Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Ring & Pinion

I have a Crown pusher so the pinion faces to the rear of the bus, I have opertunity to rob some parts off a couple crowns that are getting crushed but they are midship engines so the pinion faces forward, the ring & pinion come out as a unit but if there both Easton's will they be interchangable?

Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Ring & Pinion Where??

I am a Crown guy. I am not sure if he ring and pinion will interchange. My 1968 Crown is old and tired. I bought a complete
late model, Rockwell rear axle with a 3:55 ratio, to slip into my bus. The old Greyhound buses used the same rear axle arrangement. This could be a source for ya. I also have a couple old Greyhounds as a 4107 and 4905, with your set up.
If ya don't find anything, keep looking........Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
JDE

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD 6-71T
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Ring & Pinion

I'm wanting to change out the differential gear to something higher so I can get better top end speed (54 mph at 2200ish is about all I get now). I just talked with a local shop and without knowing exactly what is in there, he quoted me $2500-3500 + labor for the job. That seems a little steep to me, but I really have no idea. I have no issue putting a used gear in there, but not sure where to look to find one. I've got a 1990 Crown, DD with a 10-speed Roadranger. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks

Jason
JDE is offline   Reply With Quote