Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ER Transit
Engine: ISC
Getting the new bus home- swapping injectors myself?

Good morning! As of an hour ago, I'm the proud new owner of an '01 Thomas ER Transit with an ISL. My first order of business is getting her home to New Jersey from Utica, Mississippi. She smokes but runs, the shop mechanic is confident its a bad injector. I'm inclined to believe him, at least enough to be prepared to swap injectors if I get there and determine it really is the issue.

(https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...80&acctid=8504)

My plan is essentially this: Hop on a plane with a new set of injectors and any special tools, limp the bus to the nearest harbor freight, then swap them right there in the parking lot. I figure I can run inside to buy tools as necessary. If I get really stuck, I'll line up a mobile mechanic ahead of time I can call to lend a hand.

Is an injector job really all that bad? Its hard to find guides on the ISL specifically, so I figured the 24v 5.9 with the VP44 should be the next closest thing configuration-wise. I watched a few videos on that motor, it doesn't seem too bad.

How terrible of a plan is this?

Jaybz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:13 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Congrats on the purchase. I was thinking about that one myself. I could be wrong, but I don’t think this is an ISL, more likely a 5.9 ISB or 8.3 ISC. Neither share much in common with their fuel systems as far as I know. Not sure which 5.9 would be in an '01, but the 24-valve ISB is known for its fickle injection system and its common issues?

Be aware, diesel fuel is carcinogenic and not to be taken lightly. Honestly not something I'd recommend for a newbie, especially without diesel repair experience. Nor would I recommend driving a diesel with a fueling issue, especially long-distance.

I'm also not sure how well swapping diesel fuel injectors in a parking lot is going to go over. And what if it turns out to be more than injectors? The ISC is well known for issues with its accumulator pump system -- most of which can be remedied with a few simple tweaks, but usually are done after the pump has begun failing.

Two things you should know about the 8.3 also, as I am fairly confident this is an 8.3 ISC. It requires a high-zinc oil and tends to need camshaft replacement around 9,000 hours of run time.

As for getting it home, if it's over 26k GVWR and seats over 16 passengers, it technically requires a CDL to operate until seats are out and title is reclassified as RV or MOTORHOME. There are people here that can help you with this, I am one of them. I also recommend you get familiar with my safety inspection thread...

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/re...ist-33026.html
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:14 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, absolutely the ISC. Good catch.

Maybe this makes more sense now... I was thinking that a vp44 and CAPS fuel system would operate on the same injection principle, and that the similar physical design of the two engines would mean a similar injector layout and a similar swap procedure. It probably wild speculation, but it sounds good in my head.

I’ve got a decent amount experience on gassers, but not a ton in the diesel world. The only injectors I’ve done were on an old 6.2 Detroit and it was a vastly simpler (and worse) machine. That being said, this is new territory but not completely outside my comfort level if I’m understanding the process correctly.

If it’s not the injectors and it’s a CAPS issue, at least I got the bus cheap enough that I can replace the injector pump and add a FASS lift pump and still be okay. I guess at that point I’d leave it down there and fly back home and try again once the mechanic is all done.

That’s really good info about the oil and camshaft, I’ll make a note of that for sure!

I didn’t realize what it actually took to make it a legal RV. Ideally I’d have the title immediately and get it registered properly before heading home, but my DMV is appointment only with the next available one being weeks away, and I’ve only got a few days to get this thing off the lot. I don’t see much option outside of taking my chances and asking forgiveness if necessary. I’m working through what it would take to get a temporary registration though.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:02 PM   #4
Traveling

You might be able to get away with limping it a few miles at very low speed to a shop for diagnosis, but it depends on the smoke. I would recommend having it towed. Black or grey - overfueling / underfueling. White - coolant. Blue - oil.

Fueling issues can cause engine damage if left unchecked and driven long enough.

Coolant in a cylinder can destroy the entire engine, and quickly.

Blue smoke is oil burning, which can be worn rings / cylinder walls, or turbo seals. Consistent blue smoke is generally rings or cylinder walls, blue smoke only on acceleration points to turbo seals.

Turbo seals can blow completely and cause a runaway condition that will destroy the engine if not stopped quickly enough, because the engine will literally run on its own crankcase oil until it seizes from oil starvation, or grenades from excessive RPMs. You can get a better idea of this in this thread...

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f33/b...elp-33577.html
Old 11-20-2020, 02:40 AM   #5
Traveling

And as far as taking your chances getting it home, I am headed to Phoenix next week(end)ish to get another member's purchase to NYS. Not trying to tell you what to do, but if this thing needs attention and arrangements can be made for towing / diagnosis / repair, the shop may not mind a few days holding it for pickup by someone properly licensed to get it home. Some here have had no trouble, but an accident or the wrong move around the wrong cop on the wrong day without proper licensing and endorsements could get very expensive, and possibly even jail time. I'm even willing to give pointers / driving lessons on delivery if desired, and I don't ask much for my time, considering.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Well, I wound up taking your advice and getting it towed. I found a local mechanic whom I know only as "Dead Eye" who arranged the tow with his buddy and started working on it at his shop. A couple other local mechanics knew of this bus (or thought they did- I believe this is the second to be sold) and these folks warned me that it needed a whole new motor. Well, Dead Eye got it running and feels pretty confident it won't be needing a full inframe. It sure does smoke and have low compression, but there's no blow-by. At the present time he's tearing into it and pulling the head to check for cracks/valve issues. It seems the PO had an injector go bad and kept driving anyway, so he wasn't exactly wrong saying it definitely needs injectors.

So, I got a little more than I bargained for, but Dead Eye and his secretary both said the bus was in excellent shape otherwise. I'm optimistic!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1356.jpg   IMG_1360.jpg   IMG_1361.jpg   IMG_1364.jpg   IMG_1590.jpg  

IMG_1592.jpg   IMG_1594.jpg   IMG_1597.jpg  
Old 12-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Nice-looking bus, seems like ideal skoolie material, not counting the messed-up engine.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:17 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Very nice bus.I hope you are able to get her running without too much hassle or expense.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:06 AM   #9
Almost There

Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: ISM 10.8L, B400R
You are in one interesting situation there Jaybz.

That bus looks like a terrific platform, even if it costs you several more thousand $$$$$. Hopefully its one of those deals where you get this out of the way and dont have to worry about it.

I cant wait for the next update from dead eye!!!
JamesKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks all! Looking forward to the journey.

For some reason I always wind up in odd situations like this. The only common denominator is.....me.

So, I spoke to Dead Eye and it turns out the head is not cracked, it just needed to go out to the machine shop to take care of the valves. That set me back $1450, so with new injectors I'm in it for just about $5k total. Still feeling good overall about the purchase, but hoping things start going more smoothly from here.