Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 10:59 PM   #41
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
The information I keep finding is on Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

cumminsforum.com

thedieselstop.com

Dual Alternator Kits - National Alternators

https://www.nationsstarteralternator...Kits-s/209.htm

You've probably seen these because they're so easy to find.

I'd start with making a custom bracket and setting up a belt, but I have no idea about the wiring.

Is this a safer method than trying to use the single alternator to charge house batteries?
Still they do not have brackets for 6.5L chevy diesel......sad...

pepepito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:01 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Edited too soon. Back in a sec.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:09 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Grrrrr, did it again.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #44
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Here are a couple of engine compartment pics:
Same as mine or it looks that way. There is an L bracket that mounts the OEM alt in place. Buy one of those, flip it upside down and weld it to the existing one. and mount the second alt to it. A longer serpentine belt would be needed but no additional pulleys would be needed. So long as the belt is at a 90° angle going across the pulley it'll be fine.

Quote:
This will be interesting, and I'd say you've got more than a couple people wanting to copy this process.
Besides Steve, who's looking? I took pics (no measurements) but on my bus I think it would be super easy to do. I might just do it even tho I'm not remotely close to needing it myself. I don't know what the bracket costs... can't be more than $10 I would think. The second alt to make sure everything is aligned right would be the tricky part. There were NO flat nose buses in the junkyard. I've no idea if the alt's are different or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
you can get another pully to drive the alt like they do for ac. less stress on the existing belt. you will need to have a mount fabbed up but wont be too pricey.
I don't think another pulley is needed. Put the 2nd alt right next to the first. Route the belt around both but follow the rest of the routing as is.

Quote:
I like the redundancy theory of using two common inexpensive alternators that could easily be replaced while in a foreign country, like Kanada.
Or Mississippi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
DUB cars with 5000 watt plus sound systems are often outfitted with lots of alternators and batteries
-Christopher
Those guys need to be lined up and shot. If you're going to waste that kind of money, you should just give it to me instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead pirate View Post
I run it through a 30 amp controller
30A controller? Um, how is a 30A controller going to control a 160A alt? I've no idea what the starter draws nor what dead house batteries would draw but 30A in the 12V DC world ain't all that much.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:09 AM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: myself
Chassis: amtran
Engine: international dt466e allison md 3060
Rated Cap: 13 ton or so says the tit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Same as mine or it looks that way. There is an L bracket that mounts the OEM alt in place. Buy one of those, flip it upside down and weld it to the existing one. and mount the second alt to it. A longer serpentine belt would be needed but no additional pulleys would be needed. So long as the belt is at a 90° angle going across the pulley it'll be fine.

Besides Steve, who's looking? I took pics (no measurements) but on my bus I think it would be super easy to do. I might just do it even tho I'm not remotely close to needing it myself. I don't know what the bracket costs... can't be more than $10 I would think. The second alt to make sure everything is aligned right would be the tricky part. There were NO flat nose buses in the junkyard. I've no idea if the alt's are different or not.

I don't think another pulley is needed. Put the 2nd alt right next to the first. Route the belt around both but follow the rest of the routing as is.

Or Mississippi.

Those guys need to be lined up and shot. If you're going to waste that kind of money, you should just give it to me instead.

30A controller? Um, how is a 30A controller going to control a 160A alt? I've no idea what the starter draws nor what dead house batteries would draw but 30A in the 12V DC world ain't all that much.
I run the solar battery bank through a 30 amp controller.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
Dead pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:06 AM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
You could have the alternator charging the vehicle battery. Then piggy back the charge controller off the vehicle battery so that it will charge it at the proper rate. Then have some sort of solenoid switch to keep them disconnected when the engine isn't running. That's how I would do it.

If you're using 24v house batteries. It's different.

I like the idea of having a 24v alternator and using that to specifically charge the house batteries. But I'm not sure how you could get it to regulate properly so as to not burn up the batteries by charging too rapidly, or burn up the alternator with too much of a load. It's possible though by monitoring charge level, amp load, and voltage and adjusting the field strength to keep it ideal. Just not sure if something exists in the aftermarket to do such a thing.

Could you mount the charge controller between the alternator and the batteries. Have the alternator put out 24v to the controller then have the controller throttle it to get what you desire. Will the controller take the kind of abuse in that situation or does it need a constant steady voltage? Would the alternator handle that kind of system?
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #47
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: myself
Chassis: amtran
Engine: international dt466e allison md 3060
Rated Cap: 13 ton or so says the tit
I like the idea of the piggy back between the bus battery and the charge controller. I wonder if there is a controller to regulate the charging and voltage.
Its a 12v system.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
Dead pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #48
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
You could have the alternator charging the vehicle battery. Then piggy back the charge controller off the vehicle battery so that it will charge it at the proper rate. Then have some sort of solenoid switch to keep them disconnected when the engine isn't running. That's how I would do it.
I've been a proponent of this method for some time. It does a great job maintaining the battery in my electric-hydraulic dump trailer.

