Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1972
Engine: Cummins NH220
Radiator for a Cummins 220

Hi All,
I am restoring a 1972 Crown with a rusty radiator (engine: Cummins 220).

I had the radiator boiled but the core is dead so it is unfixable. I am now looking for a replacement radiator (making a new one is $2000+).

Does anyone have an advice on where to find the part? School depots? Scrap Yards?

Thank you in advance!

hanaiapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanaiapa View Post
Hi All,
I am restoring a 1972 Crown with a rusty radiator (engine: Cummins 220).

I had the radiator boiled but the core is dead so it is unfixable. I am now looking for a replacement radiator (making a new one is $2000+).

Does anyone have an advice on where to find the part? School depots? Scrap Yards?

Thank you in advance!
Where did you get it boiled out at??
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1972
Engine: Cummins NH220
In Riverside, Fontana Radiator. They're supposed to be pretty good.
hanaiapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

I think you are s.o.l.

Due in large part to the shape I doubt you will find another radiator that is used that will fit.

$2K doesn't sound too bad.

The paperwork the church got with their Crown has a receipt for a new radiator that cost $3,500.00.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

To bad it's not up here I would recommend calling Star Radiator in Woodland & talk with them.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
seems abolut that time I would be making another type of radiator work...

I admit i know zero about crowns but seems making some bracketry and such and universal hoses that an aftermarket radiator of some type could be fabbed in.. there are so many shapes and sizes of radiators for about every application made.. and most of themn are under $1000 new OEM and aftermarket stuff thats less than $500.. even a primary and a remote to gain the amount of cooling reqiired..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:46 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Your best bet would be to get the dimensions of your radiator and call some big truck junkyards to see if they have anything close in size, also measure where it goes in the bus to see if something slightly different in size will fit
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:16 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Your best bet would be to get the dimensions of your radiator and call some big truck junkyards to see if they have anything close in size, also measure where it goes in the bus to see if something slightly different in size will fit
yeah. truck wrecking yard... n fab up whatever mounts u need
Old 07-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

The basic problem for those who own Crown or Gillig mid-mount engines is that nothing else uses radiators of those dimensions. They are significantly wider than most truck radiators and less than half as tall. They are also significantly thicker than most radiators as well.

It isn't helped by the fact that all of the Crowns that have been crushed have been crushed in a way that no usable parts are able to be harvested from them. The engine and transmission have to have holes drilled into them before everything is crushed.

I would like to know how we are saving the environment by crushing perfectly usable equipment.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:23 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I can't believe the prices posted. As long as the upper and lower tanks are remotely usable it should not be that big a deal. I have had several custom rads built from scratch here in Houston for about $300 bucks(?).
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:46 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
The basic problem for those who own Crown or Gillig mid-mount engines is that nothing else uses radiators of those dimensions. They are significantly wider than most truck radiators and less than half as tall. They are also significantly thicker than most radiators as well.

It isn't helped by the fact that all of the Crowns that have been crushed have been crushed in a way that no usable parts are able to be harvested from them. The engine and transmission have to have holes drilled into them before everything is crushed.

I would like to know how we are saving the environment by crushing perfectly usable equipment.

its a "feel good" thing for some people.. just like a study was done years back and found that a Jeep wrangler had less impact on the environment than did a prius.. when looked at from the eyes of the greenies - a prius is green and good and a jeep is evil and bad.. the study looked at overall impact from the manufacturing to the disposal.. i think they used a standard 100,000 miles as the lifecycle for both cars..

never mind that crushing 25000 lbs of steel and plastics and wood, copper wire etc... requires that much new material be manufactured to build a new bus that Might put out less emissions through its tail-pipe.. again never mind the impact required to manufacture the additional emissions equipment , install ot, carry it around in weight, etc..

there is no common sense in regulations..they are all bnasedo n lab tests.. and yes from a purely single point of view the newer busses emit less from the tailpipes thus helping the smog in certain cities.. but its NEVER enough for the groups... an old bus couldnt be sold and relegated to church or individual use where its obviopusly goping to get much less hours of use.. and yet its metal and such isnt destroyed,..,. thats not good enough...

in effect california is "so good for itself" that they will destroy perfectly good busses in the name of the environment.. and in effect "we dont care about pittsburgh" where all the new steel has to be made for new busses... elite wpuld be the word..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I can't believe the prices posted. As long as the upper and lower tanks are remotely usable it should not be that big a deal. I have had several custom rads built from scratch here in Houston for about $300 bucks(?).
Problem is in Ca the EPA & C.A.R.B has put a lot of radiator shops out of business or they have become simply remove & replace, Removing tanks, boiling & rodding & modifying is becoming a lost art, 10 to 12 yrs ago there used to be something like 5 shops close by 3 that could do the work I just mentioned & now their gone I have to drive 30 miles to find a real shop, Luckily he's in the middle of commercial farm country & works on a lot of BIG farm equipment. He's got tanks large enough that he was able to take my 112 gal fuel tanks & boil them out for me.