Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2020, 09:42 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1999
Chassis: MVP RE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Power steering Pump

I need help locating the power steering pump (if it has one) on a 1999 5.9 Cummins, RE Thomas. I have looked at the engine and could not tell if one was there. Could it be an internal engine type of setup?

budbud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:54 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by budbud7 View Post
I need help locating the power steering pump (if it has one) on a 1999 5.9 Cummins, RE Thomas. I have looked at the engine and could not tell if one was there. Could it be an internal engine type of setup?
Shot in the dark here, but if it's a pusher, it could either be an electric assist mounted on the steering gear / rack (some newer vehicles do this) or no power assist at all, as the majority of the bus' weight is in the rear.

However, here is an image of a couple typical 5.9 Cummins accessory drives, albeit the one on the right is from a Dodge Ram, possibly if yours has a P/S it will look similar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dodgecummins5.9l6.7lserpentinebelt2003to2012_447x.png
Views:	15
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	43799
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:08 PM   #3
Almost There

I just looked again at my motor and the belt configuration is not like either of the photos posted. I have 2 a/c compressors on the top side of the motor and coming off of the crank pulley, to the left is a belt for the radiator fan. Perhaps I have that electric assist as you mentioned. It’s a little too muddy today to move the bus to check out the steering box.

Attached are 2 photos of my motor. There is a device on the lower right side of the motor that looks like you can take a cap off to add or check a level. It also has a black rubber hose coming off of the top and going down by the block. I see vapor (smoke) coming from it and will drip a little oil. What is that device?
Attached Thumbnails
2A72605C-820C-4563-BB40-20FA14B1B7B5.jpeg   57274CA6-1271-4E5D-99AA-8FE153B89F03.jpeg  
Old 04-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
In looking at your photo, this is readily identifiable:

Name:	Thomas RE Accessory Drive.png
Views:	6
Size:	523.1 KB
ID:	43831
I presume your center pulley would be the water pump, and below it, the crank pulley. The last object beside the water pump does appear to be a fluid reservoir of some sort, as though it might supply a power steering unit.

I did some poking around and it appears that at least some of these may actually have an oddball gear-drive pump. I can only surmise and venture from that, that the shaft/gear arrangement goes through the timing cover and is driven by the timing gears. A strange setup, to be sure. Not sure how you're supposed to go about removing it. Here is a pic of one example.

Name:	Gear Driven PS Pump.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	43832
Otherwise, I would look further below to see if it has a standard belt-driven pump down lower beside the crank pulley. Hope at least some of this leads you in the right direction...
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:00 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
On a 96 5.9 cummins the power steering pump is gear driven. If looking from the front of the engine it will be on the right side under the injection pump, behind the front timing gear cover. Depending on application the vacuum pump is mated to it as well.

On the larger truck engines this is where the air compressor would normally be mounted.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:04 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by budbud7 View Post
I just looked again at my motor and the belt configuration is not like either of the photos posted. I have 2 a/c compressors on the top side of the motor and coming off of the crank pulley, to the left is a belt for the radiator fan. Perhaps I have that electric assist as you mentioned. It’s a little too muddy today to move the bus to check out the steering box.

Attached are 2 photos of my motor. There is a device on the lower right side of the motor that looks like you can take a cap off to add or check a level. It also has a black rubber hose coming off of the top and going down by the block. I see vapor (smoke) coming from it and will drip a little oil. What is that device?
Looks like the oil filler, and crankcase vent tube.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:13 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 8.3 Mech / P pump
In my bus (1998 Thomas SAFTLINER MVP-ER), the power steering pump is attached to the back of the air compressor, which is driven by gears under the timing cover and is located underneath the injection pump.

The pump then has 40(!) foot long hoses attached which run under the entire bus and connect at the steering gearbox under the driver's seat.

If you don't find the PS pump on the back of the air compressor, follow the lines from your steering gearbox back into the bus. It might be a pain but it's the most reliable way.
frankenboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:17 PM   #8
Almost There

Yes you are right, tracing the lines is the best solution and I will do that. I have another issue that I must deal with. I actually found the leak that I thought might be from the power steering. It is my fuel tank again. I guess a month or so ago when I was working on the leveling valve for the air bags, I drove the bus across the ditch in my back yard to work on it. Since the bags were flat the fuel tank drug the ground and dislodged the patch materials I put on in 2018.

I had over a half of tank and it was a fast leak. Someone on this forum instructed me to use a bar of soap to stop the leak then I used the tank repair kit. (I'm still very thankful) Well this time I'm at home and the tank is empty!