IMHO it's important to select a charger that is capable of boost mode operation. A buck or PWM design (ie, step-down only) would at best reach an output voltage 0.2 volts lower than what's presented at its input. If the alternator settles to 13.5-13.8 volts then the house battery being charged to 0.2 or more volts below that may not be able to reach 100% state of charge. A combination buck-boost charger could ensure the battery gets what it needs regardless of input voltage.

So long as you're looking for a buck-boost charger there's no reason one couldn't take nominal 12 volts in and make ~27 volts out for charging a 24 volt bank. I know voltage converters from 12 to 24 and 24 to 12 are common. If you could find one with an adjustable output voltage that didn't completely shut down in an over-current situation (ie depleted house battery) it would make a fine 2-stage charger. That's exactly what I use on my dump trailer: it's marketed as a "power supply" but its design makes it well-adapted for charging a battery.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:13 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Thanks Brewer Bob.

I am going to look closer at that and see if I can make it play.

Family Wagon, I think that you missed that my existing alternator is 12v and my house bank is 24v.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #50
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thanks Brewer Bob.

I am going to look closer at that and see if I can make it play.
Any updates yet? I'll be at the bus today if you need better photos of mine or anything.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Any updates yet? I'll be at the bus today if you need better photos of mine or anything.
Sorry, life got in the way. I have been extremely busy and got distracted. Now I am 300 miles away form the bus. I will check when I get back to the bus. It will be a week or two.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #52
Bus Geek

Quote:
Sorry, life got in the way.
I've never had that happen. I'm not that far from the bus and still need to spend more time on it.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Interesting reading, I would like to just throw this out there because if someone is running a second alternator just to charge house batteries there are going to be issues topping the batteries off I.e. It will never happen. You could look at one of these if you are running deep cycle batteries that will make better use of and make the batteries last longer. This box will control 'bulk' 'absorption' and 'float' stages of charging just like a good mppt solar charger. It should mean less engine starts when boon docking...

Balmar Digital Duo Charge

Also if someone has a good sketch of a bracket for a popular engine / alternator setup I have the facilities to make them. And they would be much cheaper than the kits mentioned earlier. Good luck.
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:38 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
Interesting reading, I would like to just throw this out there because if someone is running a second alternator just to charge house batteries there are going to be issues topping the batteries off I.e. It will never happen. You could look at one of these if you are running deep cycle batteries that will make better use of and make the batteries last longer. This box will control 'bulk' 'absorption' and 'float' stages of charging just like a good mppt solar charger. It should mean less engine starts when boon docking...

Balmar Digital Duo Charge

Also if someone has a good sketch of a bracket for a popular engine / alternator setup I have the facilities to make them. And they would be much cheaper than the kits mentioned earlier. Good luck.
I will have solar to top the batteries off. I am planning on 1000-1600 watts of solar.

If it comes to having to fabricate a bracket I will certainly be talking to you.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2019, 04:33 PM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Year: TBA
Coachwork: TBA
Chassis: TBA
Engine: TBA
Rated Cap: TBA
Quote:
I will have solar to top the batteries off. I am planning on 1000-1600 watts of solar.

If it comes to having to fabricate a bracket I will certainly be talking to you.

Thanks
Just curious if this ever got done and what it looks like. I plan on running a 48V solar array, so the thought of running a 48V alternator alongside a 12V alternator is very appealing to me.
TimN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #56
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimN View Post
Just curious if this ever got done and what it looks like. I plan on running a 48V solar array, so the thought of running a 48V alternator alongside a 12V alternator is very appealing to me.
No progress yet.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:35 PM   #57

Year: 2001
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Just reading through this thread. Anyone with any updates or progress. I'm designing, installing my house electrical system now. going with 24v. Is a second alternator charging at 24v just a myth or is it really possible for a 2001 International Amtran RE DT466? Thanks.
makaufmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:35 PM   #58
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
A second alternator *is* possible, at any voltage you desire. You just have to find the alternator (and appropriate regulator), mounting bracket, proper length of belt to drive it, cabling to the batteries, batteries, and the place in the engine compartment that the bracket and alternator will fit.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:32 AM   #59
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if you arent into fabrication there are companies which make bracket kits for this very purpose.. dual alternators are a common item on ambulance chassis of which many were built on medium duty truck frames similar to school busses.. I have seen them built on IH 4xxx, and freightliner FL series chassis.. these would be similar in engine and space to the school bus chassis.. Bracketry systems, red-dot, and AP-air are companies that often make brackets for A/C's but ive also seen auxilliary alternator bracket kits in their listings as well..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:08 PM   #60
Traveling

I noticed this alternator setup in the Broccoli Bus video on Youtube:

Though it might inspire some ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery charging alternator option.jpg  
WiredForStereo is offline   Reply With Quote