Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2022, 01:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Hard starting cummins 8.3 mech. Injection

Hi all! I've had my 1999 Bluebird tcre since October and I've noticed that its harder and harder to start. It will crank, but just cranks with the occasional bang of a firing cylinder. I'm assuming that it is something to do with fuel, but I have no idea. Once it gets started it runs smoothly, but its not uncommon for it to take almost the full capacity of the batteries to get started.

Edit: I checked the fuel solenoid, its in working order.

0Wanderlust0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:44 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
diesel starting

needs a fine mist of fuel

needs enough heat in the air to get the fuel to ignite

fuel delivery problems, low air intake temperature, low compression, slow cranking speeds are things that can cause a crank but no start situation in a diesel engine. all of these things can happen at once.

there is a specification for minimum cranking speed. there is a specification for compression test while cranking on a cold engine. there is a specification for intake air temperature. There is a specification for quality of fuel injection spray and quantity. find the specifications and verify they are within specs.

fuel pump quantity and fuel injector are probably the two most difficult and may require outside shop or testing service.

double check starting procedure as outlined in the owners manual to verify correct procedure is being used.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote