Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2020, 09:05 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Engine bay layout questions

The fresh air intake on my RE 8.3 runs up through the wall on the drivers side, with the inlet high up towards the top on the outside of the wall. I get that idea because the radiator is low on the same side. I have seen others that do the same but on the passengers wall. Same bus, same year, same engine. What's the purpose of that? My air filter is a PITA to remove because of where it's located. The engine bay on the passengers side has plenty of space for me to re route the intake over to that side and have it pull the air in lower through the screen on the access door on that side. Is there some fatal flaw in doing it this way? Some reason they designed the air inlet 8 feet off the ground?

Next question; All the RE I have noticed, which really isn't many since I'm new to this game, have the exhaust pipe coming out through the bumper. Any reason why I cant put a down turn on the tail pipe to aim it at the ground rather than spitting the exhaust out the back all over my pretty Charger that I will be towing on a trailer?

JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
I don't know about driver's side versus passenger/curb side but it is high to reduce air pollutants finding their way into the air intake.

I see no reason you can't redirect the exhaust because I think the main reason for the through bumper configuration is to reduce risk of crushing the end on a curb or something.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Turtle Top
Chassis: E-Super Duty
Engine: Ford 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 13-passenger
they put it up high so they can use the least restrictive air cleaner possible. EGTs and stuff.

it crosses my mind that many times a year school busses are forced to ford water in flood zones. it would be cool if this "snorkel" design was inspired by that, but it was just to avoid particulates.

and as sehnsucht said, modifying exhaust is fine. my bus has a turndown tip on it. Just make sure the exhaust gasses aren't getting trapped under the bus when idling.
sproutroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Thanks guys, both answers are what I figured were the right answer. I can properly manipulate the ingress and egress to suit my needs and remain safe and effective.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote