Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Hard Starting

I have a strange issue with my 8.3, normally the bus fires right up no issue, then about 2 weeks a go I had to pull front & rear tires on the right side up on 8in blocks to make enough room to slide my grey tank under it. It sat for 3 days that way & when I went to start it would turn over but not start, used priming pump to get fuel to injector pump but it wouldn't start, finally used either to start, spayed some in it fired up & had to put a couple more shots in & after about 20 seconds purring just fine. Ok next few times while sitting level fired up no problem so couple days ago I have the left side up on 8in blocks for 3 days to make room for putting in a hose reel & when I go to start it same thing so shot either in took a few seconds then runs fine, So I'm wondering why leaning it like that would cause fuel to drain away from injector pump?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Well bus was sitting level this weekend & I went to start it & same problem, one common denominater my neighbor pointed out was the temp was in the 100's, he thinks the seals in my proper pump ( hand pump} are bad & when it gets hot the fuel is drawing back. He had the same problem in his Chevy Duramax.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
hmm... does it have a full tank? It's not low on gas is it? Hate to see you chase a invisible gremlin that didn't exist.

Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
hmm... does it have a full tank? It's not low on gas is it? Hate to see you chase a invisible gremlin that didn't exist.

Good luck!
Tank is half full, by gadge & tap test, once I get it started by throwing a shot of starting fluid in there it sounds like it's only hitting on 3 or 4 cylinders then about 20 seconds later purrs like a kitten, last week temps were in the low to mid 80's fired right up everytime.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im not sure if that engine has a negative pressure fuel system?
my DT360 does and in really hot weather after I shut it off it sometimes runs perfect for like 15-20 seconds then will run rough... sometimes IU can pump the accelerator pedal and get it to stay running then it takes off and runs perfect after 10-15 seconds of roughness.. it loses Prime is what it seems.. Iknow diesel expands greatly in hot weather... perhaps it expands out then cpntracts leaving air bubblesif there is any ever so slight air leak i nthe system..

rathe than ether.. try pumping the hand pump for 30 seconds or so if it faila to start then try to start it... if this works then it is losing prime.. or pump until you feel good resistance on the pump meaning you have liquid fuel i nthe lines instead of air.. I can definitely feel on my hand pump when it primes up... it gets hard to pump then I stop and it runs perfect..

seems only to do it once in a while on mine..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote