Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2022, 07:03 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Engine: Cummins 5.9L
Remanufactured/Rebuilt 5.9L ISB

So our mechanic says that compression in cylinder 1 indicates bad rings. We saw this coming with how much oil began leaking from the blow-by after out last trip.

Anyone know of a reasonable and quality online (or local in Dallas, Tx) that sells rebuilt or remanufactured the Cummins ISB 5.9l motors?
Everywhere I've found online range from $6500 - $10k. If that's what it is then that's what it is. I was just hoping to find a reputable place on the lower end of that range or even cheaper.

Thanks!

Mtrx804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 07:24 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
ISB is a parent bore block. To rebuild one takes a lot of machine work, and that work typically isn't cheap.

If you need cheaper, look to the used route. They've used the ISB in some fashion since the 90's, and it was known as the 6bt before that. So be careful, as a 5.9 cummins might not be the 5.9 cummins you have/need.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:04 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Oh, yeah I meant matching one up to the same make/build as my engines serial number.
Its a 2001 Bluebird TC2000, from what I can tell the motor in it has a years used range of 99-02. What I can't figure out is why the 02 ones im finding are 20hp and tq lower than my 01. Both are HO.

Yeah rebuild vs new is nearly negligible aside from the labor to pull and put in the new one. I figured going with a reman one, which was done by Cummins, would just be more peace of mind and have a little bit of a warranty.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:07 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
We had a delivery truck that had a cylinder go bad-- usually it is number one, so we replaced with a long block from LKQ-- spent about $10,000 on the total repair, and it ran about 10,000 miles miles and failed. We junked the truck.

Looking back, I really think this truck had an injector that was dribbling or something and ruined that one cylinder-- (gauled the cylinder from over fueling...) so if you end up going with a reman or long block-- either replace all the injectors, or get them all tested. This was a terrible mistake that we made.

I would think there are good used engines out there-- maybe in the rust belt-- before the craziness started I bought a decent 2WD 1996 Dodge Pickup with 214,000 miles for $3250 from a dealer in Arkansas. Of course that was a P-Pump engine, and you may have a VP44. Being an automatic-- this pump was set for 190 HP-- but the 5 speeds are set at 210, I think....

I also have a really nice 1999 Dodge 2wd (VP44) that I bought for $8000 (before the craziness) with only 85,000 miles. So-- especially in 2wd pickups-- there is stuff out there that can be bought... and pull the engine ,and sell what is left...
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:14 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Lower ratings were found with different transmissions.
190hp was paired with the AT545
210hp was paired with the 2000 series

225hp - 250hp was with 3060
If your having Cummins do it, have them give you the RV flash. The engine has the hard parts go higher, but they are all detuned for bus service.

While the ISB doesn't have wet sleeves, I have seen many rebuilds at this point that use an $1100 kit with all new pistons and gaskets.
I have seen a lot that still have cross hatching and they run a hone through them and deck the head.

The ISB is supposed to have thick enough walls to be able to machined twice (unless repairing deep gouge or something).

When my ISB starts smoking, I'll be trying to salvage what I have. There's local guys here that do this type of work for pretty reasonable if I wasn't comfortable taking this on.

If I do the labor, I can best case reman my engine for $2000. If it needs lots of machine work, might be $3000. If the engine grenades, then I might look for an ISC donor bus and try to cram that in there.

There's a few videos out there, that you may want to watch whether you do it or have someone else do it.

https://youtu.be/FgdPX9vZtvw
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:15 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, at this point were pretty much looking to overhaul it all in a sense. New fuel lines, fuel pump, ect. <knock on wood> multiple mechanics said the transmission sounds solid, which it should for only having 160k miles on it. Part of the reason I was hoping to find a reasonably priced rebuilt/reman motor.

Had I not just upgraded everything from 12v to 48v with 900ah of lifepo4 batteries plus solar I would consider starting all over.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:21 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Problem is I live in an HoA and they REALLY don't like me because of the bus, I mean RV. So i have no place to work on it.
The mechanic I've been working with estimated about 40-50 hours to pull it, take it apart, have head machined (about $1500?), reassemble with an overhaul kit, and put it back in. I was quoted about 25-30 hours for just pulling and putting a new one in.

Some of the options I've come across are:
https://www.catrucks.com/truck-parts...b-truck-engine
https://bestremanengines.com/product...ird--Reman/189
Old 09-16-2022, 09:33 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrx804 View Post
Problem is I live in an HoA and they REALLY don't like me because of the bus, I mean RV. So i have no place to work on it.
The mechanic I've been working with estimated about 40-50 hours to pull it, take it apart, have head machined (about $1500?), reassemble with an overhaul kit, and put it back in. I was quoted about 25-30 hours for just pulling and putting a new one in.

