Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2021, 11:49 AM   #61
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
That system has been working well for me. I'm thinking about adding an air conditioning compressor on the other spot next to the aux alternator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredForStereo View Post
I noticed this alternator setup in the Broccoli Bus video
on Youtube:

Though it might inspire some ideas.

aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:49 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
I have a second alternator on the "new Crown". With the Cummins big cam in my bus there were unused V belt pulley positions on the main pulley already used to drive the original alternator. My son modified the alternator mount to provide for side by side mounting of the alternators, with staggered mounting, thus allowing the second alternator to be driven from the next two pulleys. It is easy to get to and get good airflow to keep them cool. The second alternator is rated for 250 amps.

The bus has a 65 amp RV charger and will have solar to also keep up the batteries. The bus electrical is kept separate to assure that RV needs never make the buys batteries dead.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:59 AM   #63

Year: 1988
Engine: Cummins 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by flattracker View Post
I have a second alternator on the "new Crown". With the Cummins big cam in my bus there were unused V belt pulley positions on the main pulley already used to drive the original alternator. My son modified the alternator mount to provide for side by side mounting of the alternators, with staggered mounting, thus allowing the second alternator to be driven from the next two pulleys. It is easy to get to and get good airflow to keep them cool. The second alternator is rated for 250 amps.

The bus has a 65 amp RV charger and will have solar to also keep up the batteries. The bus electrical is kept separate to assure that RV needs never make the buys batteries dead.
Do you have a picture of your setup? Where did you buy your second alternator? I'm interested in doing the same thing on my crown. Thanks!
Gipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:15 PM   #64
Bus Nut

second alternator on Crown with Cummins Engine

Attached is a picture of the "new Crown" with the second alternator added. I went on eBay and found the second alternator. I will look through my old eBay purchases to see if can find the transaction to get the specific info about the alternator. My son modified the mount for me. This consisted of cutting through the mount where the long bolt fastened the original alternator to the mount. Make sure the pulleys line up between the engine and alternator.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_7197.jpg  
Old 01-17-2022, 08:50 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Dual alternators in a Crown

I found some more pictures of the modified mounts to support dual alternators on my "new Crown":
1) closeup detail of both alternators mounted together.
2) overall view of both alternators mounted together.
3) another detail of both alternators together.
4) overall view of the engine with both alternators installed.

If you zoom in close on the 4th picture of the engine it can be seen how the lower alternator is spaced with the upper one.

The mounting ears are the same spacing and thickness as can be seen in the fifth picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Message951588133823620.jpg   Message_1588133735888.jpg   Message_1588133792065.jpg   DSC_7137.jpg   20191011_142056.jpg  

Old 01-18-2022, 10:33 AM   #66

Year: 1988
Engine: Cummins 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by flattracker View Post
Attached is a picture of the "new Crown" with the second alternator added. I went on eBay and found the second alternator. I will look through my old eBay purchases to see if can find the transaction to get the specific info about the alternator. My son modified the mount for me. This consisted of cutting through the mount where the long bolt fastened the original alternator to the mount. Make sure the pulleys line up between the engine and alternator.
Awesome! Thanks.
Gipsy is offline   Reply With Quote