Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2023, 10:10 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: BlueBird AA RE
Chassis: Pusher
Engine: 8.3 cummins 24
Rated Cap: 70+
How to check codes?

Hey folks
We’ve been travelling now over 3 months in our bus
“Mona”, from BC Canada down to the pan handle of Flordia.
We have a 2000 Bluebird with the 8.3 Cummins and I’m getting check engine light intermittently now so I wanna check to see what code that is.
Is there a way for me to check without having to take into Cummins shop? On that note are there any bus mechanics anywhere around Panama City , FL ??
Any help would be great, thanks all!

mtnfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 12:18 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnfreak View Post
Hey folks
We’ve been travelling now over 3 months in our bus
“Mona”, from BC Canada down to the pan handle of Flordia.
We have a 2000 Bluebird with the 8.3 Cummins and I’m getting check engine light intermittently now so I wanna check to see what code that is.
Is there a way for me to check without having to take into Cummins shop? On that note are there any bus mechanics anywhere around Panama City , FL ??
Any help would be great, thanks all!
You likely have a J1939 port near your feet or under your dash. It would be prudent to buy a J1939 reader to grab codes. Bluefires can do this, as well as some other cheaper devices. USB-Nexiq 2's etc. The J1939 ports are light grey in color, and have 9 pins. If you see one with only 6 pins, you have a J1708 Port, or you may have a more modern OBD2 port which did exist back then but wasn't on many 2000 year buses yet which is like a wide W looking shaped port.

It's costly just to read codes but it saves you money in self repairs, and also helps you know exactly what's wrong with your bus. (Peace of mind). Worth every penny IMO. If you are near the North Carolina/ South Carolina border, I can plug a bluefire in and read it for you for free. (Rock Hill, SC) But any truck stop may be able to do a code read, or potentially even an Autozone may have a reader you can plug in and get the codes.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 06:13 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Great. This one is a 6 pin . Right where you said, Looks like there is another one in the engine compartment 6 pin also.
I think I’ll invest in a reader . Thanks for the offer to help out, our plan is to head west from here. Need to find someplace warm for the winter thinking S.AZ …. Only have a propane buddy heater to take the edge off on cool mornings !
Old 12-22-2023, 07:04 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Yeah it's an older J1708, kind of surprising since most vehicles I think switched to J1939 around 1999, but nobody followed spec and manufacturers kind of all did their thing and added what they had available.

Some readers can use a 6 to 9 port adapter. A Bluefire can make use of this adapter.

Attached is a picture of a bluefire with the J1939 - J1708 adapter. The grey end will fit into your J1708 6 port. The device in the green square is the whole bluefire device, you then pair it to your phone using the bluefire app, and select J1708, save, restart the app, and then it should communicate with the bus and show you the codes along with other cool stuff like speed, True Odometer reading, RPM's, etc right to your phone. You could potentially set up a Samsung tablet or iPad up on the dash and have a digital speedometer etc. There's a lot of features that come with it.

It's important to note, not all adapters are the same some are missing pins but look identical. For yours though most should work since it's a J1708. The Grey part will have 6 male pins, but inside only 4 of them are actually populated, this is fine as most J1706 only has Ground, 12V PWR, Transmit, Receive lines (4 lines in total) even though there is 6 pins. It'll work. Just make sure when you go to buy an adapter that the grey side has 4 populated pins from close up pics, The green side of the adapter will only have 4 populated pins, but 5 pins unpopulated. The bluefire itself has 6 pins populated but 9 male pins, but is smart enough to work over the 4 pin J1708 if selected in the application. That's everything you need to know.

The sad thing is I bought this thing and was never able to use it because the J1708 connects to my VPM, ECM in other bus types, and my VPM was dead I was only able to get the codes because the 94-97 thomas buses have a push button flash code method that a lot of other buses do not have. You can test and see if you have this. See the youtube video here to see if you have the push button method, and you can get the codes for free if so.

I plan to use it though once it gets replaced w hich it is in the shop now getting done.
Attached Thumbnails
1365-1024.jpg  
Old 12-22-2023, 08:00 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah this bus came down from Canada so maybe that’s why the older system…I do have a diagnostic toggle switch next to the port under the dash I will try that soon, video was a big help, exactly what I was hoping
Old 12-22-2023, 08:39 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Let us know what your code numbers are and the make and model and year of your bus. We can help
Old 12-22-2023, 08:39 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Outstanding.

Tags
check engine, trouble codes