one made. Plus my water pump should be done today I hope. Got a bunch of work to do before the trip. Not going back to Florida during the summer. To much humility to endure in the warmer months. So next winter is my plan.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Small world for sure. He has two houses by Grand Island Shores and route 44. Going to fly to Orlando this winter to visit and plan on moving back to the area in 13 months with the Crown.
Going out today and take my busted windshield to the glass guy and have a new one made. Plus my water pump should be done today I hope. Got a bunch of work to do before the trip. Not going back to Florida during the summer. To much humility to endure in the warmer months. So next winter is my plan.
I'd love to see that Crown!
NEVER seen one in person.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:13 PM   #27
Traveling

Quote:
I'd love to see that Crown!
NEVER seen one in person.
See it, it's going to be parked in your yard !!! That is insanely small World stuff.

Pow ! Mind blown.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:39 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Got the water pump from the rebuilders. Looks like new. Left the split pulley on it hoping they would free the adjustment up on it. But I had to when I got it back. Here is a video of it
Old 10-31-2017, 04:39 PM   #29
Traveling

Quote:
Got the water pump from the rebuilders. Looks like new. Left the split pulley on it hoping they would free the adjustment up on it. But I had to when I got it back.
Wow, that thing is made stout. Neat design on the adjustable pulley, indexed every third.

Can't wait to hear it roar !
Old 10-31-2017, 10:51 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1972
Engine: Cummins NH220
Hey Great Bus! I happen to have 1972 crown/Cummins 220 myself. Had to redo the entire cooling system (including custom made radiator) but otherwise roaring!

Would you happen to have a wiring diagram by any chance. I m starting to work on the electric system and it would really help!
hanaiapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:41 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanaiapa View Post
Would you happen to have a wiring diagram by any chance. I m starting to work on the electric system and it would really help!
Sorry, no wiring diagram at all. I know about half of it is not needed except for the school bus regulations.
Got my windshield frame all cleaned up ready for paint if the sun comes out Thursday. Probably install the water pump and fuel pump this weekend if I get time. Also looking for a air ride seat out of a semi truck. Has to have arm rest and tall back/head rest. Need to measure them and be sure the seat is tall enough. Not sure if they used different heights in different trucks or not.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:33 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Got the water pump installed today. Heavy sucker to hold up there and get all the bolts in without messing up the gasket!

Old 11-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

I also got the windshields installed. The old rubber was hard, but got it done.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:27 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Started it up today!!! Had a small water leak and had to set the idle. @ videos.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

I opened up a bunch of videos on my YouTube channel. So check it out. Remember I am just starting.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Well since last post the running gear is all 100% now. Painted the whole bus. Special Diccor roof paint and two toned the lower part brown. Turned out fairly good. Working on taking the couch and converting it into a big tool box. Have a lower and upper snap on boxes and some smaller ones all being hooked together into a big tool box.

Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0333.jpg  
Old 09-11-2018, 08:03 PM   #37
Skoolie

Year: 1954
Coachwork: crown
Engine: 220 cummins turbo
I have called pats number and goes to a weird message center and can not leave a message and the second number is wrong number. Anyone have a updated contact for this guy with all his crown parts.
Thanks
50 crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Had a few guys ask me where I got the water pump repaired. Since you can not buy them new anymore I figured $200.00 was not bad to have one completly rebuilt with a sealed bearing that requires no grease (so take off the grease fitting) Making a new gasket is no problem. Here is a link to the folks in San Diego.

A.e.s Automotive Exchange Supply - Auto Mechanic Shops, Car Repair
Old 03-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Oh yea. Since November I have put over 8,000 miles on the bus. The only breakdown I had was a air line that blew out and I had to replace it. Cost about 5 bucks for the hose. And non emergency was a slow leak in the foot valve for the brakes. Fixed that with a new one that cost 45 bucks. Averaged 11 miles per gallon on diesel fuel.
And if anyone out here knows where exactly the mark is for adjusting the valves and injectors are on the front gear case let me know. I know where the 3 marks are on the damper crankshaft pulley. "1-6 VS / 2-5 VS / 3-4 VS. But can not find the mark on the front gear cover for the Cummins NHH 220 engine. On the Cummins NHH 220 pancake (horizontal) engine there is no accessory drive pulley that usually has the marks like on a verticle (normal) Cummins engine
Old 03-08-2019, 09:08 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Quote:
Had a few guys ask me where I got the water pump repaired. Since you can not buy them new anymore I figured $200.00 was not bad to have one completly rebuilt with a sealed bearing that requires no grease (so take off the grease fitting) Making a new gasket is no problem. Here is a link to the folks in San Diego.

A.e.s Automotive Exchange Supply - Auto Mechanic Shops, Car Repair
Thanks for the info. Do you or anyone else know of any other places that have parts for, or specialize in these pancake Cummins? I am on the verge of buying a really cool vintage Crown Coach, but the lack of parts for and general knowledge of these 60 year old engines is making me nervous as hell.

Btw, got any updates on that bus of yours?
Willie_McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote