Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2022, 05:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Diesel mechanic recommendation Seattle area

Looking for a mechanic to do routine maintenance on my Cummins 5.9 that's in the 1998 Bluebird I just bought. It runs fine with no known issues, but I'd like to get the oil changed, the fuel filter changed, coolant changed, transmission fluid checked/changed as well as any other stuff that should be done on a used vehicle where you don't know what's been done or when in recent years.

I'm in Tacoma, but the bus drives fine, so I can travel. Thanks.

Digcolnagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:02 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digcolnagos View Post
Looking for a mechanic to do routine maintenance on my Cummins 5.9 that's in the 1998 Bluebird I just bought. It runs fine with no known issues, but I'd like to get the oil changed, the fuel filter changed, coolant changed, transmission fluid checked/changed as well as any other stuff that should be done on a used vehicle where you don't know what's been done or when in recent years.

I'm in Tacoma, but the bus drives fine, so I can travel. Thanks.
I would also consider looking at or just replacing the lift pump too. The VP44 pump is very picky and common failure is pump computer overheating from a weak or worn lift pump. Also, running under 1/4 tank of fuel is no muy bueno either as it allows for overheating of the lift pump and Vp44.

I just spent 2 grand in parts alone due to this issue!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:12 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
I would also consider looking at or just replacing the lift pump too. The VP44 pump is very picky and common failure is pump computer overheating from a weak or worn lift pump. Also, running under 1/4 tank of fuel is no muy bueno either as it allows for overheating of the lift pump and Vp44.

I just spent 2 grand in parts alone due to this issue!
Many thanks. I'm brand-new to diesel motors and need all the help I can get. My bus came with a service manual, and the maintenance schedule is a bit intimidating, not just for the motor, but the air brakes, chassis, transmission, suspension, etc. Lotsa stuff to check out, so I'm looking for a trustworthy shop that can offer advice like you just did,
Old 08-14-2022, 08:41 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
digcolnagos

1998 is most likely a mechanical engine... does not have a vp44 pump.

your engine is pretty much the same as a 1994 -1998 dodge diesel cummins truck. commonly called "cummins 12 valve 5.9"

valve adjustments, lift pumps - mechanical - some thing called "killer dowel pin" KDP for short.

WHEEL bearings... If there are no records of wheel bearing inspections ... I would consider that to be a must do.

A lot of the stuff like oil changes and fluid checks can be done by the average person.

If you have some physical limitations - that is different.

You can find all of what you are looking for on You Tube University... dont settle for just one or two videos... wheel bearings... for example find BUS GREASE MONKEY you will find a lot of generic work about wheel bearings and fluids and filters and such... along with other stuff like wiper mechanisms.

call if you want to talk about doing this stuff yourself or not..

william 785 207 7600

I have worked on my own machines since the middle 1980's I do not have a lot of experience with finding a good mechanic... I am often the guy doing the work.
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:48 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post

your engine is pretty much the same as a 1994 -1998 dodge diesel cummins truck. commonly called "cummins 12 valve 5.9"

valve adjustments, lift pumps - mechanical - some thing called "killer dowel pin" KDP for short.
Yes, could be mechanical..50/50 chance. From my limited research and experience, I believe the 24 valve Cummins started to appear mid 1998 so I guess it depends on the actual build date.

I can say this from experience, I have a 1999 Thomas bus, the build date was in 1988…. Mine has the vp44…. And I still can’t figure out the dead pedal issue !
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:19 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

WHEEL bearings... If there are no records of wheel bearing inspections ... I would consider that to be a must do.

A lot of the stuff like oil changes and fluid checks can be done by the average person.

If you have some physical limitations - that is different.

You can find all of what you are looking for on You Tube University... dont settle for just one or two videos... wheel bearings... for example find BUS GREASE MONKEY you will find a lot of generic work about wheel bearings and fluids and filters and such... along with other stuff like wiper mechanisms.

call if you want to talk about doing this stuff yourself or not..

william 785 207 7600

I have worked on my own machines since the middle 1980's I do not have a lot of experience with finding a good mechanic... I am often the guy doing the work.
Thanks, William. I'll be giving a call tomorrow when it's not so late your time. Absolutely want to do as much work myself as I can.

Meantime, checked the VIN. It's a Cummins B6.7 (I'd wrongly assumed 5.9). Hoping that means no emissions stuff. Also, the production sequence number is 079297--not sure what that means.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:36 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digcolnagos View Post

Meantime, checked the VIN. It's a Cummins B6.7 (I'd wrongly assumed 5.9). Hoping that means no emissions stuff. Also, the production sequence number is 079297--not sure what that means.
I'd like to see a picture of this B6.7 in a '98 bus. Also what transmission does it have?
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:59 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Cummins 5.9 12v (P7100)

Cummins 5.9 24v

Cummins 6.7
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:12 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

I spoke to him

He has a 12 valve Cummins with Bosch in-line pump. And a Allison transmission with a push button shift pad.

William
Old 08-18-2022, 05:40 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
He has a 12 valve Cummins with Bosch in-line pump. And a Allison transmission with a push button shift pad.

William

Wow. What a combo to fall into..
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:49 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

On top of all that

I think it is one of the 26ft jobs. Government purchase, never had flashers or stop sign. I am pretty sure it was navy blue with white roof and white end cap. Very similar to mine. The fact his has, what I suspect is a 3000 series transmission, I also wonder if he has an air suspension. But we have not gotten that far yet.

William
Old 08-19-2022, 01:25 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

William was a HUGE help sorting out what I stumbled across. I'd post pictures, but the loaner laptop I'm using won't let me.

Found it on Offerup, three miles from my house. It had been for sale at least a week when I found it. Paid $9,000. It has 68,000 miles on it and is billed as 28 feet long (I haven't measured). It's already converted, with a flush toilet, stove, refrigerator and two beds. Plan on removing the back bed to make room for AC, shower and a hot water heater.
Old 08-20-2022, 03:26 PM   #13

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummings 5.9
I had the king pin replaced in a Tacoma truck shop (i forgot which ) on my 1996 Bluebird TC2000. We should do a bluebird meetup
peli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 11:14 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peli View Post
I had the king pin replaced in a Tacoma truck shop (i forgot which ) on my 1996 Bluebird TC2000. We should do a bluebird meetup
Down for a meet-up. If you're referring to KDP, I'm going to--cross fingers--delay that. The bus has low miles, I don't plan on driving it much for the next couple years--it will be a live-aboard--and a shower, AC and hot water are higher priorities with limited funds (hoping these aren't famous last words). William has me convinced I can handle wheel bearings, oil change and filter changes. We'll see.