Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2020, 09:39 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2003
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
Scan tool recommendations

After replacing my ecm with a reman, new batteries and new bulbs for the dash indicator lights, my "warning" light comes on after about a minute of running. When this happens the fast idle switch stops working. If I understand correctly I need a j1939 compatible scan tool to diagnose. I have a couple obd2 code readers, is it as simple as buying an adapter or do I need a specific scan tool? I have been looking at them online but not really sure what I need, please make a recommendation.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:30 AM   #2
Almost There

I figured I would update since I never got any replies. I ordered a used Diesel laptops diesel linq off ebay and also purchased cummins insite program off ebay. With both of those I was able to hook up to my ecm to read codes and the cummins insite program has a wealth of onformation and diagnotics to hopefully help me resolve the issue. The active code 241 is for speed sensor. I will begin diagnosing it over the weekend hopefully.
aridgedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:33 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I am glad you foubnd a solution to your scan tool dilemma. I am quite surprised the thread was not picked up by some of the diesel techies on here.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:56 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
This is no use now, of course, but on my IC there's a button next to the data port under the dash that you can press and it will display any active codes by flashing the dash lights, if you don't happen to have a diagnostic tool handy. I assume Thomases have something similar.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:26 PM   #5
Almost There

Well I was able to fix the check engine (warning) light today, without actually having to do any repairs. The check engine light started as soon as I replaced the ECM. I had that in the back of my mind that something with the ECM could be off since I never had a check engine light before the ECM died. Anyways it turned out that there is a parameter/ setting for how the ECM receives speed signal from the chassis. It was on the wrong setting. I was reading though the cummins insite manual under the vehicle speed sensor and it said "magnetic" is the most common setting. Mine was on "tailshaft datalink". I changed it to "magnetic" and light went out and when I drove it with a data log running it showed the ECM was now receiving a speed signal. Now on to figuring out the ABS light. Fortunately the diesel linq I purchased will read the brake codes and now I am awaiting a download for "wabco toolbox" software.
aridgedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:31 AM   #6

While I have no experience with Skoolies in particular, I do have some experience with Ford and Dodge Diesel Engines (specifically 7.3 PS and 5.9 24v Cummins). By far the best tool I can recommend is Autoenginuity's scan tool. It is relatively inexpensive and you can add "packs" for other vehicles. It finds damn near everything and allows you to run a plethora of tests. My son and I regularly use it on our Diesels (7.3 PS and 5.9 24v Cummins).

https://www.autoenginuity.com/products/scantool/

BDK
BDK1234 is offline   Reply With Quote