Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC/2000 RE 3904
Engine: 8.3L Cummins Diesel Allison MD3060
Cummins codes vs Allison?

I’m driving a 1997 Bluebird TC2000 with the 8.3L Cummins, MD3060 Allison, and I used the Allison automatic selector to read the following codes:

#3500: POWER INTERRUPTION
&
# 3414: EPROM POWER OFF BLOCK CHECKSUM

First fault: I think braking hard downhill caused the power interruption (2 separate ENG WRNG alerts at same hard-brake input), might be a short somewhere, but if anyone suspects different I’d love to hear it?
Second fault: what does code 3414 mean for my bus?

My big question is: is there a separate way to read codes from my engine or are these codes on transmission shifter for entire drivetrain on this pre-2007 bus?
I’ve looked everywhere for a 6 or 9 pin connector, engine compartment, drivers area, etc. and come up empty.
So does anyone know how to read codes off the engine or am I making that up?

Additionally, why isn’t there any info on this ENG WRNG light?
Am I really one of only 2 people in Skoolie.net history with questions about it?
Does the SES light also mean “check codes” as I’m assuming the ENG WRNG light indicates?
Attached Thumbnails
B54BEA51-5982-4B18-B258-1A7615DB5880.jpg  

smithcredibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Anyone? Bueller?

ENG WRNG light
What does it mean

Found code port and will get codes read Monday
Old 07-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
The Engine warning light typically means the engine computer found an fault in the system. You need to get the code from the ECU. Do you have a SES light in your bus, also?

# 3414: EPROM POWER OFF BLOCK CHECKSUM
a checksum is a digital sum of: (a) a block of data, or (b) the digital representation of a program (which is really just another block of data). It is used to check the block of data for corruption errors. An EPROM is an Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory chip. It stores the program your computer uses, as well as any data the program needs to use to analyze the current conditions of your engine.
The computer reads the individual bytes in the block data, adds them up, and then checks the result against the checksum bytes (which are part of the data). If the result doesn't match the checksum, something changed and the block of memory can't be trusted.
This check is apparently done at power off. I would think this should be done at power on, but that might delay a quick start.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:52 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

No SES light.
Alarm just goes and goes.
I suspect pressure is dropping somewhere but from what I can tell ENG WRNG light is only indicative of Low Oil Pressure (<6psi, nope) or +210*F for 5+ seconds.
Temp gauge and oil pressure gauge work fine afaik.
Power up when key is turned on, values make sense, etc.
Removed coolant reservoir level sensor and jumped it, alarm just goes and goes.
I know power steering is spongy bc I burst I hose Saturday and replaced myself, refilled hydraulic fluid and been driving 200+ miles. Sometimes I have power steering, rarely I don’t, usually at slow speeds.
Alarm starts going only when at low RPMs (stop signs, idling at red light, etc) and has been turning off when driving again since I replaced hose.
Before I replaced hose (or even knew Hydraulic pressure was high enough to burst my SECOND hydraulic line in as many months) it was just alarming nonstop.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcredibus View Post
No SES light.
Alarm just goes and goes.
I suspect pressure is dropping somewhere but from what I can tell ENG WRNG light is only indicative of Low Oil Pressure (<6psi, nope) or +210*F for 5+ seconds.
Temp gauge and oil pressure gauge work fine afaik.
Power up when key is turned on, values make sense, etc.
Removed coolant reservoir level sensor and jumped it, alarm just goes and goes.
I know power steering is spongy bc I burst I hose Saturday and replaced myself, refilled hydraulic fluid and been driving 200+ miles. Sometimes I have power steering, rarely I don’t, usually at slow speeds.
Alarm starts going only when at low RPMs (stop signs, idling at red light, etc) and has been turning off when driving again since I replaced hose.
Before I replaced hose (or even knew Hydraulic pressure was high enough to burst my SECOND hydraulic line in as many months) it was just alarming nonstop.
Your problem may be with your power steering circuit. Does your engine cooling fan run off a hydraulic motor? That motor is run off of your power steering pump. Low pressure from the power steering / fan hydraulics may be triggering an alarm.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:19 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

That’s actually what I’ve decided may be my issue.
Getting bubbles out of power steering line (41’ long!) has been a challenge.
Not sure if they’re all removed bc we’ve parked for the last 5 days to prep for painting.
I’m hopeful that I will find a bleed valve near the front or the inconsistencies with steering will resolve on their own with the alarm.

Tags
allison, bluebird, code, fault