Some of the options I've come across are:
https://bestremanengines.com/product...ird--Reman/189

So your looking at 10-20 more hours of overhauling verses installing a reman.

The problem with cheap reman engines are that it's a relative term. Some are going to refurb all the parts without pulling the head (paint the block). Some might pull the head and machine it, hone the cylinders, change the main bearings, etc. I would clarify with the seller what was overhauled before going down that road with them.

Personally if your mechanic will do an out of frame overhaul for under 2k of additional labor, you have 2k of parts and machine work. You have an overhauled engine for a best case 4k. This also keeps all quality on the mechanic verses a premature failure blamed on shoddy reman from jasper or some unknown. The problem is finding these independent mechanics that are willing to rebuild.. if you go to Cummins dealer, they don't give options.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 10:06 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Well, $2k in parts, $1500 machine shop, and about $5k in labor to perform all the work.

But yeah thats a good idea to ask the engine shops what reman means to them.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:35 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
A very good idea. As some places seem to consider a fresh coat of gray paint on a used engine "remanufactured".

Anyways, with ring damage, you likely have bore damage as well, and would need and overbore, new pistons, rebuilding the head, new injectors, fresh pump, etc., etc., etc.

You're looking at thousands. Warranties are interesting, as some warranties only cover the part. They'll continue giving you junk engines for as long as you want to continue installing them. I had a customer install a "reman" from a well known "remanufacturer"(where my gray paint on a used engine came from). After the engine threw a rod twice in the warranty period, he had about paying 3x what he would have had in me doing it right the first time. The big issue is that a rebuild requires months to do. You might only have a week of labor into it, but it takes a week or two for parts, a week or two for the machine shop, a week or two unplanned. Some people can't wait that long on getting their stuff back on the road.

If this is an FE bus, you can have the engine swapped in a day or two. I'd estimate a lot more time in a rebuild, but then again, I'm usually too thorough when I do one of those.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:55 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I trust this mechanic, or well his shops work thus far. One thing I do like about the CA Trucks is they post videos of the motors running and the exact engine you'll be getting. Haha I guess that could go 2 ways though. They stand by their product, or they use it to make people get the warm and fuzzies.

I'm waiting for a couple quotes for a brand new drop in condition engine but I'm guessing those will be at least $15k - $20k.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:30 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
Car-part.com might help you
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 02:20 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Good thing is the crank is probably fine, rods, head should be fine if no overheating problems, so a valve job and just pistons if no scouring in cylinder, otherwise a bore job and oversize pistons. Getting a rebuilt engine from someone else may have problems that got overlooked in the rebuild. I always like to keep my stuff because I know the history. Also everyone is having problems getting parts so a quick rebuild is not guaranteed. Another way is a used engine, most will give some kind of warranty so if it shoots craps in the first month or 2 they should replace it but you will be out the labor. I vote a used junk yard engine.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 07:38 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, I think they were giving me "worst case" but finding some reman ones done by Cummins for not a whole lot more than having mine rebuilt is kinda tempting. Then again, I might just buy a junk one and rebuild it myself and make it a little more beefy.

Comes with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. I want to make sure to read the fine print on it, id hate to have to pay for the labor of swapping them out every time one decides to grenade within a year.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:00 AM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: TS FE 2509
Engine: Cummins 5.9l ISB CM550
Rated Cap: 34
new engine from cummins will be around $21k installed but 100k mile warranty. a guy I follow just had his done but it was a 12v on a 1998 tc2000
Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:31 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Well, reman in 2020 from an authorized 3rd party shop. Yeah I got a quote for new-new and reman from them directly and they were 16k for reman and 25k for new.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:28 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
Contact AAA bus sales in Phoenix and see what he has for engines. He scraps 2-3 buses a week and keeps back any good used parts. Walked through his warehouse and looked at numerous motors and transmissions. Also a great place to deal with, upfront and honest.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 09:35 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

I rebuilt my 5.9 and did all the labor myself and I had it cost me close to $3,000 in parts and machine work off the top of my head. I also had one sleeve installed and all the cylinders bored .050 mm over along with a fresh valve job on the cylinder head. That does not include the cost of injectors or any other add ons like water pumps and so forth.
Good luck with the project.
DixonM is offline   Reply With Quote