Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24V
Electromagnetic Clutch Fan Temp sensor

After a new radiator and purging all air from the system a few times the engine was still getting hot. Noticed the fan does not engage after 205 degs. Two cables go to the magnet clutch on the fan. On2 is a ground wire and the other supplies 12V. When applying 12V directly to the power wire the fan will engage so it is not a clutch problem.

There are 3 temp probes / switches on the head. The one on the exhaust side closest to the radiator has two leads and is used for the temp gauge on the dash. The one behind one has one lead and I don't know what it is for. Anyone know? The one on the intake side of the engine gets a 5V signal and from what I've been reading this should be the sensor that tells the ECU to engage the fan which then sends 12V power to the electromagnetic clutch. I measured and it does get 5V. When I bridge it however, the fan will not engage.

Is this an ECU malfunction? What else can I do outside of using a manual switch to activate the clutch?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0217.jpg   IMG_0216.jpg   IMG_0215.jpg  

Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the single lead may be for the engine temp alarm.. or is it possible that one is your fan clutch?

the ECU one is a 0-5 volt signal, shorting it out really does nothing other than make the computer throw a code.. its not a switch its a resistance sensor..

im not sure on that bus how it works.. there is likely a relay smeplace that the ECU calls for which in turn engages the clutch

is there a popped fuse some place? its unusual to see the computer supply 12 volts.. usually the 12 votlts is already there and the computer supplies groud.. however again im not familiar with your chassis
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Message Me a picture of you fan clutch I can help you
AlexLasVegasBusSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the single lead may be for the engine temp alarm.. or is it possible that one is your fan clutch?

the ECU one is a 0-5 volt signal, shorting it out really does nothing other than make the computer throw a code.. its not a switch its a resistance sensor..

im not sure on that bus how it works.. there is likely a relay smeplace that the ECU calls for which in turn engages the clutch

is there a popped fuse some place? its unusual to see the computer supply 12 volts.. usually the 12 votlts is already there and the computer supplies groud.. however again im not familiar with your chassis
I will try to find the relay.
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:39 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLasVegasBusSales View Post
Message Me a picture of you fan clutch I can help you
Thanks. Here you go.