Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
Doe69936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 177
Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
Rear crank shaft seal

Any one know where I can find a seal for an 8.3 cummins apparently the auto parts can't find any for a kassett seal# 4090833 and I'm stuck till I can replace it
Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
TJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 558
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe69936 View Post
Any one know where I can find a seal for an 8.3 cummins apparently the auto parts can't find any for a kassett seal# 4090833 and I'm stuck till I can replace it
Looks like there a few online. Any truck service center should be able to get one fairly fast. Best to give them the engine serial # to make sure to get the right part.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:35 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Rivetboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Huntington beach
Posts: 709
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe69936 View Post
Any one know where I can find a seal for an 8.3 cummins apparently the auto parts can't find any for a kassett seal# 4090833 and I'm stuck till I can replace it
Have you tried NAPA ?
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:04 AM   #4
Skoolie
 
Doe69936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 177
Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
Hoping Napa will work but they were closed Saturday so come Monday I'll see

Hmm engine serial hadn't thought of that
Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 1,181
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
NAPA can get it.
i have a HUNNINGS and a CANNADYs heavy truck parts near me that almost stocks everything medium to heavy truck that you imagine
Hunnings is like walking into a willy wonka candy store
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
Skoolie
 
Doe69936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 177
Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
NAPA can get it.

i have a HUNNINGS and a CANNADYs heavy truck parts near me that almost stocks everything medium to heavy truck that you imagine

Hunnings is like walking into a willy wonka candy store
Wish I had a hunnings near me I'm off to check a Napa that's open Sunday says he could not find any thing but to bring the seal for measurement if not I'm probably going to have to find a frightliner dealer
Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 1,181
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
the normal city napas dont have a clue about medium duty and up stuff?
the rural area napa does.
ask them to get off there computer and pull there oldschool book out that they dont know how to use if they can even find it for national and or MooG seals and match your own up.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 1,181
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
DOE thats a KA-BAR in your profile pic.
did you play JARHEAD?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #9
Skoolie
 
Doe69936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 177
Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
the normal city napas dont have a clue about medium duty and up stuff?

the rural area napa does.

ask them to get off there computer and pull there oldschool book out that they dont know how to use if they can even find it for national and or MooG seals and match your own up.
No luck getting an off the book there is a truck center open tommorow and frightliner dealer in Lexington ky but can't do more till monday
Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #10
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,991
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe69936 View Post
Wish I had a hunnings near me I'm off to check a Napa that's open Sunday says he could not find any thing but to bring the seal for measurement if not I'm probably going to have to find a frightliner dealer

You're not dealing with a one-off Unobtanium part here, it's a fairly common engine. You need a NAPA *Truck* parts shop (it's sort of a separate division of NAPA with different parts catalogs and inventories) though they have access to the same parts warehouses. Either that or the salesperson needs to look up the correct chassis/engine year and model.



In my town, the NAPA shop does in fact stock auto and truck parts but in the next town over, it's 2 separate buildings, operated more-or-less independently (but I wouldn't be surprised if they are owned by the same folks).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:49 PM   #11
Skoolie
 
Doe69936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 177
Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
You're not dealing with a one-off Unobtanium part here, it's a fairly common engine. You need a NAPA *Truck* parts shop (it's sort of a separate division of NAPA with different parts catalogs and inventories) though they have access to the same parts warehouses. Either that or the salesperson needs to look up the correct chassis/engine year and model.



In my town, the NAPA shop does in fact stock auto and truck parts but in the next town over, it's 2 separate buildings, operated more-or-less independently (but I wouldn't be surprised if they are owned by the same folks).
Yeah the parts counter folks ain't what they used to be but there is a Napa truck center that I can check tommorow
Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:49 PM   #12
Skoolie
 
Doe69936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 177
Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
DOE thats a KA-BAR in your profile pic.

did you play JARHEAD?
No just like the photo
Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #13
Bus Crazy
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 1,181
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
cool
i played marine for awhile
saw it and had to ask
i have a few of them
some were used some were abused and some were decorations
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #14
Skoolie
 
Doe69936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 177
Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
Dad was army /air force didn't go in myself .thanks for your service
Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #15
Bus Nut
 
Rivetboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Huntington beach
Posts: 709
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe69936 View Post
Dad was army /air force didn't go in myself .thanks for your service
Army/ Air Corp as in WW 2 ?
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:43 PM   #16
Skoolie
 
Doe69936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 177
Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
No he did 4 years army and 6 years airforce
Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:55 PM   #17
Bus Nut
 
Rivetboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Huntington beach
Posts: 709
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe69936 View Post
No he did 4 years army and 6 years airforce
OK, Thanks. WW 2 it was the Army Air Corp. Air Force became a service after the war. Just curious, my Pops was Army Air Corp.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #18
Skoolie
 
Doe69936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 177
Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
He was definitely not old enough for ww2 he was end of nam
Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:48 AM   #19
Skoolie
 
Doe69936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 177
Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
So I got. The seal from frightliner who used the engine serial# and it turns out the seal number on mine was an outdated number probably why no one could find it
Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:10 AM   #20
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 13,090
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
that happens a lot.. part numbers get updated.. oir the OEM puts their own number on it.. ie international puts their own part numbers on common things such as bendix air compressors. . the IH number comes back hard to get.. the Bendix number shows it everywhere.,



for future reference.. NAPA. locations located near warehouses and trucking depot's often carry many MD parts.. the NAPA in columbus ohio on feddern ava is one such store.. I buy bus parts there all the time. .. they can also look them up and have them senbt to other stores.. so if you find a store you like and are halfway across the country ,they may be able to look up your part and tell you the NAPA store nearest to you who has it or where it can be shipped.. I have done that a couple times when ive been far away and had something break.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×