Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 06:30 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1999
Chassis: MVP RE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Electrical or mechanical

Well I just had my oil pressure sensor replaced. Same problem, no change. The oil pressure gauge reads about 95-98 psi. The repair shop did not try to figure out the problem. One mechanic made a silly comment that high pressure is always good. Anyway, what could be the problem? I'm sure a manual pressure gauge would be the best way to know what the true pressure is but why is the new pressure sensor reading too high too? This is a 1999 5.9, 24 valve.

budbud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:44 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Hot or cold?

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Are you sure the new sensor is reading that way? Are you sure your oil pressure isn't that high? Are you sure the gauge isn't what is faulty?

How did you talk to the shop when you dropped it off?

If you asked them to diagnose and fix the high oil pressure reading, then this is still on them, and whatever tech that did the repair didn't do his job.

If you told them to replace the oil pressure sender, then that's what they did and it not working is on you.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
high pressure

to diagnose oil pressure problem the first step would be to install mechanical test gage. start engine cold, run engine to bring oil up to operating temperature, normally around 200 degrees Fahrenheit, some times a little higher. oil pressure at idle, 1500 rpm or so and maybe 2500 rpm are then recorded. Based on information at this point, judgement is made. It is possible there is a stuck oil pressure relief valve. It is possible the oil is too thick. It is possible the there is a problem with the wires between the gage and the sending unit, it is possible the gauge is faulty. it is possible the sending unit is faulty. It is possible there is an obstruction in an oil gallery. It is possible there is more than one problem.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1999
Chassis: MVP RE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
The gauge reading is about the same hot or cold. When I first noticed it about 2 years ago it would read about 85-90 cold then when hot about 95. Now it reads about 95 cold and about 98 hot.

I guess it was my fault by not making it clear with the repair shop to fix the problem. I had ordered the sensor and told him what the symptoms were. And he just installed the switch.

One of the mechanics said that perhaps the computer needs to be reflashed. Perhaps they just saw me coming with that clueless look on my face.

It could be a bad new sensor but as was stated it would need to be tested. Can anyone tell me if the oil pump will actually produce that amount of oil pressure?
budbud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by budbud7 View Post
I guess it was my fault by not making it clear with the repair shop to fix the problem. I had ordered the sensor and told him what the symptoms were. And he just installed the switch.
Yeah, if you provided the part and told them to change it, I doubt they did any troubleshooting to verify if that was actually the problem.

Quote:
One of the mechanics said that perhaps the computer needs to be reflashed. Perhaps they just saw me coming with that clueless look on my face.
The computer might need to be reflashed or updated, but I doubt that is the cause or solution to your problem.

Quote:
It could be a bad new sensor but as was stated it would need to be tested. Can anyone tell me if the oil pump will actually produce that amount of oil pressure?
There is a lot that it could be. You could have a mechanical failure causing the pressure relief to stick closed. That would peg a gauge quickly, but it's unlikely that's what is happening. Every time that I've seen that happen, they blew the seal out on the oil filter as well.

First thing to do is to check with a known good gauge to see what the oil pressure actually is vs what the dash gauge is reporting. If those two numbers are off, then you check the sending unit for the correct signal being sent. If all of that is okay, then you check for the same signal at the gauge connection. If that checks out, and the gauge has the proper power and ground supplied to it, then the gauge is at fault.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote