Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #1

Year: 1968
Coachwork: Bluebird
Diesel conversion from gm gas to cummins...

Looking for anyone that has converted their skoolie from gas to diesel. Any pointers or suggestions?

I can seem to find a 5.9 cummins w/ Allison auto around fairly easily between old school busses and/or work trucks, that will be a couple grand. Has anyone paid to have someone convert, and could give me an idea of a price range for the bulk of the conversion work? I know it will vary by shops and mechanics, and who you can find to do it, but if anyone has done it and has some figures for me, I'd appreciate it!

Also, my bus is a flat nose, is there any problem with getting a skooile with a dog nose front and using that drivetrain?

Any other comments or pointers would be great!

jepopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Diesel conversion from gm gas to cummins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepopp
Looking for anyone that has converted their skoolie from gas to diesel. Any pointers or suggestions?

I can seem to find a 5.9 cummins w/ Allison auto around fairly easily between old school busses and/or work trucks, that will be a couple grand. Has anyone paid to have someone convert, and could give me an idea of a price range for the bulk of the conversion work? I know it will vary by shops and mechanics, and who you can find to do it, but if anyone has done it and has some figures for me, I'd appreciate it!

Also, my bus is a flat nose, is there any problem with getting a skooile with a dog nose front and using that drivetrain?

Any other comments or pointers would be great!
It would be best to start with a flat nose, or a pickup truck donor.

From a dog nose to a cabover will have different turbo mounting, brakes are plumbed using only one pump vs two, All front engine accessories are mounted at different heights, rad will be different, intercooler will not fit, ect.

I have one of each ripped open right now. My "Haul All" 92 Ford B700 and my 92 TC2000. I will take a bunch of pics and post them of the differences.

I did the swap in my 2004 F350 from a V10 to a 5.9 Cummins, it took me close to 75 hours of shop time, not counting rounding up parts. My second swap would take me half that time. A swap in a bus would take less time again, due to a ton more room.

If you can fab, and rig stuff up, you will be fine. The conversion will give you the opportunity to set things up the way you like and understand. Makes for better repairs in the future.

My B 700 electrical system is composed of modules. Bendex brake controller module, and one for the turn signals.

I would ditch all gauges that came with the bus, and go with mechanical gauges if in the budget.

It will be a lot of work, but still far less than any gas engine.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

I don't know where you are and all but this one pops up every time I search for a bus with tempest.
http://valdosta.craigslist.org/hvd/4301113904.html
Old 02-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

That engine came out of a pre 92.5 TC2000 flat nose bluebird. I can tell by the turbo, and alt, ect.

Looks like more than 161,000 miles, or poor maintenance.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote