Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #1

Question Cummins 8.9L with 458,048 Miles

I'm looking for a good conversion host vehicle and found a 2001 BB with the Allison B300.This engine has got some wear on it. Owner says it was rebuilt 80k ago; however there no documentation. Considering the rest of the bus is perfect for my needs (if not a bit short at 30 ft.), I'd consider doing a rebuild..or just living with it. What do you think by the looks of it?
Attached Thumbnails
8532383568096402264-account_id=1.jpg   6949063854591242128-account_id=1.jpg  

unhoudini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhoudini View Post
I'm looking for a good conversion host vehicle and found a 2001 BB with the Allison B300.This engine has got some wear on it. Owner says it was rebuilt 80k ago; however there no documentation. Considering the rest of the bus is perfect for my needs (if not a bit short at 30 ft.), I'd consider doing a rebuild..or just living with it. What do you think by the looks of it?
Sure would be easy to change the belts.

How much ? Tires? looks Western. How does it sound/smoke when started cold? How did it drive?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:35 PM   #3

RE: Status

Yep - it's Californian and had a prior life in commercial transit of sorts. Asking price is 8K. Tires - unknown, and starting, also unknown. I;m kinda far from this one. Here is the original posting, I spoke the owner today:

Bluebird Bus 35 (Rated) passenger 2001 Chairlift, Cummins Diesel, Alison Trans | eBay
unhoudini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:57 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
It quite possibly had an inframe done. Take a close look at the cylinder head to block joint, head bolts, and oil pan joint. If it looks like they have been disturbed, it might have been rebuilt.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #5
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird90 View Post
It quite possibly had an inframe done. Take a close look at the cylinder head to block joint, head bolts, and oil pan joint. If it looks like they have been disturbed, it might have been rebuilt.
But when??? Has weeds growing in the bay. Ginormous compressor for a/c.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:18 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I think that looks like a $2500 bus. $5000 on a really good day.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:26 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
But when??? Has weeds growing in the bay. Ginormous compressor for a/c.

that single compressor takes place of the dual compressors that wouldve been common on a bus that size with normal TransAir units.. those compressors are actually repairable and rebuildable and designed for continuous use.. the downside is that if you want to remoe one of the interior units and keep the other, you cant do it. those compressors like to have the condensors and evaporators sized exactly and are prone to slugging if you mess with the rest of the system.

its a standard compressor used in Transit busses.. I see them on New flyer and Gillig busses all the time. it wouldve been a complete factory AC install whereas most school busses ordered with "factory A/C" are sent out to a 3rd party when the bus is nearly or fully finished to be outfitted with A/C {Bluebird uses Trans/AIR mostly}.

also 8.9 litre isnt as common as the 8.3, but that bus is probably a good runner. the transit windows are usually nicer than skoolie windows..

the price is a bit high to me and I would consider it only if you plan to utilize some of its special features..

1. - if the engine has really been rebuilt thats a plus. as rusty mentioned, look for evidence that its been apart. is the head gasket edge look newer than the metal? evidence of newer seals and such. id expect no oil leaks or such from an 80k in-frame motor.

2. what about the transmission? 450k is a lot on a transit transmission. allison B series are tough and rugged but clutch packs wear during shifts through normal usage and thats a lot.

3. A/C - if you plan to take out the coach A/C then I would sooner look for a less expensive bus that doesnt have it.. the seller listed it in his listing so the price is higher because of it.

4. transit windows - if you are planning to rip all the windows out and skin over / replace then I wouldnt pay a premium for a bus that has better than skoolie windows.. again id look for a less expensive..

5. rear gears - if it was a transit bus is it capable of making highway trips if you want it to. that 8.9 doesnt have a high redline. 2200 RPM is about all you will get. (you mentioned 8.9 in your post, listing says 8.3 which can get 2400 RPM)

perhaps the going rate for RE cummins / allison busses is 8K? someone else can chime in but it seems high to me

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #8
Bus Nut

That is a lot of miles for the money. The Whole bus has 485k on it. That is too much wear and way over priced.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Have to concur...way too much money for that rig. All those miles apply to everything on it.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8.9, bluebird, cummins