Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2024, 05:00 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
EGT range

Hi all
I'm thinking about adding an egt guage to my 5.9 6v
What temperature range am I looking for? There's a lot of options.
Thanks

Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 07:55 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
mine caps out about 1500; i try and keep the number under 1000
Old 02-17-2024, 02:41 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
max safe number

the exhaust valve is the fragile point, then maybe the top of the piston.

piston engines in aircraft the exhaust is 1275* so think 1250* as a never to exceed number.

I like to see 900* during steady state cruise.

the burning exhaust when the valve opens is where the heat comes from. moving the timing from 11-12 degrees before top dead center to 17-18 degrees before top dead center really wakes up the cummins 5.9 12 valve diesel. I would set 3000 rpm as your upper limit.

17-18 degrees will add stress to the head gasket. If you change timing, and all the other "little" fuel modifications, I would recommend, doing valve springs, head studs, valve stem seals, springs timing all in one go. there are lots of you tube videos and truck places that can do the work if you dont want to.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 05:54 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
Your first order of business is verifying the KPD kit has been installed. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/kil...in-587736.html

Ordered a K27 turbo yesterday from the fine folks at https://powerdrivendiesel.com/

Super knowledgeable sales/technical staff.

For a 5.9 12V 1250• continuous is fine. Baron from PDD says on a dyno pull they might see 1800•.

I'm doing the turbo swap because after a timing bump, 3k gsk kit, retourqued heads, pinching the wastegate line and removing the fuel plate I can get 1450• egt and would like to be able to mat the throttle and not worry about the egts.

From my experiments with a #10 fuel plate, egts were never a concern.

Apparently the industrial skoolie engine has a 160hp p-pump, so with stock injectors and even a much more aggressive fuel plate you're well safe.

The first drivability mod - A545 to A2000 was tremendous, for sure. But removing the fuel plate iced the cake, if you will. I can now pass most of the semis on the interstate, given enough real estate to get wound up. Hopefully the K-27 drops my egts a bit, but PDD makes an AFC live tuner for on-the-fly fuel and air tuning, so you can back fuel delivery down to control the egts.

I agree with the 12 valve haters that a stock skoolie 5.9 is totally lame-o. It doesn't have to stay that way at all. With very little $ your 5.9 will go from zero to hero and you'll be thrilled with what that engine can do.
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 08:07 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

excessive egt's has been one of my big problems.
i'm no expert or have any particular wisdom on the subject, i only know what seems to happen to me.

for me, its not uncommon to glance down at the egt gauge, and see the thing is pegged, 1500 and beyond. when that happens, i lift my foot, and the temps go down.
i think, long slow uphill grades seem to be the worst. rolling hills are no problem. uphills that last longer than...10 minutes? get me into danger temps.
i live about 3000' in elevation, Denver is about 150 miles away at 6000', then the mountains areas to camp... another 150 miles around 8 or 9000'. mountain passes are around 11,000. if i drive with an eye in the egt gauge, its a slow drive, no lead footing.

i put the egt gauge in when i replaced the exhaust manifold i cracked on the way to the mountains, a few years ago. its amazing how hot it gets.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:20 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
excessive egt's has been one of my big problems.
i'm no expert or have any particular wisdom on the subject, i only know what seems to happen to me.

for me, its not uncommon to glance down at the egt gauge, and see the thing is pegged, 1500 and beyond. when that happens, i lift my foot, and the temps go down.
i think, long slow uphill grades seem to be the worst. rolling hills are no problem. uphills that last longer than...10 minutes? get me into danger temps.
i live about 3000' in elevation, Denver is about 150 miles away at 6000', then the mountains areas to camp... another 150 miles around 8 or 9000'. mountain passes are around 11,000. if i drive with an eye in the egt gauge, its a slow drive, no lead footing.

i put the egt gauge in when i replaced the exhaust manifold i cracked on the way to the mountains, a few years ago. its amazing how hot it gets.
What's your boost reading?

I was getting max boost of 15 and high egts. PDD guys recommended pinching the wastegate reference line off or physically wiring the wastegate shut. https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...0&gad_source=1

Boost jumped to 22 and egts dropped way down with the #10 plate.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:50 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

these days i'm running 12-15 psi boost.

i rebuilt the turbo when i put on the new exhaust manifold, but the parts i ordered, in hindsight, werent right, and i think the turbo has been the source of an airleak since i replaced it.

my oil analysis show an air leak, i've never been able to locate.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:57 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
these days i'm running 12-15 psi boost.

i rebuilt the turbo when i put on the new exhaust manifold, but the parts i ordered, in hindsight, werent right, and i think the turbo has been the source of an airleak since i replaced it.

my oil analysis show an air leak, i've never been able to locate.
Pinch the reference line off with vise grips and wheel it around the block. I didn't believe it would work but I do now.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:06 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

a couple of years later, from the same event as rebuilding my turbo, i tracked down the waste gate as a problem. i had misadjusted the lever when i re-assembled it and the wastegate was mostly open. the passenger seat floor used to really cook.

i figured that mess out and got the wastegate actuator opening later. last year, i got 20 lb springs to mod it. but i still have the spring, i think i disconnected the reference line like you mentioned instead.

i'll have to crawl under and look again, i dont recall.

the rotating assembly on the rebuild kit was a mm or so smaller than what i took out. i think thats my air leak
Old 02-18-2024, 04:44 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
the exhaust valve is the fragile point, then maybe the top of the piston.

piston engines in aircraft the exhaust is 1275* so think 1250* as a never to exceed number.

I like to see 900* during steady state cruise.

the burning exhaust when the valve opens is where the heat comes from. moving the timing from 11-12 degrees before top dead center to 17-18 degrees before top dead center really wakes up the cummins 5.9 12 valve diesel. I would set 3000 rpm as your upper limit.

17-18 degrees will add stress to the head gasket. If you change timing, and all the other "little" fuel modifications, I would recommend, doing valve springs, head studs, valve stem seals, springs timing all in one go. there are lots of you tube videos and truck places that can do the work if you dont want to.

william
That's a lot of good information there William, thanks
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:26 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im using a sportcomp II EGT gauge and have been happy with it.. tops out at 1600 i think.. im running it on my 7.3 so as soon as i hit 1200 I habve it set to turn on the red light and trigger a downshift on my tranny if im lugging it.. I dont like to run over 1200 at all.. most of these engines do have piston squirters so you pistons likely arent going to melt for a short about over 1250 but still not something I enjoy doing
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote