Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Cummins Insite software. Is this legit?

Hey Everyone,

I was poking around to see what the Cummins Insite software would cost. I ran across this site and am really wondering if they are legit:

8.2.0 Cummins INSITE Software Pro Version with 500 times Limitation Support win7/win 8/win10

$69 for the Pro version that is limited to 500 uses.

Anyone have any idea if this is legit?

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Hey Everyone,

I was poking around to see what the Cummins Insite software would cost. I ran across this site and am really wondering if they are legit:

8.2.0 Cummins INSITE Software Pro Version with 500 times Limitation Support win7/win 8/win10

$69 for the Pro version that is limited to 500 uses.

Anyone have any idea if this is legit?
Reading through the customer reviews gave me some pause. It seems like everyone has trouble installing and activating the software, so the seller ends up setting it up for people by remotely accessing their computer with TeamViewer. I'm not generally a xenophobic person or Sinophobic person, in particular, but I think giving a foreign stranger remote access to your computer is a little risky.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
How about using a dedicated computer that is kept air-gapped after the installation/configuration via TeamViewer?
alpine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
There's no way it's legit. It'll come trojaned for sure. If you do go for it, at minimum install it in a virtual machine, but probably it's more convenient to just use a throw-away PC.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
there are versions of this around for free from more substantial sources... all I can say is you'll want ot run it in a Virtual machine thats not connected to the internet....
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
No,

The latest insite is version 8.5

That is version 8.2 so it it likely pirated and loaded with malware and viruses.

You can get exactly what you show there for free online if you find the right website.

mhhauto has most dealer software available hacked and able to be used for free. I've never downloaded or tried any of it though, we pay for the subscription and pass on the costs.
Booyah45828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
anything from mhhauto you will want to run on a virtual machine or ded-cated-use computer with the internet disconnected...

for an individual most arent going to buy what is sometimes a multi-1000 piece of software.. for shops its imperative to stay legit as they sell services using the software..

sometimes it does help and is reasonable to own the software.. I purchase a subscription to navistar because it allows me to download the latest firmware for ECM's / TCMs which isnt possible with any of the hacked software on mhhauto or any other site.. more and more these companies are employing the cloud for their latest versions... for older engines the older version of the software is likely fine.. most of the newer versions are for newer engines and newer calibrations for those engines.. once an engine is discontinued there is very little software update available for it from the manufacturer..

a 99 cummins is probably fine with 8.2 insite... a 2018 probably not.. ..

regardless of the software you get you also need the hardware device to talk to it... the Nexiq USBlink2 or clone.. if you want to experiment lots like i do then its probably worth buying the device.. if you simjply want your ECM programmed once and done.. you may very well be better off going to the dealer for an hour of shop time and having. it done...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
for shops its imperative to stay legit as they sell services using the software..
Precisely why we buy it.

Another thing people have to realize is they have to be somewhat familiar with the software and the technical lingo used in it in order to use it. Most people aren't.

Just to clarify. Insite lite is what most places have available pirated. That costs usually about 400 bucks for 3 years I believe. That subscription also comes with access to quickserve, which is their cloud based stuff. You can get on quickserve for free, but it doesn't have near the stuff that the subscription has available. Insite pro is what most shops and dealerships use, and it's something that your average joe isn't going to be able to purchase.

Lite will allow you to do most diagnostics and some modification of parameters.

Pro will let you do the lite stuff and most of the parameter modification, along with updating calibrations, calibrating new ecms, etc.
Booyah45828 is online now   Reply With Quote